Valuing 70s La Scala speakers

bobofgold

Hi all, long time listener, first time poster here! 

I've been using Klipsch in my home cinema setup for a couple of decades and for a long time have had an aspiration to find some vintage La Scalas to underpin a HiFi setup. I'm in the UK so they don't pop up that often and I've found someone selling a 1970s pair that have been sat unused in a church for the last 15 years having been used as organ speakers prior to that. The type is listed as LS.BB and the serial is 18T979. 

The cabinets are well scuffed but don't have any major dents, cracks or anything visible other than surface damage. I think they would clean up OK. 

I've just received pictures of the crossover. Looks like it's have some tinkering but I'm past my knowledge here so hence the post ^_^ there's also an amp that's been added to each speaker as they were used as active speakers with the organ, but I assume this would be relatively simple to remove. 

My question is what am I looking out for in terms of things that would make me completely avoid them?

The seller is very open to negotiation and is keen to be rid of them. Again, I know the UK is a different market, but I would be interested in hearing thoughts on an opening bid either assuming everything is good, or assuming the worst. 

Screenshot_20231229_093437_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231229_093443_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231229_093450_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231229_094606_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20231229_094615_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20231229_094537_Messenger.jpg

Edited by bobofgold
Just received additional photos
  • Like 2

Welcome @bobofgold

Try 800 to 1000 US dollar equivalent for the buy, bearing in mind the refinish of cabinets, the refreshing of capacitors, the transportation. The chance you are taking, without the ability to demo if all driver/speakers are working, if so.

Or, go abit higher if seller  taking bids, auction style, if you really want them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome @bobofgold

Try 800 to 1000 US dollar equivalent for the buy, bearing in mind the refinish of cabinets, the refreshing of capacitors, the transportation. The chance you are taking, without the ability to demo if all driver/speakers are working, if so.

Or, go abit higher if seller  taking bids, auction style, if you really want them.

Or offer him less...

I had a single LaScala just like that one that was hooked to an organ in a church. The cabinet's black finish is the easiest to make look good again and coming from a church, it probably wasn't driven to its max every Friday and Saturday night... just guessing.
The value / price is dependent on whether others want them too. They're worth what you're willing to give. 

I sold mine to Kirby, a former member on here. 

DSC03247.jpg

On 12/29/2023 at 4:36 AM, bobofgold said:

The seller is very open to negotiation and is keen to be rid of them. Again, I know the UK is a different market, but I would be interested in hearing thoughts on an opening bid either assuming everything is good, or assuming the worst. 

these are 1979  Lascala   , the items that will require a refresh are the capacitors of the crossovers  .

-take some time to test the drivers   , tweeters are 8 Ohms , the mids K-55V are 16 Ohms , the woofers are 4 Ohms 

-assuming the drivers are in good working order , you should clean the voice coil gap of the HF drivers as a minimum 

-the value of the speakers is about 1500$  if all drivers are operational   , the rarer parts are the klipsch copper badges , so make sure not to lose them or damage them during transit .

• Klipsch Employees
40 minutes ago, OO1 said:

these are 1979  Lascala   , the items that will require a refresh are the capacitors of the crossovers  .

-take some time to test the drivers   , tweeters are 8 Ohms , the mids K-55V are 16 Ohms , the woofers are 4 Ohms 

-assuming the drivers are in good working order , you should clean the voice coil gap of the HF drivers as a minimum 

-the value of the speakers is about 1500$  if all drivers are operational   , the rarer parts are the klipsch copper badges , so make sure not to lose them or damage them during transit .

On the caps…..not necessarily. If they are the oil filled caps, only if they are leaking or bulging.