This BLEEPIN' OUTLET!!

Mighty Favog

31 minutes ago, babadono said:

to clarify, I mean the connection that comes off the GFI that GOES TO THE NON FUNCTIONING  outlet. If it goes to another outlet first check the connections there also.

O.K., we found which circuit breaker the bad outlet is on and it's not the one the GFI is on.

I even swapped out the socket again with another new one with the same result. 

So if I understand you correctly...you have an outlet on your kitchen counter that is not GFI protected. Once you solve the problem you are having I'd put a GFI outlet in there.

So what else does the breaker that feeds the non functioning outlet also feed? and does that work?

FYI; your photos of the voltmeter in the outlet show you've got your hot and neutral test leads backwards. While you may think it doesn't matter because

it's AC, it's good practice to maintain proper polarity even when you think it doesn't matter. I know you said your outlet tester said the wiring was correct, but

still...

If the voltage is present but current isn't sufficient to drive appliances, I'd bet there's an outlet or fixture upstream from the "bad" outlet with a poor connection

or a partially cut wire.

Throw the affected circuit breaker and mark everything that is now dead. Then check each outlet and fixture for secure wire connections.

One of the upstream outlets, switches, or fixtures could have gone bad.

Is it possible critters have eaten through a wire, or one conductor has been partially cut? Is the wiring visible, perhaps in the basement?

All right, I'm under the assumption the next outlet upstream is on an adjoining wall. By itself, it tests fine and appliances work fine from it. The circuit tracer transmitter shows a bright steady green light to say it's working. I swapped in a new receptacle with that outlet anyway just in case something was wrong with the "output" to the, now, bad outlet. But nothing has changed.

The same wall the bad outlet is on also has the electric service for our electric stove and three switches that controll the ceiling lights and ceiling fan. All of which are not on the same circuit as the bad outlet. In looking in the basement, the stove light service goes into a non-accessible crawl space so I can't even look there to check its condition.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:48 PM, Mighty Favog said:

This house has copper wiring. The outlet is non-switched. I'd change the breaker if I could tell which one it is. Need a 2nd person here 'cause I don't feel like running up the steps each time. The transmitter to my signal tracer has a faint flicker of the green LED instead of a bright green. That might be a clue.

I suspect you have a capacitive connection. That is, either hot or neutral is not actually connected, but there is enough capacitance to allow a voltage to reach the outlet that will fool a normal DVM and other voltage testers. You need to test with a low-impedance AC voltmeter, the kind that will ignore such "phantom voltage." If you don't have one, borrow one. Electricians use them to avoid scenarios like this one.

These kind of things often happen because there is a long run of cable to a remote switch, and the switch has been turned off. Since the switch is off, nothing works in that outlet, but with 50 feet or sometimes more of cable going to the switch, there is enough capacitance across the open switch to allow a normal high-impedance meter to show 120V, and even enough to fool other kinds of testers. Sometimes, even LED lights will work in such an outlet due to their low current draw. The outlet may be connected to a switch you are unaware of at a remote location, and it's been turned off. 

5 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

IMG_20230816_104723.jpg

IMG_20230816_105717.jpg

IMG_20230816_105634.jpg

The top picture shows that your ground is not bonded to the neutral. That needs to be corrected. Could be open ground (safety hazard) or open neutral (which would cause what you're describing). In fact, since the second pic shows 88 ohms between ground and hot, I'd say something is miswired re neutral and ground.

• Like 1