3 dollar Magnavox SE 6BQ5 amp lives!

mike stehr

Last fall I scored a old Magnavox console with a SE amp for three bucks.

The guy I know locally likes the SE 6BQ5 sound, so I seen this amp and bought it, 3 bucks ya know, why not?

I wanted to just pretty much just go stock circuit with my limited capability, and mount a switch on the chassis.(which is about 5" X 8" BTW.)

I drew Dan up the stock schematic and we talked about it on a visit. He drew up a quicky schematic eliminating quite a few parts(about ten), and using more capacitance in the cathode feedback circuit.

So I went home and played around and cobbled it up, I had a good multisectional capacitor that he tested.

I'm using .047 Sprague 716P for coupling caps.

(I may get PIO's, but not at this time.)

I visited him Yesterday and He put the amp on a scope and frequency generator.

He checked it over, and played with the feedback circuit and got the thing tweaked in.

It started roll-off at around 40 hertz but hung out there to 40 khz, nice top end.

The amp put out 4.5 watts, and that was wide open.

These output transformers are only 2" wide X 1 5/8" tall, and 1 1/2" deep, so the roll-off on the lower frequencies is expected.

Then we hooked it up to his speakers, Sansui PCM 100 II's.

There around 94Db sensitivity.

OK, Dan is no esoteric super-fi kind of guy, he listens to his SE magnavox 6BQ5 amp with a digital cable box for a pre.

His amp uses a 5V4 rectifier. Which was a 5U4, with a 12AX7 driver.

The chassis on his is around 12" X 5" with larger output transformers, with a wider laminate stack.

Mine uses a 6CA4, with a 6EU7 driver.

The little amp has bass! Suprised both off us, we didn't think it would get down that low, his Sansui's are port tuned at 25 hertz.

His amp had little more bottom end, but not by much.

We broke it in for a good hour, it sounds great.

I'll fire it up Tomorrow with the full Mullard compliment.

It may be a homely little thing, but it sounds nice!

Yeah I know. I don't know how I'll make ends meet now.

I picked up some cabinets for my Norelco 12" FR's from Dan Yesterday also.

The Norelco AD 4201M has a range from 40Hz to 18,000Hz as claimed from the philips fullrange site.

10 watt power rating, 5 ohm impedance at 1Khz.

820 gram weight, binders on the frames.

Good match for a little SE amp.

The cabinets are three and a half feet internal volume, they need a little TLC and finish work. But they should be pretty nice looking cabinets.

A baffle for the fronts and some new backs, vent tune them, and I'll be good to go.

This amp has been going for around 4 hours or so, the power supply transformer barely gets hot, and it's quiet.

Don't sell the old Magnavox consoles short. I've got one that's bi-amped, with a Jensen horn tweeter and a 15" woofer, and considering what it's trying to do, still sounds quite creditable entering its forty-third year.

I'll be interested in seeing where the Bose Waves are in 2045.

9.gif

• 2 years later...

Knowing fini, it's probably the bottom console in a stack of twenty five in his garage.

Mike, that amp is cute. some 1/4-1/2" wood epoxied to the front and sides, a little laquer thinner to clean those numbers off the PS tranny and a screen of some type over the finger (OUCH!) hole and it could be Front Row Mo.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/wood.jpg

Rick

----------------

On 5/5/2005 7:22:50 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Knowing fini, it's probably the bottom console in a stack of twenty five in his garage.

----------------

HEH! Bought it, pulled it, cleaned it, sh*t-canned the console already! So there!1.gif

mag_se_clean.jpg

This might start a trend. I doubt we'll have much impact on the BlueBerry/VRD club, though...9.gif

Yeah, I have 3 amps I need to gussy up.

The wiring layout ain't nuthin' special, but it's quiet.

I need better binding posts, and a chassis mounted fuse holder. But since it works fine, I haven't bothered.

Gee Fini, that thing cleaned up pretty good!

I guess I best draw up a schematic for ya..........

post-6643-13819246169278_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/5/2005 7:55:49 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 5/5/2005 7:22:50 PM 3dzapper wrote:

----------------

HEH! Bought it, pulled it, cleaned it, sh*t-canned the console already! So there!
1.gif

This might start a trend. I doubt we'll have nuch impact on the BlueBerry/VRD club, though...
9.gif

----------------

That looks like Mikes!

Rick

Edit: Mike these binding posts. are really nice for the money. I bought two dozen.

bindingpost.jpg

We just can't get cheap stuff like that in Australia. Anytime someone sells old tube gear, it's falls under the category of 'classic', or 'collectors', etc. So the dollar values goes sky high and the poor old hi-fi nut like me loses out.

Yes, I will do that when I remodel it, but I wanted to be able to "fire it up" without "firing it up" (if you know what I mean...). I was thinking I could just "jump" it or something. Maybe use the wires going to the connector (that went to the tuner/preamp). My guess is that it's the 2 white wires. I will check in the preamp to see which went to the switch.

magunder.jpg

magunder2.jpg