JBL Aquarius 4

Deang

O.K. loons. Anyone remember these? Time to tap into that old gray matter.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=26351&

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/aquarius.htm

These are my Dad's. They've been out of service for about a decade. Since I'm already working on two sets of speakers, and have enough drivers, caps, resistors, and wire laying around to trip and strangle myself on-- I thought it fitting I take these on as well.

I caught a hair a week or so ago, and decided to tear one of these down. I came away surprised with the quality of build. Real wood, with drivers that weigh about as much as an average bowling ball. Cool design really.

The low frequency driver is a LE8T, which is actually a full range driver, and the tweeter is the LE20. The LE8T is slot loaded by using a radial horn, which is built into the endcap. It's very well done, being totally integrated into the wooden cap piece. The idea here is kind of 'Ohmish' if you know what I mean, with the idea being 360 degree sound -- which is what appealed to my Dad.

Physically, the speakers are in great shape. Both drivers are fine, with the exception of the woofers having succumbed to very bad cases of foam rot. Until I started on this DIY thing, I had just assumed the awful sound was due to blown speakers. So, not the case, and I have already located replacement surrounds for the LE8T's. I just redid the surrounds on the DQ-10 woofers this weekend, and I don't anticipate any problems doing these. As a side note, if you ever decide to do this -- be sure to use test tones to ensure the voice coil is properly aligned in its magnetic gap -- bouncing the driver doesn't count.

At any rate, Dad is going to rub out the wood with a kit, and I'm doing the drivers and crossovers. Of course, same old same old here. The resistor values are clearly marked, but the caps...well...I guess they're caps...

Scroll down please...

post-3205-13819246224728_thumb.jpg

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=26352&...caps?

Well, they are either caps, or old Russian toilet paper rolls left over from one of their numerous shortages. What's up with the wires on those things?

Unfortunately, the values are not marked on the caps, and if you read anything from the link -- you learned that the geniuses at JBL managed to lose just about every scrap of data from the project.

So...suggestions anyone? Can I send these caps to someone who can tell me what they are?

post-3205-13819246224928_thumb.jpg

Oh crap, TB -- I'm supposed to give him money before the end of the month for some really cool tweets. Seems like I can never sell things off fast enough to get the new things I want. Another good deal down the tubes.

Tom would chuckle at these "JBLs". I don't know, he might get nauseous, since they cross over at 5K.

Actually, a "fluke" meter would be great, I didn't realize something like that was so affordable. I was thinking I needed something like what's sitting on Al K's workbench. I'm sure the caps have dried out some, but hey -- close would be better than a SWAG. Where do I get one of these things?

When these came out, I thought it was a good idea. I still think they would be good surround speakers.

Wish I still had some useful information for you. There are some JBL groups out there. You can probably find someone with working ones, that you might get the spec from.

Good Luck,

Mike

• 7 years later...

LX12-7, network for S109 (Aquarius 4)

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/S109%20Aquarius%20IV%20ts.pdf

The wax filled caps are ElectroCube, stacked film type with hand
soldered teflon wire terminations. They sound vastly better than the
spiral-wrap-and-end-mashed-into-tin-paste that the Solen
type are(Hovland and Theta are soldered), the connections don't degrade
anywhere near as bad over time. I bet they still measure good.

Partial list of JBL part numbers and values for wax-tube capacitors:

10358 16.5µF

10359 13.5µF

10391 8µF

10434 12µF

10296 6µF

41040 4µF

11937 3µF

10460 1.5F