Help with decision PP vs SET....pros & cons?

ChrisK

I dont discount all of Bruce Rozenblit at all. But a read between the lines and a look more closely is warranted with Bruce, even more so in that second book. Actually, I dont always agree with the first book either but it was better than the second in my view. Actually, both are defintely worth owning if you can find them second hand.

Take a look at this review, which DOES also go over the top at several points but is more my take on that book. HE doenst go into the positives of the book but his negatives I agree with.

Audio Reality-Myths Debunked, Truths Revealed Review at ETM

kh

AND I hope we are not comparing Bruce R. and Kevin H., I think Mr. Rosenblitz has been guilty of far more self promotion and doctrinaire attiude than Mr. Hayes. I really liked Hayes' article (did you read it kelly?) he has really thought out the reasons why he prefers to tackle a 300B PP amp design problem than an equivalent SET design problem. He never says his "blow the doors of SET" or that they cannot sound great, just that he likes to apporach sound reproduction form the PP side, for the reasons he states. My problem is that for me to attend both camps I have to have a great SET (from Jeff Lessard perhaps) and a great PP (my dynaocs would not qualify I suspect). the 30/30 runs about $5k used so...the armchair pilot in me searches the web for guidance still....tony

KELLY : That review is more of a kick in the balls than in the mouth. Once again i'll take what i read with a grain of salt and move onto the next author. Seems i can't read anything latly that anyone seems to agree with. I'm finding more whitchcraft and voddoo in book sales than in the audio showroom.

Well, sadly enough, that review was far more well-written than the book, and almost stands on its own as better information, not to mention better entertainment. Still, I think you reading that book is a good sign as is your open mind to all sides of the equation. As I said in another post, holding hard and fast to ideas passed as fact is not the way to enlightenment. As in all info, it seems to be combinations and pieces from all fronts brings a closer shot at the truth, whatever that may be. It surely doesnt appear as if the truth is always like a pyramid, heading toward a single point. In some ways, Thomas Pynchon might have had it right in that interesting book The Crying of Lot 49.... Truth seems to exist like an inverse pyramid, with a point moving toward and every-widening base. Or perhaps Truth is really not the right word at all...

kh

Thomas Pynchon!!!

I have devoured every word so many times--from "V" through "Mason and Dixon" and everthing in between. Lot 49 is easily the most accessible and maybe even the "best" of his novels, but I always go back to "V"--one of the few truly great post-WWII American novels.

And anyone here who made it past the "Banana Breakfast" and can tell me name of that novel and it's protagonist wins a deep-groove Blue Note Jimmy Smith LP. You all have one hour

starting NOW!!!

"A screaming comes across the sky..."

Kelly, I have new-found respect for you (not that I didn't respect you before...)

Pynchon is the best (post) modern American novelist IMO... although I still haven't managed to digest Mason & Dixon.

We should all be listening to Mclintock Sphere (I know that's not spelled right)!

Kelly,

There's 50 yards of sand on the beach by my house. :-) That's why I live here. No air conditioning in any of the houses and I haven't used our furnace in years...we're cold if it gets below 60 and hot if it gets over 80...talk about wussies...

Chris

fini,

I'm going off topic a bit as you suggested...pick-up a pair of those old Hammond push-pull-parallel 2A3 organ amps made by Webster Electric (1933 design). Get rid of the old capacitors, output transformers, etc. and put new caps and new output transformers on them (Hammond transformer company makes p-p-p OPTS - I have a pair with UTC LS-58's (originally designed for p-p-p 300B's or 2A3's!!!). You'll need a better gain stage since the original amps were used with Jensen field coil speakers. The best bet is to substitute one of the 56 triode drivers with a 53 triode.

These amps sound incredible...Class A push-pull bass slam with triode midrange magic. Not as refined as some very high end SET's but better (IMHO) than most non-2A3 SET amps! I think its secret is in the incredible heavy iron power supply!

Dr. Arthur Loesch redesigned this circuit (see Tempo Electric website) and is one of his claims to fame in the audio world. I have a copy of the 2A3 p-p-p schematic if you want. My friend John Wiesner (Arthur's former business partner) has built several pairs of these amps for audiophiles around the country. My brother-in-law has a pair to power his Cornwalls. What sound!

Pete

For four hundred bucks I could get you into a pair of Webster Parallel Push-Pull amps, Fini.

Rebuilt, painted, bone stock with 2A3's all matched to 1%.

