Dean - Tired of you Apollos Already?

No Disc

And what may I ask are YOU doing in the amp section of AudiogoN? Shopping?9.gif

Seriously, I want the Laurels with the ultimate upgrade that are out there right now. If the Apollos sell before the Laurels do -- I'll make a play on them. If they go before mine do -- I may remove the ad.

The AE-3 DJH is also for sale. I want to try an upscale 12AU7 based preamp for a while. I've never heard one -- and I'd like to.

All just part of the adventure for me.

Heh... Actually I wasn't in the AMP section. I was browsing the newly listed stuff... Needless to say I seen the Welborne name and clicked on it almost by 2nd nature.

Didn't realized it was yours until I clicked on the link and seen Kelly's distinctive web design.

Nicely done of course.

What 12AU7 based preamp are you considering? I guess the next question would be is it possible for a 12AU7 based pre-amp to pull more low level detail than a 6SN7 based pre-amp?

- tb

"What 12AU7 based preamp are you considering?"

Cary SLP-94

30slp94.jpg

"I guess the next question would be is it possible for a 12AU7 based pre-amp to pull more low level detail than a 6SN7 based pre-amp?"

It only has to pull almost as much. I'm not looking for more low level detail. I want several of the features on this preamp, and it falls into what I can afford.

Of course, this isn't set in stone either, as I'm still running through the archives on the Asylum. Seems folks are almost equally divided between the two camps.

I won't budge on either the price of the AE-3 or the Apollos. So, if they don't sell -- no biggie.

Too bad. Jean-francois just finished Dale Walker's line stage and said even in its curent totally stock guise, is one of the best, most musical preamps he has heard anywhere near the price. HE has sent me several emails raving about it (doesnt know I am posting about it but to hell with the em). "Going back to the Arthur Loesch pre will be a sad thing," says Jean-Francois.

I also really feel you are making a big mistake going for the Laurels simply because I think the 2A3 is a better rock tube than the 300B. IT actually has a tighter bass and is more open and neutral. I love the 300B but think the 2A3 has better defined bass. You say watts is just a number yet you dont really believe it. That being said, you will gain a bit of volume with the 300B but not the sonics in my view. Most people that hear the Laurels and the Moondogs prefer the Moondogs. Consider other options. Still, I dont even know if you should go SET totally. You seem to be a PP 2A3 man!!! That's the ticket! 15w of PP 2A3 triode! Moondoggles!

But...you on your own mission now and there is something to be said about that. Learn by the fire.

kh

I haven't made any offers, nor have I spent money. Please, twist my arm.

So, when was the last time Moondogs showed up on Audiogon?

Maybe bank the money and use the Scott for a couple of years. Honestly Kelly, what do you think?

The watts thing...I believe...but damn -- 3 watts scares the hell out of me.

What are you doing posting in the General Forum, Kelly?!

My God, then you post on the worst thread of all.

I'll admit I lurk and post down there, and have posted on that particular thread, but it gets to point where one should just avoid some of those threads.

What? Are ya bored? There isn't any Castrol 20/50 on sale down there!!

Just giving you a bad time. Don't take me serious!

Let's see if you can sell the Apollos first. I alway consider that a hard amp to sell. Not that it's a bad amp per say; but it occupies such a strange niche actually.

Jean-Francois is selling his HEAVE DUTY 2A3 Monoblocks (his personal ones with MagneQuest iron). These are BIG BEASTS with every trick in the book. Did I say they were big? The chassis are bigger than the Apollos but really nice (black tops with hand-select Birdseye Maple). Sunnysal is thinking about them but he has been kicking the tires for all sorts of things. Still, they are his first if he comes through.

Jeff will make someone a good deal here. Get a load of this: You can buy them stock with Sovtek 2A3. IF they arent powerful enough, he'll change them to 300B monoblocks and JUST CHARGE the shipping plus a small parts difference if any (he acted like it was nothing). You cant beat that with a stick!!!! TWICE! In any way!

kh

I guess my thinking was the Laurels are there NOW, and with the tube rectification and somewhat more accessible tubes over the KR's -- it might be good move.

I could use a chat session. Want to talk for a few? Why don't you email me your phone number and I'll give you a ring.

dean.wescott@wpafb.af.mil

My tire kicking is mostly due to finances. I did not have enough saved up for the stereo version, now the monoblocks are available but for a few hundred more dollars! they look magnificent and he has obviously put a lot of value into them, I am sure he is selling them for parts value and nothing more, a great deal but I am now tire kicking for amps more than a thousand dollars over my mental spending limit. will I give in? I suspect I will inform Jeff that I will take these off his hands. If Deang gets there first that will be his good luck and my loss, who knows I may end up with his apollos? LOL. regards, Tony

Dean,

If you decide not to buy JF's pre as Kelly suggested, my Cary SLP90 has the SLP94 build(All 12AU7s) and specs with oil caps upgrade. I would be willing to give you a good price. Why, I am in the process of buying another pre. Send me an email if you want to discuss it. I have Mullards and Telefunkens, or RCA 12AU7s available. Currently I have it configured with Mullards.

Klipsch out.

Mike,

I am still paying for it so it hasn't arrived yet, nor have I auditioned it. Check the post by pland "Khorns one more time".

"The Preamp is a 6080 tube based design,with an OC83 gas regulator tube,teflon caps,silver wiring,Alps controls."

The Cary is really a sweet unit as you know, and I'd rather it go to someone in the 2 channel forum than to a stranger. I can play the Scout direct from my phono pre until the new unit arrives if I sell the Cary.

Klipsch out.