Cornwall4s in 10x10 room

Yes flevoman not ideal. But I’ve had good luck with sound panels in my room. I think the nature of horn speakers helps mitigate some of those problems.my elac uni-fi reference ubr 62’s create more “ negative effects” than my  Klipsch rp 8000f mkll’s. I think controlling bass will be biggest challenge.

Just to follow up on the negative effects idea. I’m not proposing playing heresy’s really loud(over 80 db). Lots of sound pressure in a small room certainly won’t work. One of the benefits of horn speakers is their good dynamics at lower levels. I think heresy’s might be perfect fit with some tweaking! And yes flevoman also Dutch!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, 82 Cornwalls said:

Listening position against the back wall when listening = bad

bad sound with a klipsch  Heresy IV  , in a 10 x 10 room ...... impossible 

• Like 1

I was using the OPs own post where he related what a reviewer said (and he asked for opinions).

Low listening levels is not a silver bullet.

If I had a dollar for every system that the owner thinks is fine, but actually.......

FWIW I had a pair of 1980? H1s in a 12 x 14 room, but no thanks in my smaller room.

If someone wants to put 20 pairs of speakers in a 10 x 10 room, have at it, just make sure you parallel/series if using one amplifier.

Wow! Ok cornwalls 82, I guess the profit has spoken! My apologies if I’ve offended your vast knowledge of proper speaker/room relationship. I initially posted wondering if anyone had luck with cw4s in small room? Most of the chatter I got was slamming the heresy’s. If I had a buck every time someone gives an opinion i didn’t ask for…..  spotted an article somewhere with Roy Delgado talking about big horns in small rooms. Gonna check it out. Maybe I’ll learn something cw82🙉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Vanderlinden said:

Wow! Ok cornwalls 82, I guess the profit has spoken! My apologies if I’ve offended your vast knowledge of proper speaker/room relationship. I initially posted wondering if anyone had luck with cw4s in small room? Most of the chatter I got was slamming the heresy’s. If I had a buck every time someone gives an opinion i didn’t ask for…..  spotted an article somewhere with Roy Delgado talking about big horns in small rooms. Gonna check it out. Maybe I’ll learn something cw82🙉

I can confirm that Roy Delgado (aka @Chief bonehead) has said many times (in person and on this forum) that "smaller rooms need bigger horns".  It's possible that I may be the king of large speakers in a smaller room as I have Heritage Jubilee in a 13' x 17' room.  it was Roy who encouraged me to go ahead with my plans to get the Jubilee for my smallish living room.  While it's now more of a "Jubilee room" than a living room, I love my setup.  So, don't let any discourage you from putting larger speakers into a smaller room if you have the space and desire to accommodate them.  The issues you will have with Heresy in a small room are the exact same issues that you will have with Forte or Cornwall.  You will need to control room reflections, control bass room gain, and use proper toe-in.  Proper room treatment, bass room correction, and experimenting with speaker position will be the solutions in either case.  The larger mid-range horn in the Cornwall will actually control directivity lower and reduce reflections.  I'm of the opinion that you should get the largest speakers that you are willing to put in your room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Vanderlinden said:

Thanks mmurg, That is exactly what I was thinking and the feedback I needed to help me pull the trigger on the la scala’s! 

So you’ll be sitting about 5-6 ft. In front of them and they’ll be about 5 ft. apart.  Horns don’t make very good near field monitors.

Good luck…

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

So you’ll be sitting about 5-6 ft. In front of them and they’ll be about 5 ft. apart.  Horns don’t make very good near field monitors.

Good luck…

I would have to disagree with this.  I have La Scala AL5 as surrounds in the back corners of in my Jubilee room.  My seating position is only 5 1/2 ft. from each La Scala.  They cohere fine at that distance and are not at all harsh as I have the levels correctly balanced for the 5.0 setup.  It's the most realistic surround setup I have ever owned.  I also did some quick and dirty tape measure estimating for about a 10' x 10' room.  If seated close to the opposite wall, you should be around 7 ft. away.  It would be a little much it you wanted it to be a "living room", but if this is going to be a "La Scala room" I would be fine with it.

• Like 1

Your math is correct mmurg. My room is actually closer to 11’(I rounded down) I did a mock up of the la scala in my room assuming they would be against front wall. I have over 8ft distance between speaker and my ear. I wouldn’t necessarily call that near field listening. Anyhow I will post when they arrive and have them set up! I’m pumped. Def la scala room/shrine. 

• Like 1