Quartet distortion

Pronex

Hey all. I have a pair of quartets that recently I have noticed one of the speakers is having an issue with distortion. When playing music I don’t really notice it, but if there is something playing that is mostly just speaking then it sounds slightly distorted. Almost like someone is talking through a kazoo, if that makes sense, but not extreme. It’s really hard to tell if it’s there when music is playing though, which is strange. I have swapped the cables around and it is definitely only happening on one speaker. Any suggestions on what I can do to diagnose this. Thank you for your help. 

Sounds like the spider has come unglued.

Try playing NPR talk programs. Play at low volume. If it sounds okay a low volume but as the volume increases the problem

becomes more apparent, then it's the spider. You could also do this while turning down the bass control all the way and

increasing it slowly.

I would send the woofer out for a repair and I'm guessing the easiest way to access the spider is to remove the cone

so they would probably re-cone the woofer at the same time.

Call Klipsch parts but doubtful they have anything to replace it.  Look on ebay maybe for a set being parted out possibly.  I have no clue if that woofer was used in any other models so not sure what to cross reference. Maybe it's the spider...or surround...or separated V/C to cone...or...

I have a long time friend in Tulsa that owns a shop called Speakerworks and knows all things Klipsch and has been certified repair for 30+ years. Also sells Heritage. Might give him a shout.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Sounds like the spider has come unglued.

Try playing NPR talk programs. Play at low volume. If it sounds okay a low volume but as the volume increases the problem

becomes more apparent, then it's the spider. You could also do this while turning down the bass control all the way and

increasing it slowly.

I would send the woofer out for a repair and I'm guessing the easiest way to access the spider is to remove the cone

so they would probably re-cone the woofer at the same time.

So that is exactly what was happening. I was playing talk radio and noticed on low volume it was fine but the louder it got the more pronounced that issue was. Any recommendations on a reputable place to have it repaired? 

49 minutes ago, Pronex said:

So that is exactly what was happening. I was playing talk radio and noticed on low volume it was fine but the louder it got the more pronounced that issue was. Any recommendations on a reputable place to have it repaired? 

Location may help getting a recommendation.  We have a great speaker tech here in Smyrna GA. 

Just a quick update to say that I was able to successfully repair the woofer. Found a local guy who diagnosed it was an issue with the glue separating from the spider on the cone. He cut the dust cap back during the repairs to help shim it and also found the glue separated from the spider and the coil. $21 for repairs and it’s back up! Thank you for the suggestions and feedback here. 

• Like 3