Thinking about buying RF-3 II

Enatman

I'm looking to get rid of my Polk bookshelf surrounds and dive into something a more high end that will really rock with music and movies.

My current system is a Denon AVR-3801, JVC 32" D series TV, Pioneer 300 disc changer, and an antique RCA divix player.

I'm in a rural area so I don't have many dealers to choose from and unfortunatly I don't have a big budget either. My local dealer suggested:

RF-3II $680 pair

RS-3II $459 pair

RC-3II $300

RSW-15 $1000

I was curious about the suggest retail prices, I havent been able to find them anywhere. This is at the top of my budget and something I don't won't to have to do over again, especially when I have a TV and DVD player that I'd like to replace in the near future.

I guess I'm asking advice if the prices sounds fair and if it will be a good match w/ my existing reciever which is just over 1 year old. The dealer recommened the RSW-15 as he has several in stock and said that its a killer price.

Thanks in advance 1.gif

Welcome to the forum!

A small disclamer first.....Klipsch speakers are NOT for everyone! They definately have a unique audio signature. If you like a live, dynamic, and crystal clear highs then you will love Klipsch. Having said that....the klipsch speakers will work very well with the Denon 3801. There are alot of Denon fans on this forum, with good cause, the Denon's are very warm sounding which match the "brighter" Klipsch sound.

RF3's for $680 ain't a bad price, MSRP is like $800. But it seems to me that the RS3s price of $460 seems a bit high, but I don't remember the MSRP.

As for a Sub, get one of the RSW series, NOT the KSW series. The RSWs are much better subs. To save some $$$$, a RSW-12 might do just fine but it depends on your room size and base preference.

Good luck!

-Dave

klipsch IS for everyone, yeah baby, anyway stay from those tiny surrounds, and for thr rf 3's you wont need a killer sub like the rsw 15, you could go with an ksw 12 or 15 for below 600, and instead of the rs 3's go with rf 3's for your sats. that would give you better all around sound for both music and ht12.gif

hmm, that sounds like an intersting idea about using RF-3II for the rear too. The more I think about I would need to buy speaker stands for the RS-3II, which would make the cost nearly the same.

My living room is about 15'x22' with a fireplace and a closet on the short walls, with the couch and entertainment center along the long walls. I have a basement that I want to make into my theater so hopelly I'll be able to come up w/ a more ideal layout. Right now the couch is offsett a couple feet from the TV do to the entry into the dining room.

Thanks for the advice!

Enatman,

While some of the prices you listed are okay for an authorized dealer, have you looked at some of the places online and the prices you can get there? I would get a different sub though(not that the RSW isn't good, but can't go as low for movies).

Your original package:

RF-3II $680 pair

RS-3II $459 pair

RC-3II $300

RSW-15 $1000

The same package from Accousticsounddesign.com:

RF-3II $599 pair

RS-3II $399 pair

RC-3II $269

Plus

SVS 20-39PC $825(from svsubwoofers.com)

That would be a killer system , and for about $300 cheaper(before shipping).

Worth looking into at least.

I really love my system for HT. I would definately go with the RSW series and not the KSW series as stated earlier. You said you only wanted to buy once, so don't get the KSW and want to upgrade later. The 12" would be enough, but if you got it, get the 15. That or look at SVS. Those prices all seem good, exspecially if you not buying onliine.

Ok first floorstanders are nice for surrounds, but even with I dont think 2 pair of rf-3s is worth the jump from rsw-15 to ksw-15. They are lightyears apart. So id stick with the RSW and use normal surrounds. Those prices look very very good to me. Last week I payed $800 for my Rf-3s, I love them sooooo much. SVS are good for low down stuff, but i dont think you will have any complaints with the rsw-15. I mean 19 hz is pretty low. Unless you watch U571 24/7. That is a kick *** system especially at that price. I wouldnt change a thing. Enjoy!

----------------

On 1/20/2003 6:21:58 PM markmaple wrote:

I bought my speakers in November from a local dealer. I am really happy with them. After a very small amount of negotiating (basically two visits and asking for his best price), I believe I paid:

RF-3II $630

RC-3II $280

RS-3II $420

----------------

Where the heck at? My local authorized dealer in Cincinnati isn't hard to budge! He wants $850/pair for RF-3II's. He is now down to $792 after tax, but still. And he said he really won't budge on pricing for the center and surrounds. Grrr...

"SVS are good for low down stuff, but i dont think you will have any complaints with the rsw-15. I mean 19 hz is pretty low. Unless you watch U571 24/7."

