Speaker placement question

Kevin cornette

A few friends and acquaintances sometimes listen to music with me, not at the same time, usually one of them comes along. I like the exchange with them, they are very different types of listeners. It's a special experience, sometimes it reinforces listening as a shared experience and it's like telepathy, at least the idea of it. But sometimes it's also distracting and I can't enjoy a piece as if I were alone, then I'd rather open a beer and leave the music in the background. Sometimes the shared experience, whether it's good or not quite so deep, is like music is a seismograph for togetherness. One of my friends is a classical pianist, and that's where it works best because he doesn't like to talk about "technical" things or "sound". I'm very happy that my wife shares my hobby, even though she's more of a bookworm.

2 hours ago, Kevin cornette said:

KT

I would have loved to have afforded the c22. I think that’s esthetically my favorite preamp. Mercy I spent so much time looking , reading and almost pulled the trigger on more than one. You and your quad is no different than my wanting another Dual 1229. I loved that turntable. Someone posted some pics of a friend of his stereos in a beautiful house and equipment. I think he said they visited and listened to music. But it made me think back to the 70’s when that’s all we did socially was visit friends and listen to music. I miss those times, I got turned on to some great music I may not have found otherwise.Do any of you guys still visit friends and listen to music? Since my friend Keith died I doubt if I ever will again. Please excuse my droning on. Good evening. 

My father had a Dual 1229 around 1972 and there was something magical about this record player, I loved its sound. A few years later he swapped it for a Dual 701 with direct drive, a completely new thing back then. At that time, people were intoxicated by the new and the supposed progress. To be honest, I missed the wonderful sound of the 1229. Because the 701 was newer and more expensive, it "had" to be better. But not for me. There is "objective" data and subjective experience. The 1229 was always my favourite because of its emotionality. A little later, my father swapped his Dual 701 for a Revox B790 with a tangential tonearm. Once again, it was the belief in progress. I personally found the B790 tonally even colder and more sterile in sound than the Dual 701. 

This is not to say that my father and I didn't had a good relationship. I have a lot to thank him for, including his introduction to jazz and classical music. When you see that I come from Germany, Cologne, you ask yourself, how could my father have grown up with Jazz in those dark times in Germany? He did not, but in 1945 the Americans appeared (fortunately) and occupied his parents' house and turned it into an officers' mess, He worked for them as an interpreter at the age of 17 because he was one of the few who had learnt English at grammar school. Among the Americans was a doctor who had stacks of jazz records with her. So he not only learnt to love freedom and democracy, but also jazz.

I wish you every success in your search for a nice 1229. As they say, it will find you.

3 hours ago, Kevin cornette said:

Do any of you guys still visit friends and listen to music? Since my friend Keith died I doubt if I ever will again. Please excuse my droning on. Good evening.

No worries, and yes, music is a big reason why we get together. I have a few friends and luckily I get to enjoy different genre's of music with them.  They all enjoy a good sound system,  but that's not as important as just getting together and jamming tunes. Playing in band, going to see bands, all of it.

I’m happy for you Nicky, and wish y’all the best, npersonally I can’t conceive of life without her. Well boys,here it is my ugly instant HD shelf system, first used by roommates and I back in pre marriage apartment living days. It was beefy enough to hold that Heavy Crown DC 300,IC 150a preamp and a few albums. I know its ugly and industrial so says my wife but whats a boy to do? Nearly all accessories are there, spread out and easy to find. Open holes in cinder blocks are storing new strings, several foot pedals, replacement pick ups and shelves hold all stomp boxes, guitar synth…….feel free to hammer me. How bad does it look? You won’t hurt my feelings “probably”. Like I told my wife, it serves a purpose. And got rid of three boxes lying on floor. So what y’all think?

The boxes on floor by cheap cd rack are now neatly posed on cheap brick and wood shelves. Last pic shows present state of right wall under guitar rack  IMG_1719.jpeg.e74a2216ddc9198294bf319e57e28bab.jpegIMG_1718.jpeg.1bc23027d5330be1ac6b336ea254516b.jpegIMG_1720.jpeg.37723d66dc5cec3594bf78cbcfb50b60.jpeg

Ceptorman I don’t have stands or hook enough to display them all. But just for you Ceptorman a truly amazing site. This is my friends collection. I just couldn’t get them all in with cases open. But name a classic: he had it. More pics than I can post here. 
this may be common for some of you guys and I knew Keith all my life but never saw all he had until he died. They were in different rooms and closets through out two houses. Plus PA speakers mixers, he didn’t have kids and he was an only child. All his instruments were classics old strats LP’s, Gretchs, Taylor, Martin,he was my friend from 74 our first working band till he died, dozen of bands in between. If you want Ceptorman I’ll post some of my favorites he had. 

IMG_1318.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:10 PM, nickyboy6100 said:

I’m 43 and been married for 10 years. I have put my wife through hell and she’s always been by my side so I can understand. She is so saintly, I will get into heaven by association. 😁

We all need saintly wives! My first wife (30+ yrs) loved to read and loved classical music. She put up with me having guitars out, mic cables strung through the house, tape deck and mixers and musicians in and out. My current wife (we've passed the 13 yr mark) is also saintly but totally different. She was a school teacher and has different interests. She puts up with my music passion, which hasn't slowed down much.

• Like 1

Kevin, that's an incredible collection! Classic electrics to parlor guitars to jumbos.

My best friend, since '67, has a small collection of Martins. Unfortunately, our lives and work has kept us separated so get together are rare.

Marvel, sounds like you are a very blessed man. I hope you do keep up with your friend as I just this past summer had friends from summers oh 75-76 come visit , met my fam stayed two days and we talked non stop it was as those 40 years never happened we picked up where we left off now we talk, text at least once a month. I don’t have many OLD friends left. And music is that bridge that’s joins me back to those times. Certain songs bring back flash’s of my past in clear detail. 
I’ll shut up now Marvel. I do wish you the best for you and yours. Happy thanksgiving Marvel. 

• Like 1