POWER CORD?

AnalOg

I'm probably going to get slaughtered for this, but I can handle the lickens!

Lately I've been listening to my SS amp, coupled to my rf3II's with Nordost Solar Wind cable. My listening conditions are not the greatest, in a unfinished basement. High frequecies can get very bright and fatigueing after a while, even at moderate listening levels. At first I thought I was spoiled by the 299a I had been accustomed to for the last month or so. Previously to aquiring the 299a the MF was not as fatigueing. I got to thinking last night as I was listening to Miles Davis, King Of The Blue,on vinyl, why? I got to thinking that I made a change of the original powercord to a home brew cable I made, 10 guage Carol cable & and some premium Wattsgate plug & iec connectors. I changed out the cable back to the original and what you know, I got back that non fatigueing sound again, almost like all the tones dropped about a half octave. Am I imagining things or is this possible, I must confess I don't have audiophile ears, but my hearing is very sensitive to high frequencies, it actually hurts to hear, when I changed out the cable it toned down, can a cable make such a difference, I say yes. It makes sense to me that when the amp was originally designed it was voiced (for lack of a better word with the original cable), changing it out in that listening condition is not fitting. This is not to say maybe in a better accoustic set up it could change for the better, I will experiment further, O.k., go ahead ripp me a new a$$hole.LOL!!6.gif

Thankx

Tom

You've probably guessed by now that no one wants to touch this one, and for good reason.

I can accept the ability of audio cables, which carry with them the actual audio signals between components and speakers, to have an audible effect due to variances in resistance, capacitance, inductance, and the various distortion types. However, "sound" being effected by raw AC coming from a wall socket into the beginning of a components power supply path is a bit much for me to handle.

Of course, you're hearing something!

I know Kelly believes they make a difference, maybe he'll chime in at some point. In the meantime -- I'll do some surfing on it. I just haven't gotten to this point yet.

Dean,

I agree with you with all that said. My main reason for making the cable was just for the coolness factor. The only difference that I picked up on was the tonal change everything else appeared to be the same to my ears and audible memory. As I stated once way back in another post, I have a condition of having holes in my eardrums, from chronic ear infections as a child. This condition leaves me amongst other symptoms with a very sensitive reaction to high frequencies. With condtions inherent to listening in a bare basement I can truley detect the difference. Than again maybe i need to up my meds dosage!! 3.gif

Tom

I too have a hard time believing that the AC cord can make a big difference. that said, I have not had the opportunity to try a high-end AC cord anywhere in my system, so I am just speaking from limited intellectual ground here. I also would think that signal carrying cables would have the most effect, with the lower level signals more affected by cables and higher level signals less efected (i.e. interconnect versus AC cables). Have you tried swapping back in the old cables and see if you have an additive negative reaction? if you feel it sounds better with the new cables more power to ya (pun intended!). I would like to try this someday...tony

Tom,

I too had the million ear infections syndrome when I was a child. I have a left tympanoplasty with plastic hammer, stirrup and whatnot.

Have you had your perforations repaired? If not, I recommend you see a doctor about this procedure. Mine did wonders for my hearing and I can even go swimming again.

Tom

Despite the lame post in that other thread... heh..

Ok. I couldnt agree more here. In fact, I have heard HUGE differences in power amplifiers with the changes of the power cable. I have seen this time and time again, with my various solid state monoblocks over the years AND tube amps. The Power Cable can really change the sound and presentation.

Now for the kicker.... 8 times out of 10, I end up preferring the stock, lame *** power cable that comes with the amplifier. I have had many people suggest and send me custom cables. The latest were the DIYCable Bob Crump designs which have gotten raves. I tried them on my Moondogs. The problem is, although the sound "changed" I wasnt liking it as much. On the whole, I have found certain power cables, the DIYCAble included, tend to pull the music apart bring a strange lack of cohesion to the presentation. At first, I thought the soundstage had gotten larger... Then, I realized I wasnt really liking the sound as much, even though I wanted to with my new FREE $$$ power cables. When I put the original cable back in, cohesion and a more relaxed sound came to pass.

Now I have many friends that love custom power cables and swear by them. I personally have just not liked the result more often tahn not. Sometimes difference is not always better. Those cables are sitting in the closet like a host of other unused tweaks.

As long as you have a good power cord taht is properly shielded and contructed, it will probably be fine. IT doenst hurt to try out a new one however. There are DIY options all over the net.

kh

Heh....indeed.

Well, I do want to add that some components DO benefit from better power cables. I have to be honest in saying I have heard this. Remember, I said 8-10 times. But more often than not, I just seem to prefer the stock cable.

