A Cautionary tale with a capitol C

sunburnwilly

Man it is amazing how many people are impacted by this terrible disease I wish for the best outcome for all dealing with it in one way or another. I was just officially diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma at age 46 March 3rd and started treatment last week after an emergency back surgery on March 21st. 

I've been dealing with debilitating back pain since Dec '21, got better and I went back to work only to have my L2 vertebrae collapse end of July '22. They treated it like a simple compression fracture said surgery was optional seemed stable but by the end of Jan '23 it "pancaked" and the radiologist suspected it was a pathological fracture. 

Several tests later turns out I have a handful of lesions ribs sternum and spine started chemo last Tuesday so far no bad reactions except insomnia from the steroids' but its early on yet. Dr seems confident with my relatively young age and good health I should be able to get this into remission quickly. 

On the upside its been 5 weeks since my surgery and my back feels great, been off all pain meds including Tylenol for a few days now first time in almost a year and a half  and able to walk quite comfortably 4-5 miles a day. As long as the chemo works and doesn't kick my butt too bad should be able to go back to work mid June. 

Being diagnosed certainly changed my outlook on life amazing how many things seem trivial now and not worth the energy while other things become more important. None of us escape this place alive and could pass at any moment for any number of reasons but being labeled "terminal," well its like seeing the light already off in the distance luckily for now I'm in good health and it seems far away but its there. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Being diagnosed certainly changed my outlook on life amazing how many things seem trivial now and not worth the energy while other things become more important. None of us escape this place alive and could pass at any moment for any number of reasons ...

All very true. You still need to enjoy some trivial things, though. And make sure to laugh a lot.

• Like 4