My first Klipsch: heresy wedge monitor modifications

3 hours ago, pcbiz said:

Your project will definitely be fun. I started with a vintage Heresy pair, then Chorus IIs, and now vintage La Scalas. Learning is fun.

I’m definitely in this journey for the learning experience , and achieving what I want for personal use w my current means. not for klipsch purity

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

They're your speakers do with them as you wish. If you do build your own cabinets with the parts you have I'd recommend looking at @ClaudeJ1 Super Heresy's

You should stop bumping this thread and instead link it with a PM - for obvious reasons. 

On 1/11/2024 at 5:42 PM, Deang said:

If your plan is to gut them, the cabinets would be practically worthless. I can’t imagine anyone paying for them with no drivers or crossovers. 

if you are tight with money, the answer is definitely not destroying a perfectly good set of loudspeakers. 

They were designed to be used as stage monitors and have a strong vocal presence. Converting the networks to the AA will rebalance the loudspeakers. It will pull the midrange back so you can hear the bass. 

OP, don't modify them until you get them working and you listen to them for a while.

Actually the Type HIE is a Type AA with the woofer cap changed to raise the Woofer to squawker crossover point for the K-700 horn. 

https://products.electrovoice.com/binary/EVM-12L Series II EDS.pdf

From the graph in this spec sheet, you can see the woofer has a rising curve and hits about 102 dB/w/m around 3k Hz.  Klipsch voiced this speaker for outdoor use (and there it sounds great).  The squawker and tweeter are run at 104 dB/w/m.  A hybrid crossover more like the Type E will voice it more like a home Heresy and make it better for indoors.  However, that rising woofer response curve may need a steeper low pass filter.  This is a DeanG job. 

I had a similar pair of HIPs (same crossover and components).  They were ported and still pretty bright.  @ClaudeJ1 may be able to help you design a port to extend the low bass limit to home audio limits.  He likes that woofer for that.  He has developed a mod for the Heresy cabinets with that woofer and a port and a corner that you might like.  Otherwise, that woofer is popular with guitarists and not suitable for a home edition Heresy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JohnA said:

OP, don't modify them until you get them working and you listen to them for a while.

Actually the Type HIE is a Type AA with the woofer cap changed to raise the Woofer to squawker crossover point for the K-700 horn. 

https://products.electrovoice.com/binary/EVM-12L Series II EDS.pdf

From the graph in this spec sheet, you can see the woofer has a rising curve and hits about 102 dB/w/m around 3k Hz.  Klipsch voiced this speaker for outdoor use (and there it sounds great).  The squawker and tweeter are run at 104 dB/w/m.  A hybrid crossover more like the Type E will voice it more like a home Heresy and make it better for indoors.  However, that rising woofer response curve may need a steeper low pass filter.  This is a DeanG job. 

I had a similar pair of HIPs (same crossover and components).  They were ported and still pretty bright.  @ClaudeJ1 may be able to help you design a port to extend the low bass limit to home audio limits.  He likes that woofer for that.  He has developed a mod for the Heresy cabinets with that woofer and a port and a corner that you might like.  Otherwise, that woofer is popular with guitarists and not suitable for a home edition Heresy. 

Thanks for all of this info, it’s always been my intention to sit with them working for a bit before doing any work. I have managed to fix them and have been listening to them. It does seem that they are not voiced for indoor home use but I will wait longer so do more research 

Edited by 1000frogs
Typo - I have finished, not haven’t

7 minutes ago, 1000frogs said:

Thanks for all of this info, it’s always been my intention to sit with them working for a bit before doing any work. I haven’t managed to fix them and have been listening to them. It does seem that they are not voiced for indoor home use but I will wait longer so do more research 

K-22  woofers or K-28  4 Ohms woofers , 100$ each from klipsch Parts  , would bring the speakers in line with Heresy 1 sound  with an E network configuration ( very easy to do )  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OO1 said:

K-22  woofers or K-28  4 Ohms woofers , 100$ each from klipsch Parts  , would bring the speakers in line with Heresy 1 sound  with an E network configuration ( very easy to do )  

Type e seems great because I’ll just have to take the 4uf caps out of circut and leave in the 2uf 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1000frogs said:

That’s my plan as of now ! Thanks so much y’all! 

I also used 10 awg copper wires for the crossover/driver connections. It's a very nice and balanced sound. It sounds just like turning the gain up three steps or so on an analog mixer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcbiz said:

I also used 10 awg copper wires for the crossover/driver connections. It's a very nice and balanced sound. It sounds just like turning the gain up three steps or so on an analog mixer.

And if you have any extra, you can use it to Jump Start a Diesel Locomotive! bs alerts notwithstanding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

And if you have any extra, you can use it to Jump Start a Diesel Locomotive! bs alerts notwithstanding.

Yes, I do understand. It's quite normal to decry thicker cables giving a little more current and sonic improvement to a speaker. It's also quite normal for the DIY crowd to find out that it's quite true, and definitely worth the time to try it.

On 1/14/2024 at 5:48 PM, pcbiz said:

Yes, I do understand. It's quite normal to decry thicker cables giving a little more current and sonic improvement to a speaker. It's also quite normal for the DIY crowd to find out that it's quite true, and definitely worth the time to try it.

PWK told me it was a waste of good copper just to drive a #30 gauge wire in the K33 WOOFER. So only worth the time to YOU, as my bs meter is pegging about doing that to a frikkin' Tweter!