One thing to also remember. I have posted on this to crickets, but it does deserve repeating. You need to be aware of the proper plug polarity in your system as well. And going through the whole system and figuring out cord orientation (with a cheater plug if needed) is a REAL serious tweak.

When all is right, things really snap into place sonically. Instead of writing this mess out yet again, here is a link:

Determining proper plug polarity

http://www.gcaudio.com/Archives/acpolarity.htm

See these VERY helpful tips:

http://www.gcaudio.com/Archives/gcaarchives.html

kh

I personally think adding a nice grounded power cord to a vintage amp in most homes is a detriment. This really will depend on how clean your grounding system is in your home. To ground your chassis to every other TV , VCR , Light and god knows what else in your home to me is crazy. Tube amps sound fine with no ground at all !! Now if your home is electrically clean then this may not be true. Like my house the entire place is grounded to the plumming which also hooks to every other house in the area. I tried grounding my amp to my main house ground and gained enormous hum and noise as a pay off !!

Craig

Craig,

I always wondered how that 'grounding' thing worked. Dude, you are right! When I first got the Apollos, I had them both grounded, and man, the hum was awful. Kelly mentioned lifting the grounds, and so I went and got some nice adapters. I'm telling you, the hum was cut in more than half.

I've been tempted into going with some 1 prong plugs. I'm thinking this will probably get rid of the remaining hum - what do you think?:):)

Dean,

If a 1 pronger would work for anyone you would be the one. I was testing out some different speaker wire and interconnects last night that someone sent me. The speaker wire was silver sonic and it surely did make a difference !!! It was almost hard to listen to it !! It was seriously harsh in the highs !!!! Went back to my average 16 gage bargin special and the sound was beautifull again !! The interconnects made absolutely no difference to my ears at all.

Oh I ordered 2 chokes for the 299's I thought I better buy a spare incase it made a difference for you !! I also ordered some large value Lytics just in case I find your amp will benefit !! Rest assured when I'm done the wait will be worth it. Trying for that ultimate bass control !! Did you find the bass loose on the 299A you had ??

Craig

Dont write off all speaker wire off just yet. I find silver to be a scary result with horns sometimes, especially if plated. At least you found they could be DIFFERENCES in speaker cable. Sometimes it doesnt work out. When it does, it's worthwhile, believe me.

You didnt HERE any difference at all with the interconnects? What were they? This is very strange. Usually moving to IC from the garden variety at least brings some sort of change.

kh

Although I've never been able to try a speciality power cord (none of my stuff has detachable ones), I do believe that the AC out of the wall can make a difference, sometimes substantial. Some power systems, especially in cities, can be "dirty", full of grundge and interference. I could hear a difference when I installed an Adcom AC Conditioner.

I also heard an improvement in sound when I had an electrician in to do various work in the house and had him add an outlet that ran straight to the circuit breaker box and into which is plugged only the TV & the Adcom to which all the stereo components are plugged. This was a relatively low-cost "tweak" which had an obvious beneficial effect.

Kelly,

Let me repeat for a godzillionth time and not always to you. I have never said speaker cable and interconects don't make a difference. What I have said a godzillion times is that it shouldn't make a difference its job is to pass a signal untouched to the speakers or amp and if it does make a improvement its because your amplifier or preamp is having a problem and you are masking it using different cable skeems. I say I would rather taylor my amp or preamp (since I can do this myself) rather than go through 100s of different cables to find the perfect match !! Than when I do find the perfect match I'll switch amps or preamp and have to start all over again. I say use a descent quality speaker cable and interconnect and taylor your other components to sound good with it and be done with it. I'm just not that particular to spend that much time over sonething so trivial as this cable and that cable sorry 1.gif

Craig

tom,

It's basically a skin graft. I was asleep so I had no issues with the procedure. :)

The doctor took a small piece of one of the underlying layers of skin from a spot on the outside and grafted it onto my eardrum, covering the hole. My hammer,stirrup and anvil were MIA from all the infections, so they inserted new plastic ones. I've never had an ear infection or any other ear issue since it was done, this was in 1982.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of this, I think you might consider going to a real ear doc (ENT or otolaryngologist<-- butchered spelling, I know). Ask to be evaluted for the procedure. If your ears are like mine were, and have the messed up or missing hammer, stirrup deal there's a substantial improvement waiting for you on the other side. even if your are intact it's worth it just to get rid of the physical hole.

My ears pop when driving up mountain roads now, I was totally shocked first time this happened.

Tom

if you want to discuss this further off-line, email me at tmoble@earthlink.net or tjmobley@us.ibm.com or 602-550-2009, my cell phn