Added some sizzle

4 hours ago, imeiamme said:

why would you let your cable hang like that? nice set up. but, that cable could be doing something else besides hanging around like that. IMHO.

like some cable ties??....and only some will get this...what color should they be?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:00 PM, babadono said:

Don't know how well the dipole AMTs will do right in front of bass horn.

they would NOT do good at all... they definitely need to breath.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:06 PM, Gnote said:

@Schu Don't you have the Celestion axi2050 drivers and are you using the Beyma's with them ?

that is correct in both terms... no matter what I did, I could not get the 2050's to fill up that 16k+ region to my personal liking.

On 3/6/2024 at 1:00 PM, KT88 said:

Do you drive the AMT actively to compensate for the lower efficiency?

this was one reason I went with the beyma... efficiency matching.

Beyma tpl200
● Extended frequency response (1 - 23 kHz)
● High sensitivity (104 dB)
● High power handling 240 W program (X-bow ®)
● Extremely linear frequency response
● Ultra low distortion
● Cast aluminum 80º x 30º horn

On 3/22/2024 at 10:15 PM, babadono said:

like some cable ties??....and only some will get this...what color should they be?

yeah man... get with the program. they need color matching and need to be gussied up

😛

1 hour ago, Schu said:

that is correct in both terms... no matter what I did, I could not get the 2050's to fill up that 16k+ region to my personal liking.

Do you feel the 2050's were worth the price or do you wish you had kept the K691's and augmented them ? 

47 minutes ago, Gnote said:

Do you feel the 2050's were worth the price or do you wish you had kept the K691's and augmented them ? 

well... that's a tough one.

I DO think the 2050's have a different sound signature to the six nine one that I do enjoy/prefer over the entire 'range'... but it's not a GIGANTIC performance difference that one can take advantage of in a home setting. It is a change that is slightly > more than just 'Subtle'.

In terms of the economics, I am okay in spending the money for the difference... I really don't measure things in a cost versus reward manner because there will always be a uncontrollable 'barrier to entry' price associated with equipment change, but I would NOT have done the swap had the Heritage model not had the same driver. Keeping the driver swap in the 'Klipsch' approved setup made it okay for me on a personal level.

However, I am very curious in trying a Beryllium Diaphragm Driver... I just like/prefer the sound of beryllium and I think the 2050 gets me partially of the way there over a stock six nine one.

To your original point... I do think that most would be MORE THAN happy with a 402/691 and AMT set up. I am trying for a bit more.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:02 PM, babadono said:

My limited understanding of the AMT is that it is a dipole radiator and does need to be open to the back. Does not stop one from ignoring that fact and trying it in other ways.

I have some AMTs (on a shelf, since upgrading to the Axi-2050 on K-402s). When I bought the AMTs new from Heil, there were no instructions about back wall spacing or interference. So, when I did use them, I covered the backs with thick sound absorbent material to reduce the potential phase problems from wall reflections. I like those Beyma units with the rear enclosure.