Khorns in ICF Home

AlKit

I'm about to add to my house and finally get a dedicated media room.

As I'm building with ICF walls, I expect to have the Khorns in the corner of a very sold wall...I don't expect it will be good for base response-reflection.

Any ideas on building false corners to use in this application.

I've seen the diagrams to build them out of 2x4's and plywood, which is what I'm considering.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Al

After your room is finished out , the advantage of ICF will be very low  noise transmission through  the walls . From a materials perspective, the room acoustics will depend  more  on the absorption coefficient of the materials that you use to finish off your room .You  can find the coefficient of absorption of common building materials, and with  a little math calculate  the  “Ideal for you”  reverberant quantity your looking for . In general  more absorption tends to work better than not enough , this is true in  average home sized rooms . 

• Like 1

The typical wall finish for the ICF will be sheet rock screwed to the foam that makes up the concrete form...because of this the sheet rock will not really resonate (reverb or whatever) at all, and I don't think it will produce much bass effect.

The ceiling will be more typical with joists and sheet rock.

What do you think?  Make a false corner for the horns?

I appreciate the replies, thank you.

On 6/29/2023 at 7:16 AM, the real Duke Spinner said:

What is the interior finish ??

That is all of concern here

On 6/29/2023 at 7:53 AM, Ceptorman said:

After the ICF walls are poured, surely they will get furred out and drywalled? I assume the floors will be concrete? Traditional wood framed ceiling?

I'm not planning to fur them out...rather screw the sheet rock firmly to the foam form.  Traditional wood framed ceiling, yes...

4 hours ago, AlKit said:

I'm not planning to fur them out...rather screw the sheet rock firmly to the foam form.  Traditional wood framed ceiling, yes...

to do it right and sound exceptional   Styrofoam SM  sections over the ICF wall ,   would give amazing sound    , ask me how I know 

On 6/29/2023 at 7:16 AM, the real Duke Spinner said:

What is the interior finish ??

That is all of concern here

The concern is that if the sheet rock if firmly applied to the foam block, that the speakers bass reflection won't be satisfactory.

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Where does the wiring go? Does the foam get channeled out for the wires and receptacles? The ones I saw had 2x lumber screwed into the plastic channels and short depth outlets for the wiring.

The foam is deep enough for the typical wall receptacle box. The foam is cut where the wiring goes and allows the sheet rock to go over it all smoothly.

8 hours ago, AlKit said:

Are you suggesting additional foam, or just apply sheet rock in the regular manner and leave the corners like the rest of the structure?  

I'm suggesting adding a layer of  Dupont Styrofoam SM  Extruded Polystyrene   over the 2.5 inch   foam  in your corners only   or in the entire room 's walls if you want to  ,   then sheetrock   

The surface material of an ICF wall like any other wall is very important . The sheet rock that you are planning to put over the ICF is an acoustically reflective material. I don’t  believe you’ll have any problem with not enough reflection, zero problems. Don’t worry about your bass mysteriously vanishing into the walls, not going to happen.🤓

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 10:21 PM, AlKit said:

The typical wall finish for the ICF will be sheet rock screwed to the foam that makes up the concrete form...because of this the sheet rock will not really resonate (reverb or whatever) at all, and I don't think it will produce much bass effect.

The ceiling will be more typical with joists and sheet rock.

What do you think?  Make a false corner for the horns?

I appreciate the replies, thank you.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:24 PM, AlKit said:

The wall won't vibrate...at least not much, it's mostly concrete.

You ABSOLUTELY do not want the walls to vibrate.  They should be stiff and non-resonant as they are an "extension" of the bass horn.  Horns should be stiff and without vibration in the frequency range where they operate. 

Your wall should be stiff enough and you have no need for false corners, unless you have no square corners. 

• Like 1

What @JohnA said.

The walls are supposed to act as part of the horn, not the woofer itself.

If the walls vibrate then they will definitely end up coloring the sound.

Solid poured walls would make great corners for Khorns. 

The corner loading that is used by the Khorn works because the sound waves are projected into the room.

If the walls are vibrating they are absorbing energy that should be in the air as sound on its way to your ears.

• Like 1