HEARING AIDS -- Likely a Redundant Subject Around Hear (Heh), but Any Recommendations?

Gilbert

My hearing's been getting increasingly worse and as of lately I've been thinking it's about time a try a pair. Damage is mostly to my left ear, I blame shooting but have been known to play my music loud on occassion...  usually when driving alone long distances. Anyway, some years back I had a client who was also a dr. who recommended the brand "Starkey".  He also sold them so I think he could be a tad bit bias.  We didn't discuss the subject in depth, only in passing and out of my interest in his work. I have tinnitus (high pitch ringing), been that way all my life, though the level or degree has not always been constant... I assume it varies with the environment I'm in... don't really know, don't think about it too much, never had..... use to assume it was normal for everybody, but what the hell do I know.

Anyone have experience with different hearing aids brands, types, etc.....  What kind did you find most comfortable, e.g. in-ear, semi-in-ear, behind ear. My biggest concern is amplifying unwanted sounds, want to zero-in on normal conversations. Lately I've been asking "What ?", "How's that ?" too often during normal convesation.  

• Like 1

Been sporting a high dollar pair of Beltones for a couple years now.  The thing is I've heard the stories if you weren't deaf before you got them you will be without them.  Yea, I'd tend to agree with that statement.  I take them out and I don't hear squat.

You do become dependant on them more than you think.  Docs cringe when they eyeball my ears.  I'm a candidate for implants in both ears but opted outta that til the aids don't do much at all.  Don't like the idea of a couple lumps on my skull.  No need to look like my favorite martian before it's necessary.   😂

The ONE thing I recommend is IF you get a pair make darn sure any bluetooh program from your phone to your aids is PERFECTLY seamless.   There is nothing worse than being in mid-conversation and have the other person drop from your convo.  Then you have to dis & reconnect the blue tooth for the aids to work again.  It's annoying and embarassing as f&%+.  You don't even know they're talking with you they're just gone.

Then IF they're still with you when you realize they're gone you have to apologize every time and explain.

They put you in a pair then hang 'em leaving you thinking they're fine.  Then when you address the issue you get a "they're working on a fix."  I had a new Samsung cell and there are a couple model updates in the last year or so and they still don't have a fix. 

They don't want to play in your phone so it's on you.  It's crazy.  Check the trial period and if they drop return them for something that doesn't.  Make sure they understand that from the get go.

They did tell me if you run an i-phone it's np.  Problem is mine's an android.  Yea, ok...  I'll just change up my game to your plan.  Got it.  NOT!  :) 

Have fun brother.  Mine do work though.  Smooth as silk once you dial them in.  Have fun!    

• Thanks 1

All I know is Starkey takes in some massive profit every year.  They have a huge bash where hundreds of people are invited and they always have at least a few high profile celebrities at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Costco just set me up with the Jabra Enhance OTC aids. (first time in my life) They were (and are) really helpful. 

Work great with my Iphone. Settable to different situations via app. 3 band EQ for when I'm watching TV.

Awesome warranty, 2 year replacement for loss, damage or theft etc. Online adjustments.

The fact that my provincial Govt is paying up to $2000. to help seniors paved the way for me.

The price of the Jabra's is $1999.99.  So they only cost me the penny that I didn't get in change.

Good luck

Edited by NADman
Forgot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried a Starkey Evolv in my left ear. Just went through the process this past fall.

The fit was spot-on. Cost was $1k, not covered by my insurance. I did not like the fact that it

required a smartphone for the app to adjust the hearing aid; there was no PC based app which

I verified with tech support. I don't own a smartphone so I had to resort to using my work phone.

Lots of adjustable features but quite frankly it didn't work for me.

Also, as a cyclist I couldn't wear it while riding because the wind noise  was amplified and it made

no sense to remove it and carry in my pocket; it would likely wind up in the wash or get lost.

I had 60 or 90 days to return it, which I did, for a full refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

All I know is Starkey takes in some massive profit every year.  They have a huge bash where hundreds of people are invited and they always have at least a few high profile celebrities at it.

yea, sounds exactly like what I heard, i.e. Rodger Waters has a pair, he also mentioned a couple other high profile clients, which of course raised my interest. But it also raises my BS alert system too.

• Like 1