Cornwall4s in 10x10 room

I am quite surprised that some people here are so positive about placing large speakers in a small room. I have no doubt about their experience and knowledge, but know that it can certainly cause problems.

I myself own the LaScala AL-5, have a room that is approximately 39 feet by 18 feet, and I have significant acoustic issues. There is still a possibility that I won't be able to solve this, and I might have to invest a considerable amount of money in acoustic treatment or part ways with the LaScala.

I wish you the best in whichever choice you make, and I hope it brings you happiness.

We have circled back to "will it work" vs "getting the best out of them". I understand that for most people, the sound they get falls somewhere in between those two. 

My son tried Cornwalls in a room slightly bigger than yours and it was a no go. Even his old Forte IIIs could become a little shouty sitting so close. I think you will have two issues, one of bass bloat at certain frequencies (most likely 80-100 hz) and lack of integration from the drivers. Or at least they won't integrate as they should.

You will probably get sound quality far better than a "cones in a box" design of similar size. But my vote ultimately goes to a pair of Heresys and two small subs. You would be able to use DSP to tame bass nodes, so that's a win for sure.

I do truly hope you get the performance that you seek from the AL5.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 3:34 PM, Eric Vanderlinden said:

Just to follow up I put my rp 8000fmklls in my 10x10 and they in no way “overwhelm” the room! In fact less so than my elac uni fi reference’s. Yes 001 was looking at the rf7s. 

If the 8000’s sound good in there , then It’s unlikely that the Cornwall’s will disappoint. That was a smart test .Those speakers are no wimps by any stretch and will play low with similar authority as the Cornwall. Of course a small room will sound different than a big one , but the laws of physics will apply equally regardless of speaker size .For example , I’ve heard Lascala’s   played in a  small room and they where very impressive, if you weren’t careful they could deviate your septum , “part your  hair” , even split the atom ,( and who doesn’t  want to split an atom every now and then) don’t worry about it and let us know how it works out .🤓

• Like 1

Getting warmer shakeydeal.you’ve probably figured by now that I’m hell bent on having a Klipsch heritage speaker in my mancave.back when I was selling stereos in the early eighties klipsch were scoffed at as p.a. Speakers so I discounted them. A few months ago I bought a pair of rp 400 m’s to redo our a/v system in our very “live” living room. Sounded pretty good so I bought a pair of rp 8000fmkll’s and they sounded better than any “ cone in a box” speaker i had tried to date. Which brings me to my point. I think a horn speaker(albeit not perfect) will work better than conventional arrangements in accousticly challenging rooms.one more point I would like to make, musical genres play a huge part in speaker choice. Trio jazz or classical don’t put the same demands on speakers/room as do rock or edm.just saying i think that gets lost when we discuss a speaker’s capabilities.