A quick resistor fix, can also get you out of using field coil speakers.

Like Pete said, good bass slam with great midrange.

We thought it was rolled-off on the top end, but they are bone stock 70 year old amps.

Same caps and everything, they tested out fine I geuss.

EDIT:

OOPS! I think he sold them, sorry about that.

I live on the NC coast. It is not supposed to be snowing 6 inches on the beach here. IT is not supposed to be 18F with a wind chill in the single digits. What a lovely mini-blizzard today, though.

Thomas Pynchon. While I sometimes find he can come across contrived, I also think him a genius in the best sense of the word although that word is pretty meaningless these days. If you havent read any of his writing, you owe it to yourself to get some exposure.

Allan, are you bundling that latest prize with my OTHER SURPRIZE we talked about earlier? I kept looking for it and feared it lost like a 1987 handshake (whatever that means). I did get one of the bad scratches out of my Rollins Night at the Vanguard. But was wondering where the other went.

Mark, I went and posted some drivel in the Asylum after wandering in there again, much to my chagrin. A column sure to be ignored by anyone with sense.

Chris, that is my wife Audrey in the avatar. Just another alternative and the ole BMW logo was frightening me. Of course, she saw it and groaned while shaking her head...

kh

ps - BTW, did anyone catch the Jazz From Lincoln Center of the Arts radio program about Joe Lovano & Gonzalo Rubalcaba? EXCELLENT.

Kelly,

Sonny Rollins "A Night at the Vilage Vangaurd" IS in my LP library. Your mention sent me to the shelf and boxes to look for it because I haven't played it for a long time. It's still in what I consider VG condition considering it's age. I have purchased cleaning solution from the Disc Doctor and will give it a good cleaning after I complete listening to this "Golden Oldie", then replay again in a day or so as a reference to how well his(DD) recommended "hand cleaning" method works. Damn, why haven't I played this LP for so long?

Allan,

Just curious what the relative value of this LP might be. My copy has the "Liberty Records, INC Printed in USA" on the lower right hand corner of the front cover. I'm sure it's not the original issue because it has the BST81581 number. The original was probably BLP1581. I have the LP "Sonny Rollins", BLP1558,(though it's a French EMI pressing) which I will probably pull out to play today also, though I'm not sure of it's condition since it's been a long time since last play.

Kelly, thanks for the "Sonny Rollins" shot to my brain!

Klipsch out.

Edmond, the actual sonics of the "recording" are not the best I have heard by any means. This is literally the first recording ever done live at the Village Vanguard. It's also Sonny Rollin's first recording with his own group and what a great lineup it is with Elvin Jones on drums, Wilbur Ware on bass (with Donald Bailey and Pete La Roca sitting in as well). This recording is not known really as one of the best, but I have always liked the feel/take of it. It's one of my favorite Rollins' recordings. Both my versions have the BST 81581 but my first recording was much later with the bar code and an "also available on XDR Cassette" note.

The recordings do sound very different from one another. I much prefer the one I just received.

kh

Chris,

To move back on to the topic, I think Kelly may be onto something with the idea that maybe it's a good thing to own both topologies, PP and SET. The vintage EL84 based EICO HF81 sounds absolutely wonderful when paired with my Belles. It uses easily obtained NOS tubes to really make it an outstanding piece, and dual tube rectified to boot. The 2A3 Moondogs however, takes the presentation of Jazz to a more refined level. Much will depend on your personal preference for presentation of the type of music you listen to most.

A good vintage PP, properly restored could cost only one third of the Brenneman and leave one thousand left over toward the purchase of the SET amp of your choice. I'm sure Scott and Fisher can provide good PP alternatives to the EICO when it comes to vintage PP. There was what seemed to be a nice vintage EL84 Fisher PP amp that sold on eBay the other day for $405.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3001220980&category=3284

Klipsch out.

Kelly,

I just completed listening to the LP. It was great music. That is always the bottom line with me, does the music move me, not the recording quality. Recording quality certainly enhances a great performance, but even the best recording can't do anything if the music played by the musicians suck. I've been digging on the shelves lately and will update the "Play list" thread in the next day or so.

Klipsch out.

The pure products of America

go crazy--

mountain folk from Kentucky

or the ribbed north end of

Jersey

with its isolate lakes and

valleys, its deaf-mutes, thieves

old names

and promiscuity between

devil-may-care men who have taken

to railroading