Heresy Decorators: What to do with them?

tragusa3

1 hour ago, tragusa3 said:

Mounted in their final resting place...at least for the next 30 years.  Beyond that, my sons will have a spot for them.  :)

Any ideas of how to keep them from falling without those ropes and without screws?

final spot.jpg

I know you said without screws…. Put slant risers on them backwards and use a small discreet safety cable from one of the rear cover screws.Or you could even screw through shelf into risers. 

• Like 2

Great idea!  They are already sitting on the slant risers.  I think I will do just that, screw the risers in and then come up from the bottom with screws through the shelf.  Perfect solution...at least the screws from the slant riser were meant to be there. 

Ha...my risers still have all the original screws stapled to it in a plastic bag.  I am tempted to paint the riser black first.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

Any ideas of how to keep them from falling without those ropes and without screws?

Your shelves are already leaning from the poor rig you've got and you obviously recognize that rope job ain't

cuttin' it for aesthetics. Ain't no way you're going to avoid screws, but you can do so and still look good.

Here's what I would do:

Google "decorative shelf brackets". I'd mount one bracket on each adjacent wall, trying to screw into a wall stud.

You may have to modify the dimensions of your shelf to hit those studs, but you'll still fit the speakers, I'm sure.

Your shelf will be level, and the brackets will look good.

41 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Your shelves are already leaning from the poor rig you've got and you obviously recognize that rope job ain't

cuttin' it for aesthetics. Ain't no way you're going to avoid screws, but you can do so and still look good.

Here's what I would do:

Google "decorative shelf brackets". I'd mount one bracket on each adjacent wall, trying to screw into a wall stud.

You may have to modify the dimensions of your shelf to hit those studs, but you'll still fit the speakers, I'm sure.

Your shelf will be level, and the brackets will look good.

Dang...I just got called out!  You're right...I jumped in without a complete plan.  Can't stand the rope.  I'll look at the link to the brackets.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

I'm hoping for a deep sheen, similar to the wet look when I first put the oil on.  Will Johnson's do that?

That depends on the number of coats you put on. The process is pretty much the same as waxing your car except each layer does

add to the finish.

In my experience finishing my doors, the first coat did little to nothing. The third coat put a soft sheen on the wood. You could always

practice on the cabinet bottoms to see if a number of coats gives you the results you're looking for.
If you're looking for a real "wet" look, you'll probably want an oil such as lemon oil, but that finish doesn't last. You could try a gloss, spray-on spar urethane such as by Minwax. I used that on my door thresholds and it was easy to apply, gave a smooth coat, preserved the depth of the grain, and added a nice finish. More coats = more gloss.

3 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

Dang...I just got called out!  You're right...I jumped in without a complete plan.  Can't stand the rope.  I'll look at the link to the brackets.

Tip: If you don't find something on-line, you can always go to your local iron welding shop that fabricates ornamental railings, etc.

such as THIS SHOP local to me.

You'll probably do best with a 12" bracket and if that size is hard to find, the local route would be the way to go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

Picked up the Howards Beeswax today. First coat on and I'm impressed. Will let dry overnight and do a few coats over the next few days.

wax.jpg

wax2.jpg

I'm impressed with the finish; the shine looks nothing like polyurethane or lacquer and unlike those, seems to accentuate the grain.

That looks better... I would have put two 1x3 on each wall and a triangle cut shelf on top. That way nothing hangs over unsupported. Put single 1x3 trim across the front and you're done. Easier than doing the brackets.

13 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

@Peter P.you shamed me into it...but it needed to be done.  Shelves are reworked now.  I built some brackets, screwed into studs.  And of all things, used a level!  Hahaha

Rope is gone!

Painted the slant risers black and screwed through from the bottom of the shelf.  Nothing will vibrate off.

new shelf.jpg

Whoa; even I didn't expect something that classy!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That looks better... I would have put two 1x3 on each wall and a triangle cut shelf on top. That way nothing hangs over unsupported. Put single 1x3 trim across the front and you're done. Easier than doing the brackets.

That is what I did.  You can't see the "ledger" boards, but the entire contact with the walls is sitting on a ledger, screwed into studs.  I imagine I could stand on these shelves.

Yes, I do believe the cabinets came out nice. 

the  shelves are very decorative  , but you're  missing  out on the quality sound of the Heresy 1  , Heresy speakers  with the K-55V  and K-77 Alnico V   are   studio monitor grade speakers that are best listened to at ear level  and literally  in your face sound  ,   a few  feet apart  L-R to hear the exceptional  details of the vocals   .

1 minute ago, OO1 said:

you're  missing  out on the quality sound of the Heresy 1   being  so far away on shelves  , Heresy speakers  with the K-55V  and K-77 Alnico V   are   studio monitor grade speakers that are best listened to at ear level  and literally  in your face sound  , and only a few apart to hear the exceptional  details of the vocals   .

Agree, but the purpose of this setup isn't critical listening.  My Khorns are setup in a well treated space.  This is meant as nothing more than a bar room type sound, and that they do well!  Nothing like some Waylon Jennings on Heresies, a glass of whiskey and a game of pool!  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1