Everyone Can Afford a Tube Amp - $139 (new)!

J M O N

"...you can come away with a good chunk for a vintage piece that makes that sound like a stick figure in heat walking on razor blades."

OK, I am trying, but my imagination simply can't work with this. Do you have a sample MP3? I'd love to know what it sounds like.

Dave

3 in a box would probably sound better than my Pioneer for HT. But then I quess I could put 3 TA2024s in a smaller box. I could. But for now, not many other people can, and this tube approach with a HT preamp would be a HT improvement for klipsch speakers.

leok

Well, I would get something like the Zen Kit amp or the Bottlehead Paramour Kit before this option. OR go vintage for better sonics if you are just looking at price. I have no doubt this S-5 will probably be an improvement over many SS options. But dont let this turn you off tube sound if you dont find it to your liking. This little inexpensive kit will hopefully spur you to bigger and better things. Still, a vintage EICO HF-81 will play music a hell of a lot better.

As for the sonic picture Dave, take a listen to Thy Shepherd Kings:

ROME WASNT BUILT.mp3

kh

Is it possible that the learning experience from building a kit like this is worth something? I think so. My 9yo son and I have built 3 kits so far. Starting with a non-solder Rat Shack AM radio kit and moving on to DIY cables and finally an AM FM radio kit with plenty of soldering. Count my vote on building something like this kit as a big YES! My son thinks the radio we built sounds way better than my Accuphase tuner through $5,000+ worth of audio gear. Can you say sweat equity?

Regards,

Chris

Why not spend an extra few ducats for a kit that:

A. will provide better sound

B. has better parts and transformers

C. doesnt look like a urine soaked pillow

I think the subject of this post was getting tube amps on the cheap. A good vintage amp with quality iron would sound better. There is no doubt in my mind. And the price would be comparable.

Now if wanting to learn to BUILD SOMETHING? I would go a step up in quality all the way around. To me, two different points are being addressed here. In my view, this kit doenst really address the good sides of both, although it will give you some practice. I would opt for a better kit or learn to rebuild a vintage piece with higher quality iron.

kh

I think that personally I would start out with something like the bottlehead foreplay preamp such as Erik mentioned in his post.

I would think the Foreplay would be more of a worthwhile investment then these other amps.

Not to mention the foreplay preamp includes a chassis that doesn't look like leftover from some kids failure of a science project.

Just my $0.02

Peace, Josh

"...you can come away with a good chunk for a vintage piece that makes that sound like a stick figure in heat walking on razor blades."

OK, I am trying, but my imagination simply can't work with this. Do you have a sample MP3? I'd love to know what it sounds like.

Dave

MH:

Crikey. Where in God's name did you come up with that??????

Needless to say, your image is now firmly affixed in my brain. I lived through the 60's and don't recall a trip that bad even on bad acid. Of course, I don't recall a LOT about the 60's.

Dave

Leaving the literary imagery behind for a moment...

I've built the little S-5 stereo amp, and I can offer a couple of comments:

1) This is an extremely easy kit to build, since it's on a PCB. The Bottlehead kits are point-to-point, and while anyone with reasonable manual dexterity (I am borderline) can assemble one, for the complete tyro a PCB kit seems like a good place to start. Of course, one has to avoid the temptation to overheat the board while soldering and damage the traces.

2) Given that people are buying (and even raving over) the AV8's at $99 a channel, why not get the same thing (essentially) for less and have the fun of putting it together?

3) The S-5 amp is very quiet and sounds pretty good. It's a bit grainy and strident compared to my Paramours, and, no, it doesn't sound as good as the HF-81, but it does sound good... nothing to be ashamed of.

4) The kit as supplied is NOT "household-friendly"... mounted on a pine board, with an in-line (exposed) fuse and plenty of places to grab hold of hot things (thermodynamically and electrically). This may be a significant concern for some.

5) The S-5 amp does run very, very hot. Not quite sure why... AudioExpress did a review a couple of months ago, and they mentioned that the plastic tube sockets started to discolor and melt.

... and to finish the thought...

5), continued: Mine haven't done that, but there's no question they get hot. Supposedly S-5 is going to re-engineer the kits for ceramic PC-mount sockets.

6) The 11BM8 is not a high-end tube! My kit came with 4 unbranded tubes, two Japanese and two Korean. The Japanese tubes flared up like lightbulbs at turn-on, and one failed (hairline crack in base) after just a few hours. The Korean tubes were much better behaved. I bought 4 NOS GE 11BM8's from Dick Bergeron. Interestingly, these are Japanese IIRC, but don't do the light-bulb thing.

In summary: I'd call this amp a $139 educational toy that you can actually use when you're finished. At that, I'd sy that it could be considered a very reasonable value.

Hope this helps.

Mark Hardy! Welcome dude. If you are the MH I am thinking of, you have provided me with some valuable information over the years. Now there are two MHs here with great advice. What are you using for loudspeakers and amplifiers these days?

9.gif

Hi Colin:

Not sure if I have a Doppelganger (don't think so)...

Still usin' Paramours, EICO HF-85 and Cornwalls upstairs.

Downstairs there are three junkyard-grade systems that have achieved some permance:

AR-3's & Magnavox ppEL84 console amp

Avid 102's (sometimes Dynaco A35's) & EICO HF-81 that really needs to be recapped someday

Zen SE84B & Heathkit cabs loaded with original Jensen RP-103's and replacement EV LS8 FR's (the original Jensen P8R's were gone when I found the cabinets).

My wife got me a Bottlehead Seduction for Christmas but I haven't had a chance to even start on it yet.

Mark,

If I remember right you're from Harvard MA correct?

Are you the gent selling all the Vintage tube and SS equiptment in the Wantadvertiser?

With Chris Robinson in Lancaster and myself over here in Fitchburg we should all get together some time for some listening and general Klipsch talk.

Jeff

PS:If its not you in Harvard sorry for the wasted post5.gif

JCturboT:

Yup, I am from Harvard (NOT the university!)... Nope, not me selling stuff in the WantAdvertiser. Jeez, maybe I do have a Doppelganger! I just acquire stuff.

Yes, I'd be up for a "preaching to the Klipsch choir" get-together anytime! Chris is in the middle, location-wise... :-)

ps. Hope you're all having as much fun with the budget process in the 'burg as we are... I am on the Harvard School Committee and things are not pretty for FY04 (or even the rest of FY03)

I built this kit as kind of an experiment. Extremely easy build, took less than 2 hours from start to finish. It was a great learning experience, and I also love the sound it produces. I have it hooked up to my computer using an Audigy 2 sound card, and it sound incredible for $130. I am powering some SB1's and a cheapo 10" sub and it sounds better than when I was running the same setup through my Onkyo TX-DS595 solid state reciver. I know not a high end solid state, but midrange and definitely more expensive than the K12M kit. And for those who think the chassis is ugly, I did too. I just built my own out of oak, walnut and some stainless steel. Looks good and it just feels good to build your own. DIY is fun! I am now thinking of building some tube preamps for my HT.