RF-7's, not so grand?

PoloBroker

I just replaced my 1987 JBL 350A's with RF-7's. Not happy at all. My ears are well below professional; so why the obvious difference in both HT and typical CD's? The RF-7's were the last item on my list to bring home. (see below of existing system) Do I need an amp? Prior to the switch all the equipment listed below was a dream come true when playinng anything.

I switched because of all the rave from everyone that owns them, and the deminsions are perfect for the built in wall unit currently under way (company is in the drawing/plans stage with a substantial deposit in their pocket)

In need of professional help!

Here is my current system:

Yamaha RX V1070 Reciever

Yamaha S1200 DVD

Yamaha 645 CDC

Mitsubishi HD 1080 55" TV

Mitsubishi HS 650 VCR

Klipsch RF-7 (replaced the JBL's)

Klipsch RC-7 Center channel

Klipsch RCR-5 Mounted in ceiling

Velodyne HGA 15" Sub

Thanks for your input.

Rick

What exactly is your problem ? Although at first you may seem that the high frequencies are unnatuarlly high, this is usually not the case, unless you have a lot of hard, reflective surfaces in your ht. IE: Glass walls. Listen to a few recordings, especially with piano and female vocalists. You will soon realize that most any other speakers you have owned, or listened to, seem muffled in comparison. Do a quick a-b comparison with your jbl's and play the same tracks on both speakers. Just to be fair, set the volume level with an spl meter to a comfortable listening level ( about 90 db ), ensuring that the volume levels are matched as closely as possible. Invite some friends over to help with the audition. In fact, why not try a blindfold test ? Be sure to match volume levels correctly and play the same tracks over again. Ask everyone whether they prefered speaker a or speaker b.

it could be the yamaha you are mating them to. Some yamaha receivers can be bright and forward and to couple this with the klipsch who already are forward and somewhat bright. My recommendation is to go to the local hifi shop ask them for an in home demo of a Harman Kardon or Pioneer Elite and then listen to the RFs again. I think you will notice a difference also Klipschs arent for everyone hopefully you can get your money back if this doesnt work out.

Polo,

I went through a recent upgrade to my HT.

I had the same Yamaha receiver as you. When I replaced my old speakers with the RF-7's, I noticed a great improvement in sound but the bang wasn't there. So I was already planning to replace my receiver, but with what. I chose the Rotel RMB-1075 which is a nice amp, but it didn't seem to go well with the RF-7's. So I traded it in and ended up with a Rotel RMB-1095. That was it, this system rocks for HT and Music.

Good Luck,

RP

Hi Polobroker! You wrote:

"just replaced my 1987 JBL 350A's with RF-7's. Not happy at all. My ears are well below professional; so why the obvious difference in both HT and typical CD's? "

I'm a newbie to this and lack golden ears too, but when I went to audition various speaker systems, there was a very big and distinct difference between the Klipsch system and the other high and higher-end speakers I auditioned (including $4.5K Sonus Faber's). I strongly preferred the Klipsch for their clarity and detail, which for me made the other's sound almost "muddy". I can understand someone who is used to a JBL set finding the Klipsch's sound to be very different and maybe "too bright" in comparison. These "muddy" vs "bright" descriptions are all realtive and highly subjective to what your ears are expecting to hear.

Which are more accurate? I am convinced the Klipsch's are because I listened to a CD that I recorded and produced myself, so I knew the sound intimately. There was one spot where there were distortion artifacts that I knew about, but could not be heard on any other system - so I went ahead and had it pressed in quantity. I heard the defect clearly on the Klipsch system, but not on the others. I guess that's the good news and the bad news.2.gif

Once you match the Klipsch with a good sub system and your ears adjust, I don't thing you'll want to go back. I am also convinced that a lot of bottom end one hears on some other systems is "enhanced". With a good sub, if you like that particular "enhancement", you can get it back and still have the clarity and detail of the Klipsch on top.

Gordon

This will be painful for you.

The RF-7 is a very detailed and honest speaker. Any weakness in any component downward of them will be brutally exposed. Yamaha isn't usually the best match for anything in the Reference line. They make good products, but their sonic signature doesn't compliment the Klipsch signature. Welcome to upgrade hell.

A couple of other things to consider as well: It takes a good week or so for the RF7's to loosen up. They can be a little strident sounding out of the box. That will go away. Also, your ears need to make the adjustment -- which also takes a little while. I say wait two weeks and re-evaluate.

You will probably end up having to upgrade that receiver to something other than Yamaha if you want to get the fullest enjoyment out of them -- and yes, Harmon Kardon seems to be very well favored by most forum members.

Good luck!

This makes perfect sense, as someone else mentioned, welcome to upgrade hell. I have been loyal to Yamaha since the 1980's because the systems have never given us any problems. I seem to uprade the reciever evey 5 years, my family members get the old stuff. I understand your recomendation and will consider the switch in recievers. First, can you tell me anything about Yamaha's Flagship RX-Z1?

Thanks.

The basic rumble and terrific thump is just not there in the 7's (compared to the former JBL's) at all levels, the sub assists, but the research I have read seemed to make the RF7's an excellent thumper themselves. Others recommend a reciever switch or upgrade. It has to be the receiver or I am in need of an amp, or refund, and back to the old JBL's?

Thanks

I tried to send you the file so you could see the built in HT, I could not get it to work. Can you advise us the front speaker enclosure? They would have a cloth grill that covers them and pull off to access the speakers. The speakers would be able to come in/out with ease. What are your suggestions?

Thanks

how do you have these speakers placed?

from what i hear... placement could be a problem.

arent jbl's mostly front ported?

RF-7s are REAR ported... make sure you have 18-24" of free air behind them.

its also suggested that you keep them away from side walls.

i read that its a sensitive speaker when it comes to placement.

also, because of the porting, its prolly not a great idea to try and mount it inside anything.

display those beauties with pride!