New Epic CF-3 Owner

Jefferson6599

What issue are you actually hearing? Buzzing at all frequencies, one frequency? One crunchy woofer?

Sadly, the Epic series is known for having some cabinet issues as well. I thought I'd blown a tweeter, but it was the front panel had a couple stripped screws and was vibrating at 200Hz.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:02 AM, Jefferson6599 said:

On a side note how much power are you guys feeding these things? 

I first fell in love with Klipsch for two reasons, I am hard rock/metal fan and paired with the fact they were always more efficient than the other brands I looked at in their price range and just didn't require a ton of power to make them rock it a match made in heaven.  My first 5.1 channel receiver was a Yamaha that put out 75 WPC and it was enough to drive the reference series back in 1999.  I'm throwing 110 WPC at those same speakers today and they sound the same.

I run a highly updated Carver M-1.0t on mine and has been my daily driver for a decade now.  460 watts per channel on tap. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, DirtyErnie said:

What issue are you actually hearing? Buzzing at all frequencies, one frequency? One crunchy woofer?

Sadly, the Epic series is known for having some cabinet issues as well. I thought I'd blown a tweeter, but it was the front panel had a couple stripped screws and was vibrating at 200Hz.

you probably described it best as one crunchy woofer.  One woofer is breaking up, crackling/static?  Its more noticeable at low volume.  Not sure how to describe it, but crunchy works.  I'm not technical enough or understand the frequency thing.  I'm not even sure how to answer the question.  

On 11/25/2022 at 5:23 PM, veloceleste said:

If you confirm woofer is bad, call Bill Legall at Millersound in Lansdale. He would be able to tell you if it can be rebuilt. He is a legend in the world of driver restoration.

http://www.millersound.net/

Thank You!  just got off the phone with Bill and he says he can rebuild it.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jefferson6599 said:

Thank You!  just got off the phone with Bill and he says he can rebuild it.  

And you're darn sure it's not just the center dust cap, right?  I had one that did that and I could press down while playing and it stopped.  All it took was some MEK to remove the dust cap and black rubber cement and I was back in business.

You can always disconnect me woofer from the other speaker so they would sound the same.

Before sending out one speaker maybe confirm only one has a problem.

If I had 2 bad woofers I would look for 2 other drivers to match and put one in each unit.

But that is just my style.

Cheap.

9 hours ago, veloceleste said:

Great news! Let us know when you get the woofer back from Millersound how everything turned out.

I was planning on driving up up to Lansdale, Pa this morning to drop off the woofer, but for the heck of it took all the woofers out, cleaned up the contacts, moved the woofers around to different spots, and that helped.  Funny enough when I reconnected that woofer in another spot it still sounded bad, for some reason I decided to just screw them all back in and test everything one more time.  I hooked them up to my Kenwood KR-7400 and a newer Marantz SR5008.  Ran both my turntables and connected a cd player to the Marantz and played a few CDs.  I don't get it, but they sound better.  There is still a little distortion there, but not like it was was when I first hooked them up.  I think I am going to hold off for now and focus on a couple of other things, like a silver faced receiver with at least 120WPC to see how they sound.  There is a Pioneer SX 1050 local that I am going to check out.  At that point I will make a decision on the woofer.  

I also need rubber feet or something to put under the spikes the speaker came with.  Right now they are sitting on the floor.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale A B said:

You can always disconnect me woofer from the other speaker so they would sound the same.

If I had 2 bad woofers I would look for 2 other drivers to match and put one in each unit.

Cheap.

It crossed my mind...  I was thinking of replacing 2, but thought it would make more sense to part them out, rather than spend more on them.  One of the people I reached out to recommended an Infinity driver that was close to the original.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:57 AM, avguytx said:

And you're darn sure it's not just the center dust cap, right?  I had one that did that and I could press down while playing and it stopped.  All it took was some MEK to remove the dust cap and black rubber cement and I was back in business.

It was the 1st thing I checked after reading posts about that issue on here.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:04 PM, veloceleste said:

There is a well known scammer on CL who advertises a Pioneer SX1050 in the $300 price range, as well as many Klipsch Heresy so be careful with that if you don’t mind me saying. Also, if the speakers are in hardwood floors, use a coin with a small sticky felt pad furniture slide on one side to put under the spikes. Lastly, for what you paid for the CF3’s, you should more than get your money back even with the additional cost of a professionally rebuilt woofer.  I saw those speakers on South Jersey CL and considered making an offer but it wasn’t in the cards for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the heads up.  After looking around on-line a little I decided to do what any hockey player would do in this situation.  Grab 8 pucks to place under the spikes.  Not sure why it took me so long to think of it...   And I would be very leery of an SX-1050 for $300.  I am  second in line on the one I want to check it out.  its local to me and he is asking $1,400, but has it couples with an equalizer that I am not interested in. We use the same shop and I already confirmed it was recently in and gone over and checked out.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 7:05 PM, Dale A B said:

Cheap.

Why on earth would you do that? If you disconnect one woofer, you screw with the bow tuning and with the crossover. Better part with the speakers then! Or, better, have them fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 10:44 AM, avguytx said:

@Jefferson6599  Any updates on woofer?  I know it's the holiday season so things tend to slow down.

Update...  I lost out on the Pioneer, and decided to pull the trigger on a bigger Kenwood.  Hooked up a KR9400 that puts out 120wpc to see how they made the CF-3's sing.  Well I ended up disappointed.  The distortion came back, and even if I adjust my bass, mid, treble, the best I can do is 4.5 before the speakers completely break down. 

In the process of putting a meter on the woofers to see if they are OK.  The first two I tested came up as 6.3 and 5.2 on the multimeter.  Going to pull the other two now.  

Curious if those readings are OK?  from the videos I watched on line they seem to be within reason.

And the hockey pucks under the spikes work great.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:48 AM, Jefferson6599 said:

so 3 of the woofers read 6.2 or 6.3 and the 4th one reads 5.2.  Does this mean anything?

Probably a warped voice coil that's rubbed some insulation off a couple of turns and is shorting against the magnetic plates.  
Local shop could probably change out the voice coil.