Klipsch Pro La Scala Type L-S-BG

Netsrac

Hi there

New to here and have a question

My friends husband passed away a couple years ago and she wants to give me a pair of Klipsch Pro La Scala Type L-S-BG

I don't really need them and was wondering what a fair price would be for this pair in good condition serial #'s 1050 & 1052 

Thanks

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies

I've seen some online (kijiji) going between 2500-3500 CDN$ brand new 17000 CDN$ 😮

Funny the one asking 3500 is in very bad condition

I am not very familiar with the Pro La Scala, what can anyone tell me about the ones I have and how old they are.

I have a Marantz amp, but not sure it would do these LSI justice.

I already have big 11.2 set-up with Klipsch surround speakers and SVS subs and only place I could put these would be in a game room, but would need an amp and from what I read these work better with subs and not sure the wife would like more speakers in the house 😶

Anyways I promised my friend that I would keep them rather than sell them for cheap as there is sentimental feeling behind them.

If I were to keep them, what would be my best set-up for them (amp? sub?)

I live just outside western tip Montreal, Quebec Canada

Thanks

Edited by Netsrac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Netsrac said:

Thanks for the replies

I've seen some online (kijiji) going between 2500-3500 CDN$ brand new 17000 CDN$ 😮

Funny the one asking 3500 is in very bad condition

I am not very familiar with the Pro La Scala, what can anyone tell me about the ones I have and how old they are.

I have a Marantz amp, but not sure it would do these LSI justice.

I already have big 11.2 set-up with Klipsch surround speakers and SVS subs and only place I could put these would be in a game room, but would need an amp and from what I read these work better with subs and not sure the wife would like more speakers in the house 😶

Anyways I promised my friend that I would keep them rather than sell them for cheap as there is sentimental feeling behind them.

If I were to keep them, what would be my best set-up for them (amp? sub?)

Thanks

They don’t need much power to sound great, but I run mine with a Carver TFM-35. Condolences for your friend and congrats on the LSI!

So I have a question

I have a pair of Klipsch RP8060FAB as my fronts for my surround sound system

Is it worth it to swap out with these with Pro La Scala ?

Or should I use those as dance speakers in game room and maybe power them with Sonos Amp as I have many sonos products

Edited by Netsrac

52 minutes ago, Netsrac said:

So I have a question

I have a pair of Klipsch RP8060FAB as my fronts for my surround sound system

Is it worth it to swap out with these with Pro La Scala ?

Or should I use those as dance speakers in game room and maybe power them with Sonos Amp as I have many sonos products

I’d keep the surround system as it is unless you want to upgrade your center as well. The Sonos will do them well in the game room. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Netsrac said:

how  cool  ,a  Forum Member from Quebec  , Salut   , Comment ca va  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OO1 said:

how  cool  ,a  Forum Member from Quebec  , Salut   , Comment ca va  

Tres bien merci

I speak better than I can write though.

So I ordered a sonos amp and will place these in my basement game room - I have 30 day return on amp from Amazon in case does not sound good with them

I will try to get these setup for SB this weekend.

I've been doing a lot of research and found that these are Industrial La Scala which have K43 heavy duty woofer

quote from another post I found "BG type which is black fiberglass mat with al trim (the most highly prized type)."

I look forward to having these in my game room

and since I have industrial style look they will blend in I hope.

Basement.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

La Scalas can be powered and sound good with almost any high quality QUIET amplifier producing between 5 and 500 watts.  I emphasize quiet because these speakers are very sensitive, in the sense of very efficient.  That's how they can produce high volume with even a low-powered amplifier.  It also means that if the amplifier makes any noises of its own, like hissing or buzzing, it will be audible with your La Scalas.  One of the great things about your speakers is that they can reveal the finest details in the music in your recordings.  It also means any sounds that your system makes will also be audible.  That said, this is more of a factor in a quiet carpeted listening room with just one or two people carefully listening.  In your games room, the typical sound level will likely be loud enough for any system sounds to be inaudible.

It looks like you have an excellent games room.  I hope you can find good spots for your Scalas.  As you said, the industrial BG models are the most prized, and also the sturdiest of all the La Scala models.  There's a small thing to be careful with.  The anodizing on the aluminum edge guards is not very thick, so when cleaning them, avoid abrasive cleaners and use a light touch.

Here's a funny thing about black La Scalas:  they appear to get smaller over time, as they become part of the landscape of the room.  They gradually go from humungous to pretty big, to just big, as the months and years go by.

As for amplifier power, whatever you have will work, assuming some common sense with the volume control.  If the speakers start making funny noises, like an odd buzzing, turn down the volume immediately!  To be fair, that applies to all speakers, of all brands and types.  Keep the drunk away from the volume control!  If he tries to see how loud your speakers will go, bad things can happen.  A very high-powered amp can blow things, but a low-powered amp can also do damage, by going into a state called "clipping", when the volume is WAY too high.  When that happens, the overloaded amplifier will put out a kind of distortion that's very damaging, especially to tweeters.

I don't mean to scare you.  Things like that only happen at extreme volume levels, likely when it's so loud that everyone sober is covering their ears.  This is just my way of saying that these are special speakers, so treat them with the respect that they deserve, and you'll be putting them in your will for the next generation. 

The Klipsch Heritage Series factory is in Hope, Arkansas, where Klipsch speakers have been built by hand since 1947, and it's not very big.  Wm. Bradford, who tested your speakers, also tested my 1974 La Scalas.  Others who are more familiar with Industrial La Scalas will likely chip in with more accurate guesses, or even certainties.  Your serial numbers are a big help, of course.  Thanks for that.  As for me, I can only guess mid 1970s to mid 1980s, or maybe even 1990.  The thing is, your actual speaker parts, the drivers, should be in fine condition.  The woofers, in particular, last indefinitely, as in a really long time.  This is because their surrounds are made of doped paper, unlike the much more popular foam, which starts to disintegrate after 20 years or so.  The capacitors in the crossovers do need to be replaced every 30 years or so, but if your speakers sound fine, there's no need to worry.

Congrats on acquiring a fine pair of speakers, and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Netsrac said:

can anyone tell me about the ones I have and how old they are.

II would think that  these speakers are 1978 or 1979  based on the Serial no 1050 and 1052 , these speakers should have the AA Network/ K-77 /k-55V  Alnico drivers / k-43   round magnet 

to be  exact on the Manufacturing Year  , you can start a thread on " ASK THE HISTORIAN"    @JRH  could look up the log books

• Thanks 1

OK so a few things

I picked up the speakers today and OMG they weigh a ton, thank god I had help

I DJ'd for 25 years and had similar speakers that sure did not weigh this much(or I'm just older and weaker 😉 )

So late friends wife told me that he had bought these brand new back in the late 70's which would make sense as this video I found on youtube looks like the same but could not see the serial number clearly.

I am now just waiting for my sonos amp which from what I have read and told, it will be more than adequate to power these speakers as they are very efficient meaning don't need a big amp to get good sound out of these.

Also the good thing about hooking up to sonos, I can limit volume as have kids who like to push the boundaries of my speakers when I am not home. 

Let you all know how it sounds once setup

Thanks

• Like 2