Klipsch Heresy wires in series

holtrp

I have read mixed things about wiring heritage speakers in series. There are some threads where people are pretty impressed with cornwalls / heresey in series: a few others mention you can’t do it because you are not wiring a single speaker in series but an entire crossover network. Think I am going to try I but just wanted any input before I do. Seems to me the circuit will be the same just double the ohm weather you were wiring a crossover or a single driver in series.

thanks for any input.

Some context. I recently acquired a pair of Khorns for mains in my HT and sold my RF83 and RC64. So then I found a pair of heresy’s and have always been of the opinion that 4 is better than 3 so I want to try out a pair of heresy’s behind the screen as a center channel but have in wall wiring so can only run both off a single channel.

4 hours ago, holtrp said:

Some context. I recently acquired a pair of Khorns for mains in my HT and sold my RF83 and RC64. So then I found a pair of heresy’s and have always been of the opinion that 4 is better than 3 so I want to try out a pair of heresy’s behind the screen as a center channel but have in wall wiring so can only run both off a single channel.

According to Paul Klipsch, when speakers of unequal performance are operated in a single system, the distortion of the lower performance speakers will tend to dominate the sound.  That's not his exact words, but gives you the general idea.  Of course, Paul was always after the best possible sound.

You would be better served by a larger Heritage Series speaker for the centre, like a Cornwall, a La Scala, or a Belle Klipsch, since the three front channels are the most important.  That said, I did run a single Heresy III between my La Scalas for a couple of years, and it sounded fine.  Better sound will be available when the situation suits you.

What about using your Heresy speakers in the Surround positions, for a 5.1 system?  Nearly all video recordings have much less content in the Surround channels, so the speaker choice is less critical.

10 hours ago, holtrp said:

Except that things such as comb filtering will take place when you run more than one speaker from a single channel.  In that case, more isn't always better.

• Like 1

The heresy was originally designed as a center for the Khorn, and with K77 and K55 it seems like a perfect match at least in the horn section for the Khorn if not the woofer. I have inwall reference pro surrounds, I’ve reached the same conclusion that there isn’t enough content in the surrounds to justify heritage speakers. My preference is to stick with inwalls just to keep the room clean.

On 12/8/2023 at 12:44 AM, holtrp said:

IMG_2018.jpeg.5321abbf67d493b96d10a9ad965aba78.jpeg