I watched UF71 4 times in a row once. as for the RSW-15, it is pretty powerful, svs are better for movies though. but in a contest for music, I think the RSW-15 would beat out the SVS. if you are thinking of cutting from an RSW-15 to a KSW-15 you need one of those men in black dudes to flash your brain clean and recreat it so you have never even heard of the KSW and the RSW line is the only thing you know of. the difference is like comparing a hunk of stinky chese to a ferrari. THERE IS NOTHING COMPORABLE ABOUT THEM EXCEPT THE FACT THAT THEY'RE BOTH OBJECTS! when I think of KSW yamaha also comes into mind, maybe because the yamaha subs are also boomy. I'm not sure, but anyway. I would go cheap surround sounds (I hate dipole/bipole) but if that has to be done to get an RSW instead of a KSW, it's worth it. I have an RSW-15 and I wouldn't trade it for anything, except an RSW-18 which doesn't exist.

----------------

On 1/21/2003 3:26:10 AM prodj101 wrote:

Just curious, but where DO unauthorized dealers get their products from? they certainly don't have any shortage since they are always in stock and they do alot of business.

----------------

I think it is simply coming from some authorized dealers who are trying to move stock. I would guess that there is a lot more stock out there today because there is not as much business for high-end home theater equipment stores (because of the economy) which is what a lot of these authorized dealers are. Since they need to make at least some money and turn over product, they sell it out the back door. At least this is what I imagine. I think of it as, yeah, I'm paying a couple hundred dollars more. But also I am getting a 5 year guarantee direct from Klipsch. If something goes wrong I don't UPS to JoeSomebody.com, but instead can hand deliver my speakers to my authorized dealer and get it fixed. wUrd.

I lived in Ft Wayne, Indiana. I got mine at Classic Stereo.

Another store in town (Lehman's Electronics) has the RF-3IIs at $750.

I don't know what they would come down to, but they have come down

for me in the past.

Original posts

----------------

On 1/20/2003 6:21:58 PM markmaple wrote:

I bought my speakers in November from a local dealer. I am really happy with them. After a very small amount of negotiating (basically two visits and asking for his best price), I believe I paid:

RF-3II $630

RC-3II $280

RS-3II $420

----------------

Where the heck at? My local authorized dealer in Cincinnati isn't hard to budge! He wants $850/pair for RF-3II's. He is now down to $792 after tax, but still. And he said he really won't budge on pricing for the center and surrounds. Grrr...

RF-3II

RS-3II

RC-3II

SVS 20-39PC+

I saw someone recommending this system and it is exactly what I have. The SVS, in my option, is much better than Klipsch KSW subs. The combination is great because I can turn it up as loud as I want and get window-shattering bass but can still hear the upper frequencies very clearly. Other systems seem to be much more muted and harder to understand the word, both in music and video's, than with this combination.

I will be looking to buy another system in about a year, and I know I will be hard pressed to find a better setup.

I use a Denon 1082 Receiver to drive this setup.

Prices don't sound to bad. I was on crazyeddie.com (btw, not an authorized dealer) and they where as follows:

RF-3II $535 / $850 list

RC-3 $216 / $350 list

RS-3II $399 / $550 list (downtownaudio.com quoted $329!)

B U T shipping was a nut buster (and you don't get kissed). $105.00 EACH for the RF-3II. "We only ship with a regional based trucking company to eliminate damage claims. You get it faster and with no damage" Let's take a moment and do the math. That makes the speakers $745. OUCH...

I'd also try a "contractor" they can be found on the Klipsch web site in the same section as dealers. Usually these guys (many small companies sometimes even one man) sell the in wall, outdoor and bookshelf speakers to comercial type accounts and have not cracked the Home Theater market due their lack of showroom space, initial start up investment (training, sales schools, inventory), the intense competition (internet, Tweeters, Circuit City) and of course time. Therefore if you indeed do know what you want and can pay cash (saves about 2% in card processing fees to the merchant)then you can cut a deal. It's like found money to this type of distributor. NOTE THIS IS NOT THE BUSINESS MODEL OF ALL CONTRACTORS.

I was told (subject to error) at the CES a few weeks ago that contractors work on about 40% margin while true store front (aka brick and mortor locations) dealers work on 50%. The latter has more "room" in the product but has more overhead so it's almost a toss up on who can give you the best deal.

As far as shipping is concerned go to ups.com and select "rates" at the top of the page and enter Klipsch address in Hope, AK. and yours then key in the dimensions of the speaker (found on Klipsch web site), weight and insurance amount (use MSRP to be high) and bingo bango you get the cost of shipping.

Now the sub. At $1000.00 for and RSW-15 that is probalby cost + freight IMHO. That's a great deal. However if HT is your gig I just got a B-Stock SVS 2039pc+ for $798 including UPS charges and it rocks! I'd bet a 2531pc+ would do the trick for $50 less depending on your system, room size and acoustics.

Geeeeeezz, my longest post to-date, I think.

Regards,

Mike