Lascala cabinet resonance

Flevoman

Will look at this fresh today.  I’m thinking when I tried again my sub might not have warmed up or something else was amiss.  Does the OP have a sub?

Im thinking this could be in the realm of the stereo bass arguments you will see everywhere.  For example, one site says “As a general rule of thumb, it’s considered common practice to sum anything below 200hz to mono.”

So one idea is to replay the track in mono and see if the problem goes away since it went away when playing one speaker at a time.  I have all my speakers set to full range because well they are full range.  Bass heads will disagree but I like it.  So when I tried it again after system shut down from inactivity, it’s possible my sub was not on, and perhaps the way the sub interacted with the AL5s created the sensation.  Remember when I said the problem was gone when I only played the left but then I said the problem was sort of gone when I only played the right?  Well the sub is on the right.  If my AVR is sending 80Hz and above to mains and not summing the bass and sending to sub (which I believe it is) then the interplay of stereo bass plus sub is showing its effects.

Have fun watching YouTube on mixing stereo bass then go listen to the “experts” at audioholics and elsewhere.  

will also try the peq setting but that won’t make the effect disappear necessarily.  It will still be there just less audible, and my windows won’t shatter. 

21 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

There's been a lot of bandwidth expended on this when it's probably just a nothingburger.

Words We're Watching: 'Nothingburger' | Merriam-Webster

I’m sure you manage to tune out a very big world without any assistance with thought terminating comments like this.  Following the mystery is part of the hobby, but of course if you have an object to sell to “fix” something, you don’t want your customer to find out the reality. 

6 minutes ago, Stephen Buck said:

I’m sure you manage to tune out a very big world without any assistance with thought terminating comments like this.  Following the mystery is part of the hobby, but of course if you have an object to sell to “fix” something, you don’t want your customer to find out the reality. 

Somehow I think I should be offended by that....

1 minute ago, Shakeydeal said:

Somehow I think I should be offended by that....

Only if you feel you have a right to be offended.  The OP is offended with how some songs are reproduced in his setup.  Shall we figure out the physics or tell him he shouldn’t be offended?

7 minutes ago, Stephen Buck said:

Only if you feel you have a right to be offended.  The OP is offended with how some songs are reproduced in his setup.  Shall we figure out the physics or tell him he shouldn’t be offended?

My reply was actually a joke, but obviously not a very good one if I have to explain it.

You guys continue smacking away at this horse, he ain't quite dead yet. For me, I will continue to blissfully and ignorantly enjoy my lascalas while not worrying a whit about all things EQ.

Carry on....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stephen Buck said:

Bay Area-based engineer Mark Needham has worked with Isaak on almost all of his records, as well as on the music for Showtime's The Chris Isaak Show.

Let’s get Mark Needham on the thread. 

I sent Mark an email.  Let’s see what he thinks. 

Hi there, not sure if you have time, but a Chris Isaak fan is complaining about some songs as he is experiencing on Klipsch LaScala AL5s which I was able to reproduce on mine.  Wondered if we could know more about the mix and how the waves of the bass and Isaac’s voice are timed and traveling in stereo/mono.  I think some of us ruled out cabinet resonance it’s how the song comes across in horn loaded bass cabinets as well as sub and goes away with single channel played, so it seems like a timing issue and wondering whether it is on purpose or just an artifact of the 90s style of engineering.”

24 minutes ago, Stephen Buck said:

Bay Area-based engineer Mark Needham has worked with Isaak on almost all of his records, as well as on the music for Showtime's The Chris Isaak Show.

Let’s get Mark Needham on the thread. 

Let's see if he will comply...may have an explanation.

3 hours ago, Stephen Buck said:

Haas Effect? 

This is your multi source bass when summed correctly @63hz... Placed within a 1/4 wave length of each other.

Low frequencies are Omni-Directional

52943305030_85fed9814e_b.jpg

This is your multi source bass, ON CRACK, when they are not summed and placed in a 'STEREO' layout @63Hz... you tell me which one should sound better.

52942916781_a7ff6b9a99_o.jpg

• Like 2