Help me decide on future career

Kain

Right now I am in high school and wanted to decide on what I will do when I finish. I am really good at Biology. I understand it well and have interest in it. My mom really wants me to become a doctor. She says it is a very rewarding job and pays very well too.

So, is Medicine a good field?

well yes, that'd be a good field for you.

personally i hope to become a Network Administrator, and play guitar on the side. mabey if something wierd happens and people like good music again i can make a career out of it... then we'll see who has the well paying job >=)

just kiddin'... yah medicine is defeintily a good field. plus you can expand into resarch for cures to things like Cancer and HIV and mabey save millions of lives >=)

a lot of my friends parents are doctors... dear lord are they rich... *sigh*

one guy has 3 BMWS 2 Mercedes, a Lexus, and gave thier kid 5k for thier bar mitsvah.

my girlfriend's dad has an 18,000 dollar 2 channel system (hehe yes... i found out AFTER we started going out...) they drive 2 lexuses... or is it lexi... right.... and live in a house big enough to hold mine in it...she got 11 grand for her barmitvat.... shes gonna get a brand new mustang.. AND I PAY FOR THE MOVIES WWWWTTTFFFFF grrrrr... *deep breaths*

my friend evan... i could literally stand my house up in his living room... he rented like... four floors of a hotel for his barmitsfah... and a full secruity force to keep us in check...

coincediently they are all jewish...

ok so convert to judiasm, become a doctor... and you're all set! then move near me and make me feel jealous!

oh i forgot paul... full Paradigm Studio 100 series HT, seperates for power... 1700 dollar projector... huuuuge house... 5 guitars (none of them play well) etc etc.

Well, the money is good if you specialize and have your own practice. If you work for a *** clinic, you will make sqwatt.

You will have to be in training the rest of your life.

I have a frind in my flying club who is a anestesiologist. He owns a P-51 mustang that actually is a WW2 vet that saw action in North Africa and Itally. He also owns a Russian L-39 trainer Jet. Very COOL Aircraft.

JM

A doctor in my town owns a P-51D... and some sort of jet as well... 14.gif Do we know the same person? lol Doubt it.

I love his plane though. (the Mustang)

One of my friend's dad has a Legacy Audio home theatre, all Adcom, rear projection TV, etc. It's pretty nice... He owns a company, so that works too.

Medicine will make you osme money if you work in the right place... but I am not a doctor-liking person, so I could never be one. I will probably do something along the lines of network admin, electrical/mechanical engineer, etc. My only problem is that the colleges I found that I like that have a decent engineering school are REALLY expensive... I mean minimum $30000 per year. This seems like a lot to me...

Medicine is an honorable career. Almost a calling since it will occupy a good deal of your life. Expect long hours and no life-- unless you're a dematologist and can work 9-5.

Seriously, seek out a profession you love rather than one that will pay the most $$$. If $$$ is your goal, you'll never have enough or be happy. I'm almost 48 and, in the past, spent 11 years in a nice paying job, but despite having a lot of $$$, I wasn't really happy. Having a lot of toys didn't make me happy. Now, I make about half of what I did before, but I love my job, I sleep well, have time for my hobbies, and ample quality time for my family. My family will remain with me longer than my patients ever would have.

The sayng goes, "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

It's true.

Good Luck!

Mike

well prodj... bascially i'd work 9-5 type thing as network admin... then at nights i could do gig's wherever i can get buiseness.

and if i got an opurtunity to become more professional and earn a solid living, i could drop being a network admin.

but i really enjoy dealing with networks and technology... so it wouldnt be a drag for me, i'd enjoy it.

I was told by a very dear friend (former girl friend actually) that speach therapy pays up to $80 per hour on a contract basis in our little hick town! BUT you need your masters in education, special education, secondary education or physc. to get started.

The money is great but you get to help others, especially kids and have tolerable hours.

Tresspasser

If you are from Wisconsin, it is probably the same guy.

Jasnoob

Network admins in big business are very professional and very well compinsated. Not sure how to take your post. Also - If your looking for a 9-5 job network engineering is not it. That is what I do. Well, network enginering, and systems archetect work. You have to be very flexable since off hours is the only time you can work on networks and servers. And with most companies with factories in China, our nights are there primetime. You work a lot of weekends and evenings. Most "modern" companies see this and give pretty flexable work hours. I work from home 2 days a week and if the weather is good, take off a lot of afternoons where I work.

My best advise if your a Network guy - Make sure you get a wife that understands when you have to work all night from time to time and most every sunday. It has cost me one marrage. But I love the work and the flexability. In the summer, I am usually flying 2 afternoons a week while most people are at there desks.

JM

Dear Kain.

It is good that you're considering such things.

My guess is that you're faced with some choices depending on your local educational system. It is different in the US than in Europe. I don't know what it is like in the UAE or Pakistan, which I understand is your base of operations. I expect UAE and Pakisan nationals may face a choice of the Muslim system, going to Europe, or the US. Perhaps there are three systems of "college/university open to you. Excuse my ignorance.

It is my understanding that in Europe, a student pretty much goes into medicine in university (first after high school or gymnasium) and flows through the eductational system without interuption.

In contrast, in the US, students go into a "pre med" program through 4 years of college. Then, there is a test for admittance to medical school, which is another 4 years.

I point this out because the good fellows on this forum are only talking about money, and we all have little experience in the complicated issues of the long academic routes (in any given country) which may be open to you. What is "good" for you may depend on the path of education you get into.

I'd say that you should find someone who grew up in your circumstances (of schools) and became a doctor. He or she will be able to give you some good advice on the avenues open. The doctor may be able to share with the you demands and joys of the journey.

There are some issues personal to yourself as you go through this field of study. If you meet with doctors, and they describe their studies, and work, you may well conclude "I want to be like these guys, and do what they do." That would be wonderful because you'll be becoming part of a professional society which does much good work. There is the frightening problem that the patients are sometimes very ill, and there is little to do to cure them.

This is well beyond being good at biology or what your mom wants. Those are not bad, but you should look at where you're going, rather than just what you're good at.

Please look into it, if you can, find a doctor, mentor to show you the way. They're always looking for bright young men like yourself.

Gil

Thinking about it early is good. Take enough time to find something you are passionate about. There is little worse than to be stuck in a profession you dislike (or worse) and cannot leave because of financial commitments (house, kids) or lack of education. Go to university and start out studying a wide range of topics and zero in later. A science teacher, marine biologist for a government, industry or aquarium could be as enjoyable as an MD. Environmental engineering relies on a thorough understanding of biology, chemistry and geology.