doubling heresy cabinets

fec

Good morning - I often read, but rarely post, but today I need opinions and advice.

I am considering putting two heresy cabinets together with one set of drivers. I have a great sounding abused cabinet set of heresys and have found an empty set of cabinets. My idea is to join one loaded and one unloaded cabinet together. Any thoughts? I've read here that the box is too small for the woofer to realize it's full potential and the purpose would be to improve the low end.

• Like 1

fec,

I am by no means an expert in these matters but from what I have heard the size of the box for the heresy and the fact that it is a sealed box help to limit the excursion of the woofer, the airtight box acting as a cushion behind the woofer to help keep it from bottoming out..

I think this is true for the K-22- type woofers although I believe there is an industrial version of the heresy that is ported and has a different woofer.

Like I said' I'm no expert and someoneelse can propably chime in with some more specific info.

Peace, Josh

btw, welcome to the forum.

ah - i left out some info. I'd planned to maintain a sealed enclosure. (close up the holes. i'd read here before, i believe, that that woofer needed more space (in a sealed enclosure). in detail, i thought i would cut matching circles in the ends of the two cabinets to 'mate' them, then take the back off of the one that would have no drivers, then cover those holes with plywood cut to fit. i hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

A Heresy woofer *might* provide louder, deeper bass in a larger cabinet, not twice as large! This is a recipe for garbage. What you should do is put the components in the nice cabinets and modify the crossover. I have 4 Heresies in my HT and have looked over the crossover. The squawker and tweeter are run 4 dB hotter than the woofer. I have a schematic I'll upload with simple mods to correct that. Similar mos have been discussed on the BBS before now. Look for the new thread. I have also designed a new circuit (with a LOT of help) that requires replacing most of the parts that will be a proper crossover. It will be more expensive, but should sound better. I'm waiting on parts.

I pretty much agree with the other posters. Woofers have different "Qs" which permit them to be used in either a sealer or open box. I think if you changed the internal volume of the Heresy, you would screw up the sound. Jogn's crossover mod is probably a better fix.

• 8 years later...

Welcome to the forum. It's my understanding that if you want more bass extension you will have to trade output level to get it (efficiency). A better solution would be to add one or more subwoofers to the system. That way you maintain system efficiency as well as gain bass extension. The woofer in your Heresy can be tuned lower and can even be used in a reflex design. Dave Harris of this forum (Got Hover) has a great site and a design you might like to have a look at here http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id76.html . In most cabinets a shift of 2% or less is not generally considered an issue as far as tuning goes. Damping material can in theory provide as much as 20 - 25% apparent increase of volume though in practice it probably tops out at around 20% (fully stuffed box). I am in the process of helping my brother rework a set of Quartet cabinets. The cabinets are now very well braced and reinforced, total amount of material used internally is just over 4% of the cabinet volume. That amount of volume can easily be made up with added damping material. Will post pictures in another week or so in case anybody is interested to have a look. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

FEC,

The thought is a good one, in principle. The Heresy cab is not optimal for the K-22 woofer and the bass extension is limited because of that. As others have mentioned, adding the second cab would be too much volume and not a satisfactory solution. If you are up to building new cabs altogether, both the Klipsch forte and (now I've had an attack of amnesia) have cabs built which are of optimal volume for this woofer. Also a search of the archives should turn up a thread or two by Al Klappenberger who built a "Heresy on Steroids" which also used cabs of optimal volume for the K22. I got a sub dialed in for use with my Heresy speakers and am pleased with the results.