No tubes? A GREAT PAIR of early CARY Gear for Sale!

mobile homeless

Ok, you have been reading and gazing at my rambling about the quality of circuit, design, and implementation of Jean-Francois' new 6SN7 preamp. All true. I think a good octal preamp like the 6SN7 is far better sonically than the 12AX7, 12AU7, 6DJ8, 6922 options. That is why while perusing the net, I was happy to find this rather rare combinatin USED that would offer someone a GREAT start into tubes with two classic pieces of gear.

cary_duo.jpg

Of the two, the preamp is the best deal, but the Cary Audio SLA-70 is a nifty amp in the image of the Stereo 70 and other vintage EL-34 offerings. It is wide open for modifications and tinkering as well. I had this amp for awhile (briefly) in the early 90s but it was the Signature edition. Cary offered iron upgrades and MagneQuest has some great outputs as well. Not to say these were bad, but many things can be done. You have point to point wiring, good parts with Sideral Caps and Dale resistors, twin tube rectification, Class A bias, and 6SL7 drivers.

As for the preamp, I had this unit. It is one of the best total preamp deals around in that it is not as "warm and golden" sounding as the Conrad Johnson pres but not as sterile and analytical as Audio Research of the day. On the whole, I think this was one of Cary's best preamps. It has a nice 12AX7 phono stage with a 6SL7 line stage coupled to a 6SN7 Cathode Follower. I currently have a version of this preamp that is heavily modified and use it to this day. The pre came with an external power supply which is more important for the phono stage. With good NOS tubes (I loved the RCA 5691 and 5692 which lasted me about 10 years), this is a GREAT full function pre (it does have a hefty amount of gain, however).

Here is a page I did on the unit when I sold mine a while back. IT has MORE that you might want to know about the piece....See the interesting Bound for Sound comments from days gone by....

Cary SLP-70 Details - Pictures - Review Comments - Specs

IF one is interested, they need to write the owner of this duo for details. The can be bought separately as well. $900-1000 for the pair strikes me as a good deal depending on if the pre is the version with the external supply and Cathode Follower. Some were sold with the PS in the unit and with no cathode follower. $600-650 is a good deal for the pre.

Ad: AudioWeb Listing for Cary Gear

Note: The pictures above are off my own HD and not of the gear for sale. And remember, before buying any used gear of this nature, feel out the buyer and find out all you can about the details. I have not talked to this person so keep that in mind.

kh

ps- btw, in my view, this preamp will be better than the Bottlehead Foreplay in parts, circuit, and tube choice, although I think the little Foreplay is a great kit and a good way to learn and get good sound - Stock, Giant Killer status is questionable, but that's just my opinion.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly:

Isn't this pretty obvious???

The Foreplay doesn't cost anywhere near what you are comparing it to. But you're are really missing the point, which surprises me. You have admitted that you haven't gotten into any kit-building, and you are one of the people I have in mind as being among those who might benefit from the process. The Foreplay wasn't designed as an end-in-itself preamplifier. Think what you will about 12AU7 tubes, it will not change the fact that they are extremely good audio tubes. And I'll say this again: My point in bringing the Foreplay into the picture has more to do with the process than the product. For such a very small cost, one is investing in what can lead to a life-long enjoyment of DIY tube audio. Buying a pre-built component is absolutely, unquestionably, undeniably a perfectly valid and legitimate thing to do -- especially if one doesn't have the time (although there are wasy to find the time if one might take a close look at how one spends a very significant amount of it...).

My mentioning the Foreplay and Bruce Rozenblit's designs was geared toward those who are interested enough in learning more about electronics and vacuum tube technology -- both historical and contemporary -- to maybe have a 'go' at building and constructing a piece of very decent sounding equipment for a very modest cost. The Foreplay does not come with a pile of fancy-*** resistors and insanely priced capacitors. It is a very basic design, that encourages and allows the individual user/builder to implement changes on his or her own -- and learn from the process of undertaking those midifactions, as good or bad as they may turn out to be.

I don't have the slightest doubt that JF's Pantheon is a first-rate design. My point was that there were several posts made by genuinely inquisitive forum members who expressed an interest or a desire in gaining the ability to build an audio kit. Jean-Francois' preamp is not sold as a kit (is it?), so I tried to think of some designs of which I am familiar that I could suggest to those curious few.

Nothing will change the fact that the Bottlehead Foreplay and Transcendent Sound Ground Grid preamplifiers are truly excellent ways to begin the joy and pride that can come from building something for one's self. There are other kits available, but those I mentioned are the only ones I can speak about from experience. What one gets for a rounded figure of $100 is very much a giant killer! Know why?

...but wait, you already mentioned that you had doubts about that. So let me explain:

Once those two 12AU7s are glowing and making music that would have normally cost alot more to obtain, the person sitting there listening in the dark can smile and think (or even say out loud!)"Cool! I built that myself!"

It's a neat feeling, and I hope you get to experience it sometime.

