Should I Buy a Tube Amp?

Dave Carpenter

I've got Chorus II's & a 10 yr old 100 watt Carver receiver. The Carver's having problems & I want to upgrade anyway. I've been thinking about replacing it with Conrad Johnson tubes (preamp & amp). There are a lot of other options out there, some less expensive but the C-J reviews are mostly glowing.

I'm pretty sure the sound will be a major improvement. But I don't want something I've got to keep tweaking. I'm also a little worried about the power. Occasionally, I really crank it. I've bottomed out the little Carver many times. It doesn't have the headroom & couldn't supply the dynamic power.

My brother-in-law got me into Klipsch in the first place. He has a pair of La Scalas he plays with an old Macintosh tube. They sound very good & that's what triggered the upgrade thoughts. I'm very happy with the sound of the Chorus - just interested in making the right choice on an upgrade in the amp.

Comments/suggestions are very welcome!

Dave

I would focus more on how much better your Chorus will sound with the tubes. A conrad Johnson MV55 and PV10 combo would blow your mind on those speakers. I have Lascala's and have run both solid state and tubes. I am here to say that with the tubes the midrange has a prescence that is unbelievable. To me the solid state just seems a little flat in that key area. Power should not be a problem. Remember, tubes do not have the same clipping characteristics as solid state. They do not exhibit the hardness associated with solid state. I believe your chorus are about 100 db efficient. If that is the case, the 45 wpc on the CJ should drive your speakers to painful levels. I can achieve that level with about 12 wpc on my Lalcalas. The tubes on the CJ are common,and very reliable. Joe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought the amps and improved the reef tank fisrt, then I bought the house, ditto on the newer, that is why I would look at Jolida, Antique Sounds, Doc Bottlehead or DecWare deals instead of modded Dynaco ST70s ...

I agree with Colin if your budget is tight any of the above mentioned are excellent choices. One of the downsides to the older Modified gear is that it is hard to tell if it is a good or a bad mod. The old stuff can be fantastic, but for your first,it is my feeling that you want to make it as hassle free as possible. Joe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before buying a tube amp, you might go to this site (http://www.belgaudio.com/kcmap.htm).

They test a set of Cornwall's, but also have some very interesting information (measurements, not opinion)on the inherent nonlinearities involved with tube amps. For accurate, flat response a quality solid state is the only choice. I have several of both and prefer the solid state on my Belles.

Now I'll duck as the flabby bass nonlinear tube guys attack.

Regards,

Bill Rawls cool.gif

While it is true that rooms and any reflecting surface create standing waves that will add to or subtract from the radiating source, you still end up with the best mix if you start out with the best mix.

A good analogy is a photo copy machine. If you use the gest origional, you get the best copy. This is the philosophy I have and once again it is a measureable fact of life.

God I love America,

Bill Rawls cool.gif

Just an update. I've listened around & at the moment, my heart's desire is the C-J Premier 11 amp with a PV10 preamp. When I get back from this business trip, I'll take them home for a listen. I read the article on Cornwalls / tube/ solid state amps. Although there may be more distortion, the amp did sound very, very good. It's a pricey setup, though (for me) -- about $5,000 for the amp & preamp.

I know there are cheaper, good systems out there, but I've not heard anyone complain about the sound of the C-J equip. & they seem to hold their value very well. But, for this price, I could get a McIntosh or the C-J SS amp. Still thinking & looking ... feedback & references always welcome. Had my last receiver for 10 yrs, this one will prob. last longer.