WTB K-762-KP Tweeter for KP-102

Delicious2

Not sure.  I measured the resistance across both tweeter inputs and both working and not working units are at 8.4 ohms.  Besides sounding very "dull" and the problem following the tweeter when I swapped them between the two KP-102s,  this is how I know there's a problem:

The first two higher level sweeps are the KP-102s.  The red one has the bad tweeter.  I also checked it by disconnecting the woofer.  The "bad" tweeter only made a very low sound during the REW sweep by itself.  Is there a way to measure the diaphragm directly?

Klipsch Pro Surrounds FR.JPG

2 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

I guess I actually only need the 1" CD not the horn/lens.

This link might help you find one more quickly. Dennis (djk) is no longer with us. He was SO helpful (RIP Dennis).

Read what Colter said. What you need was used in more than one tweeter. Just make sure the lens is the same as yours, or just swap it.

• Like 1

Good to know Geoff thanks!  As I googled in various ways about the tweeter, I thought I’d touched on something P-audio when I started using the term “cross reference“.

I’m curious how you knew about this copy of this Klipsch tweeter.  Are there some cross referencing sources that you go to or better yet one master source?

Oops, maybe discussion of this sort is frowned upon now, because it directs people to purchases other than Klipsch.

17 minutes ago, Delicious2 said:

Seems it's more delicate than I realized.  I appear to have severed hair thin connections in the diaphragm. 

I good chance that it was nothing that you did or didn't do: it was broken before you touched it and that's why you weren't getting any sound from it, but had continuity. 

I would clean it well making sure that there is no debris in the area where the coil goes and replace the diaphragm making sure that the new one clears the walls freely. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

K-762-KP diaphragm.jpg

the mylar dome diaphragm in the above picture has 3 terminals instead of 2 ,  klipsch did manufacture a mylar diaphragm for a short period of time  , it was an advanced design with Ferro-fluid in the magnet gap to cool the diaphragm 's VC   ,   without FF , the diaphragms did not sound as good + durability was lowered .

-   if all your KP-102 speakers have the same mylar diaphragm,  it is crucial to clean the VC gap to remove any residues and to top up with FF for optimal sound quality .

Thanks.   So, would any of the many options for new diaphragms available on ebay, amazon and even from Crites be suitable (mostly titanium) or should I look for "mylar" (phenolic?)  The 3 terminals is just a double of the positive one I believe.  I just have the 2 KP-102s but am thinking I should replace diaphragms on both.  Where to get ferrofluid?

the Mylar were only made by klipsch , klipsch ran out of these long ago  ,  you can buy FF from PE in various sizes

https://www.parts-express.com/Ferrofluid-900uL-General-Purpose-for-4-Diameter-V.C.-340-546?quantity=1

-  the klipsch Ti diaphragm is part # 127123 - K-792/103-TI DIAPH. KIT , standard equipment , Heresy IV  , CW IV ,Forte IV  etc , 35 $  from klipsch , 

image.jpeg.f5233494040ae4c14e81d0f15738cb73.jpeg

6 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

So, would any of the many options for new diaphragms available

With several others listening too, I have compared ABC and D tweeters, that's why I have the extra drivers. Some were close, some stood out as a little better and one pair was so much better that they won hands down. 

22 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

With several others listening too, I have compared ABC and D tweeters, that's why I have the extra drivers. Some were close, some stood out as a little better and one pair was so much better that they won hands down. 

I’ve found options b&c to sound the best…. 🤔

• Like 1