Erik

Here is the information I've received so far:

"Condition is mint, I used them for about 11 months, being busy, not that often. I estimate they have been run no more than 400 hours. I do not remember when I bought them, it was in the mid nineties, before cary switched these amps to A/B mode. These are the original pure class A all the way amps. The the amp is the signature version. I had my dealer bypass the balance control on the pe-amp for claritys sake, the difference is is significant. The amp can use a number of tubes, such as 6550s which have an aggressive slam to shame solid state, EL34s, my favorite with full power, timbral accuracy and very involving, and KT77s, expensive, tight and very neutral, I feel at the expense of some sense of aliveness.

Cary preamps do not have external power supplies except for the phono-pre-preamp. Neither do they have cathode followers, which are a form of input drivers, and which, if at all, are better used in amplifiers, see: http://www.bottlehead.com/valve/pnppg1.html. Please check this out, with reference to even their most expensive gear, at http//:www.caryaudio.com. Under the product, look in the cell called TUBES. No cathode followers."

I am awaiting information on the tubes.

My apologies here as this Cary SLP-70 for sale does NOT INCLUDE the phono stage. And the price of $695, I dont think this is as good a deal. IF you can get this guy down to $600 or so, this preamp is more in the proper price line although a tweaked AE-3 would be cheaper at $350 or so. Still, if you can get the combo at this price, it is VERY good. This amp can be modified to be switched to triode as well. Kirk at Cary has done many of these mods.

I was thinking this beast had the phono stage all along. With phono stage, it rank it as one of the best full-function preamps as it employs the very linear 6SL7/6SN7 tubes and is VERY quiet. I prefer this preamp over most of the 70s/80s 12AU7-12AX7-6922-6DJ8 preamps.

The Bottlehead preamp is a kit unit - There is TONS of info on the net! See referenced links above. It is a neat little kit. For another kit option that has tube rectification and more good mods, see the Basie Preamp at http://www.diycable.com/catalog/products/basie.htm

The SLA-70 amplifier for sale is the Signature version with better output iron. This is a great amp as well - Bettering the Dynaco ST-70.

kh

ps- For those in love with that lovely AVATAR and with experience rebuilding vintage sports cars, see the

EIGHT STAGES OF VINTAGE CAR OWNERSHIP

Kelly,

The SLA-70 amplifier for sale is the Signature version with better output iron. This is a great amp as well - Bettering the Dynaco ST-70.

You should rephrase that to bettering any ST-70 you have heard !! I would be willing to bet with the right modifications and proper front end the ST-70 could easily best that amp.

Craig

Ive been through this with you since the first days of your time here. It "Easily betters" the twin rectified, 6SL7 octal tube driven, Signature Output version of the point to point wired SLA-70. This from your exposure to both the Curcio mod ST-70, which you havent heard, and the SLA-70 Signature, which you havent heard. OK. I'll give you that one.

kh

I have been focused on getting the big speaker cabintets built. They are almost done. They will house Altec 416B, Altec 515C, Altec 511B+ 802-8G driver, and JBL 2404H tweeter. Quite an experiment and potentially way over my head figuratively and literally. I will keep the Cornwalls in the house also for the simple approach. So yes the amp ugrades will be next. I have several potentials which will be shuffled around between the system with the Cornwalls (already sounding pretty darn sweet), and the behemoth experimental tri-amp science fiction movie.

Granted the HF-35s are most promising (with centertaps to add bias controls), but I also have HF-22 on hand as well as Mark IIIs. Meanwhile my back hurts from moving the 8' cabinets around in the shop, and I have a cold now. Things take time.

Your avatar maybe prettier, but I am the secret inspiration, from past llifetimes, since you picked up on the momentary manifestation of the MAD cover parody of the Picasso used for your previous avatar. I have inspired many others to greatness. It is my role.

Anyway, I will be consulting with you and/or Craig when it comes time to settle down and purchase some caps for these amp upgrades. This hobby never ends......do it?

c&s

I am now deciding on the color scheme for the "Pollack" paint job on the big cabinets. I will need a crew of four just to move these beasts into the house. The wife, so to speak, is getting impatient. She can hardly wait to have another 10% of the living room eaten up by monsters from the laboratory.

Who knows, with the Cornwalls still in the house, I may even try out an SET on them, when the moment is right, Assuming I could ever settle on a decision regarding those. Something for the future.

kh

ps- You still going that tri-amp route?  I predict unhappiness in the long run.

maybe so, however, I remain positive in light of your seemingly manipulative negativity, I enjoy the experiment, the adventure, and the potential for the learning experience, it is the independent inventor and creative spirit in me, the visionary dreamer and do-it-yourselfer, rather than the syncophantic shopper who just wants to buy what the alleged cool kids say is cool and is a must have. The boring conservative approach is not why I am in this hobby. Anyway, you are being true to form with your attempts at sail wind usurping. How do you manage to hold in so much of that air without looking like a balloon? How come you don't try some soldering yourself, the iron would make the perfect balloon popper.

-c&s

Nice response. Manipulative negativity? For saying I dont think tri-wiring is a good thing???? You are surely one of a kind. Talk about jumping the gun....What an over-the-top response. I say that I predict unhappiness with Tri-wiring as I dont think the complexity is the ultimate answer and you come with a response like that? Holy issues. Dont worry, I have learned my lesson with you, athough it wasnt for lack of trying. No manipulation from this end, in any fashion.

kh