Converting Active Sub to Passive

lothian

The amp within my venerable RPW10 thumper has failed after years of reliably juicing the driver. Repairing the thing is simply not gonna happen.

Rather than summarily replace the thing with new, I'm curious about the prospects of:

1) powering it with an inexpensive automobile amp and 12v power supply setup, or;

2) converting it to a passive sub and driving it with an external amp.

I'm beginning my research here within this forum. 

You... reading this... Do you have any experience with either idea? If so, please post a link to the instructions!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a65b5f0358e48bdfb39e2c618531081d.jpg

You’re probably better off getting a different sub.  Most sub amps have built-in EQ and other filters that are optimized for that specific woofer and cabinet.  If you just add a separate amp it might sound ok, it might not.  To me it wouldn’t be worth the gamble.

• Like 1

I believe you can actually buy car audio subwoofer specific amps. They would have all the adjustments you need. You're going to need a 12V supply with the same current rating as the RPW10. We use Astron power supplies where I work, and they work reasonably well but be advised the model number is the

PEAK output (i.e., the RS-15 would be a 15A Peak output supply). A 30A supply is much larger than your sub's plate amp.

It could be done, but you'd also have to seal off the hole where the plate amp used to be.

One benefit to an outboard amp is probably longer life as the amp would not be subject to vibration. Why more manufacturers don't pursue this option is beyond me.

I'd opt to see if you can get your current amp repaired, buy a replacement perhaps on eBay, or just replace the entire thing.

21 hours ago, lothian said:

The amp within my venerable RPW10 thumper has failed after years of reliably juicing the driver. Repairing the thing is simply not gonna happen.

You... reading this... Do you have any experience with either idea? If so, please post a link to the instructions!

I've replaced amps modded in BASH 300's and used rack mount pro amps both worked well for reasonable costs but sub tech has increased pretty dramatically and prices have come down quite a bit if you have the cash I'd recommend the RSL Speedwoofer 10 for $450 out the door shipped hard to beat it pretty much blew away the Klipsch R-112sw it replaced that had amp issues less than 2 months after I bought it new the RSL has been going strong very nice sounding affordable compact sub.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/speedwoofer-10s-mkii/

Why not find a plate amp, that closely matches the dimensions and wattage, and replace your failed amp with that?You might have to shim or trim to get a good fit, but that’s what I’d do. Surely Parts Express has something close, if not an exact replacement. 

• Like 2

I've had more than my fair share of Klipsch sub amps fail over the last 20 years.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.... well, you get the point.  However, I've picked up a few lately with bad amps and I make the subs passive.  Then I can drive them with an external amp and whatever processing you choose to incorporate. (Or you could do the plate amp.  I'm just not one for mounting an amp in a box that shakes non-stop.)

IMG_7233.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

• Like 3