POLL : Jubilee - to build or not to build

michael hurd

----------------

On 1/19/2003 10:39:55 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

home version is 2 way...commercial version is 3 way
----------------

While I know that is right it still seems kinda odd to me for something that would be often used in movie theaters.

The reason I say this is that the dolby noise reduction process that almost all movie soundtracks go through rolls off everything above 15kHz.

Is it more efficient to cover a given frequency range with a three way then it is with a two way, or does it allow the three way to handle more power??

Peace, Josh

"Just becouse the Jubilee goes one note lower "

Those interested in the frequency response of the Jubilee vs the Klipschorn should obtain a copy of the JAES, vol. 48, no. 10, October 2000:

A Revised Low-Frequency Horn of Small Dimensions, PWK and Roy Delgado jr.

I would loosely describe it as a pair of stacked 12" drivers in a LaScala style folded horn with the mouth facing backwards into the selfcontained corner. Those of you familiar with the '59 version of the Hartsfield horn will be familiar with the design.

The article gives the area at several points along the length, as well as the back volume for the drivers, and the T/S parameters for same. Enough information is given for the home constructor to be able to build a pair.

I have found an inexpensive driver that has the correct T/S parameters and is in stock at three different distributors.

djk WHERE did you find woofers with t/s papameters? Also where is the passiv unit located? IT was not mentioned in the A.E.S. paper. Only reference to t/s of two 12 inch woofers. I dont like passive woofers. They cant be controled that well. Transient motion is not controled if back chamber is to large. Sloppy attack & decay + always out of phase.

While we are waiting for the Jubilee to come to the home market how about a different approach.

Jubilee for sale in a limited basic, intermediate and custom kit form shipped with a returnable camera, test cd, audio analyzer(or software loaded onto a pc utilizing the OEM microphone) and instructions from Klipsch.

You take a picture of your your completed system, test it for 30 days and return the results to Klipsch R+D(in the case of the PC they are emailed daily).

For participation in this program you have access to the R+D components and can choose the ones you want to keep for your system prior to general release of the product.

This way Klipsch can offset some of the R+D costs, some unusal possibly reproducible design variants will be documented for manufacture, all the tech freaks can have it now, and the limited systems from this endeavor become unique collector items that may some day become part of the Klipsch museum.

They might even go as far as issue R+D serial numbers. It was not so long ago that laboratory systems for public consumption were part of the hi-fi domain.

JMHO

The first 50 Khorns were produced from the mid 1940's on. Klipsch was a small privately held and fledgling company that had no real financial leverage with suppliers to maintain specific component inventory. The market was competitive and sometimes any vendor inventory that could possibly be available to Klipsch was consumed by those with large procurement contracts or that made volume purchases. A tough market for Paul but he was a survivor. So they tried to use what was best and available to build those early horns. I really don't think that the customers at the time were on the large part willing or technically ready to choose their componentry. But I am sure there were a few.

The difference now is that they are a multimillion dollar company held by investors who have vendors who are willing to build whatever they want if a volume purchase is there.

Klipsch has a vast array of off the shelf parts. The plans although prototype, have obviously drawn for the speaker cabinets, and most likely, the short list of components has been identified. Many most likely off the shelf.

This could be done in one slick series of Klipsch part-recommended kits to the consumer in a relatively short period of time that appeal to audiophiles in all price ranges.

Bring your own enclosure materials and Klipsch provides the rest.

Hmmm.. Jubilees in 3/4" Acrylic!

"djk WHERE did you find woofers with t/s papameters?"

I found a $50 woofer that is available from Parts Express, MCM, and Martin. It has the same reactance nulling frequency and volume, the mass corner is actually slightly higher (so it is more efficient) than the Klipsch design. I don't like the cone or surround, but for $50 its OK. If we could get a small group together I would just have Rob Gault make us 100pcs (enough for 25 pair) to spec at Eminence. KSC makes the aluminum stuff for Klipsch, but they expect a 250pc order.

"Also where is the passiv unit located? IT was not mentioned in the A.E.S. paper. Only reference to t/s of two 12 inch woofers. I dont like passive woofers. They cant be controled that well. Transient motion is not controled if back chamber is to large. Sloppy attack & decay + always out of phase."

PWK and I both agree with you. The version in the JAES did not have a PR. Klipsch Pro was spun off many years ago and only recently brought back to the fold. If you look at the Roy Delgato US Patent for a PR driven horn, I think you will find it from this time frame.

I have built vented versions of the LaScala using the K43 woofer. It has a much lower Q than the K33, and in a SBB4 alignment it sounds very good. The SBB4 has the best transient response of all the vented alignments.

----------------

On 1/21/2003 10:14:01 PM michael hurd wrote:

That's the right picture ! I knew somebody would dig it up. So the question is, do you feel that this is a product that klipsch should bring to the market now ? I know that this was / is PWK's last effort to make a two-way fully horn loaded speaker.
----------------

Oh my Dear Lord, yes...yes...YES! Build it and they will come! I'd give my left sack to own a pair. They're the most beautiful horns I've ever laid my eyes on, and they deserve to be built! PWK would've wanted it that way...let's not disappoint his memory by having only prototypes sitting in a warehouse somewhere in Hope. Let's give the Jubilee a chance. This horn-speaker needs to be out there for all horn-lovin' audiophiles!

But as long as the Jubilee won't be the death-nell to the venerable Klipshorn!