Need a reputible repair shop for a Nakamichi 482

MisterT

Just south of Austin, TX. When the play button is pressed the capstan engages the cassette tape and you hear the tension taken up in the tape but the tape does not advance. I'm the original owner and I miss using my NAK.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MisterT said:

Just south of Austin, TX. When the play button is pressed the capstan engages the cassette tape and you hear the tension taken up in the tape but the tape does not advance. I'm the original owner and I miss using my NAK.

Sounds like time for belts. Might not be too difficult to diy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dave1291 said:

Probably worth doing even if it's not the problem.  It's just finding the original or a quality replacement.

Likely a drivebelt broken over that length of time. If comfortable would pull cover to verify unplugged. ToReplace from a belt kit. A hair tie or better replacement found at local Ace.

Clean any belt residue and  make certain belt not too loose or tight.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MisterT said:

OKay, I will take a look. It's been serviced before. I think the belts may be okay, but I will open it up and find out.

Sometimes you find a belt off of its drive motor. If belt looks okay, turn back on to see dc motor is actually turning. May be wiring connection not making contact. If burnt smelling inside, try to determine if motor or burnt belt smell.

• Like 1

So I opened up the NAK and confirmed that FF and REW work. When pressing play, I can hear and see a motor engage, but I don't see the hubs on the cassette rotate. One motor operates REW and FF functions. The play motor does engage and I see a belt turning a large weighted pulley however the hub does not engage the tape. Will need to look further. I do not see remanents of any broken belt inside the unit.

• Like 3

A very silly question, but sometimes it helps. Have you tried different cassettes? I remember in the past that some cassettes simply had too much friction and the take-up spool was not free. Or that the unwinding spool was blocked and the friction wheel together with the drive shaft could not transport. And cassettes become not better when aging.

• Like 3

Yes, I've tried different cassettes, all act the same. I can see belts and pulleys/gears moving, but its likely the capstan or idler is not being engaaged. I am deciding whether to remove the front or not. I would rather not get in too deep. A previous service did get most of the hardened grease out of the mechanisms which did help. The REW and FF speed seem slow, which also points to the idler.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MisterT said:

Yes, I've tried different cassettes, all act the same. I can see belts and pulleys/gears moving, but its likely the capstan or idler is not being engaaged. I am deciding whether to remove the front or not. I would rather not get in too deep. A previous service did get most of the hardened grease out of the mechanisms which did help. The REW and FF speed seem slow, which also points to the idler.

Idler could have been overlooked in the service. Took a few more years to fail. 

Wellllll, the old grease was always a problem w/most decks w/age.  Nak had nice decks back in the day and I do know once you start opening things up and nosin things can go south pretty quick.  Wish I could remember.

There are a ton of "old" guys who know them inside and out hangin around at most reputable stores today. You'll get hammered for an hour bench time if it takes 5 minutes or 45.   Bottom line it's your nickel so how bad ya want it?  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...