Has anyone tried this isolation box?

robforst1

http://www.auralthrillsaudio.com/

AURAL THRILLS AUDIO

The Company That Listens

TURNTABLE ISOLATION BOX

New and Improved

Now our boxes are covered in black vinyl laminate. It is more durable and better looking than the previously painted ones!

The first time that I made an isolation box the sonic improvements were unreal. I then read about using air as an isolation medium and came up with the idea of building a box that not only isolated against vibration, but would allow the user to LEVEL THE TURNTABLE as well. If you look at the picture of the box you will notice three air valves on the front. Simply by using a Bell foot pump #2439001001, (Most bicycle pumps will work, but this one works best) available at Wallmart for under ten dollars, you can level your turntable by inflating or deflating. The valve on the left controls left up and down, The valve in the middle controls back up and down. And finally the valve on the right controls right up and down. This is really great on a lot of the newer turntables that have no method for level adjustment or built in suspension system. You can also change the overall sound of your table by increasing or decreasing all of the air levels equally. It is made of heavy MDF and is finished in a non obtrusive matte black. It's exterior dimensions are 20X19X4 inches and it will easily hold 200 pounds. The top is 17 3/8X17 3/8 so please check to see that these dimensions will fit your table before you order.

I originally made this for a friend whose turntable is shown in the picture. It has no way to level it and a somewhat lacking isolation system. The improvements in sound were not subtle. A much larger soundstage was created along with more accurate placement of instruments. Richer and fuller with more detail and less background noise. It seemed as if the music were coming from a silent black hole. It made this relatively inexpensive table sound like the big boys on the block. If you have any problems with footfalls or any kind of external vibration, this is the unit for you and as an added bonus you can adjust your level easily. When ever you are hearing a lot of snaps and pops from your records the first item to check is the level. It must be perfect in order to get the most from your vinyl. Even the most expensive cartridge won't sound its best unless the table is level. It is imperative that the needle track down the center of the groove. I check my level every day as houses often shift where I live.

Make sure and check out the Ebay feedback on my product as well as Audiogon because customers are raving about the sonic improvements. So if you would like to try this magic box don't delay. now is the time. Shipping is only 20.00 to anywhere in the continental USA. This product is handmade so please allow two to three weeks for delivery. Please check out my other auctions for more interesting audiophile products.

1 isolation box-------------------------------------------------------------99.99

shipping/USA--------------------------------------------------------------20.00

Read what our customers are saying about this product...

Subj: Re: box

Date: 11/19/2002 5:16:59 PM Central Standard Time

To: Kennytoma@aol.com

CC:

Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hi Tom: WOW!, WOW!! AND DOUBLE WOW!!!! This turntable base blows away in performance and ease of use any other isolation gadget that I have used in all my years as an audiopphile. It is so good that I know that the Sterophile mag people will never dare to review it since they only cater to a megabuck minded consumer audience. I was able to pick my worse sounding LP and played some background items that before were veiled to my ears. The fact is that I do not know what I was doing wrong before. Well, I know what I did wrong ; not buying your turntable platform earlier! Two Thumbs way up to your designs and wish you great success with your future endeavors. J. E. Molina, Pembroke Pines, FL 33024

Subj:

Date: 9/28/2002 7:32:27 AM Central Daylight Time

To: kennytoma@aol.com

Just wanted to let you know that I received my isolation box, and after listening I am blown away by the difference it made! I am using a Thorens TD 165, and the bass response is just so much smoother! Sound stage is incredible! Thanks so much Lee

TT isolation box is awesum my 1K Well-tempered sounds like a VPI Hotrod

Positive by xguy (21) on 10-02-02

Subj: RE: Turntable isolation box

Date: 8/20/2002 6:34:51 PM Central Daylight Time

To: Kennytoma@aol.com

I have had the box for a couple of days and it is safe to say that it is

great. I had used a Bright Star but I could not keep it level. I am very

happy. Positive feedback will be posted. Thanks much. I hope your product

does well.

John

Hello Dere!

I built a crude approximation of that box one weekend and found that it made a significant difference but the unit was about as pretty as a hound suckin' a lemon. I invested some time in refining the setup on my flexyRack and turntable suspension and the VTA on the tonearm and was able to eliminate the need for the isolation box.

That said I can easily see how that unit could improve the sound of a turntable and it does look one hello of a lot better than the unit I cobbled up and would simplify the levelling issue no end. I suggest that if your turntable does not provide some mechanism for fine tuning the levelling of the platter with respect to the shelf it sits on then the isolation box is probably a very good deal indeed.

The box provides 2 major benefits as I see it.

Vibrations transmitted from the floor ie. footfall vibrations are essentially entirely eliminated and vibration from floor resonance - through your audio rack - to your turntable base - to the tonearm - to the cartridge - and thence to your amp are greatly reduced.

Airborne vibration will also be essentially nullified.

Taken all around the Isolation Box is probably a good deal.

For what it's worth...

I needed to level two of the three turntable feet and used 2" circles cut from old mouse pads. Thiner mouse pads allow you to stack circles to get precise leveling. The textured bottom of the mousepad prevents it from slipping on the rack.

I don't know if it improves the sonics but it does allow you to completely level the turntable.

C&S,

Are you finding you still need to isolate your MMF 7 to isolate it from vibrations? Isn't the split plinth design supposed to accomplish this? Dang, after searching for LP12's to little success, I had thought to myself, make it easy and grab a MMF 7. If I had to worry about isolation issues, I may as well keep searching for a LP12. Let me know, will ya?

Hi Edster,

Yes, I frequent Audiogon almost daily now. I have seen a few appear but they generally are going for more than I am willing to pay. The ones I have seen that I thought were a good value go faster than greased lightning. I will just have to be more attentive to this but I still question whether a LP12 is overkill for me and whether the MMF 7 would be more suitable and again today I researched Origin's Ultra with a fully modified RB250 arm - which I keep seeing referred to as a less expensive LP12. I want something that will be my final turntable so I am prepared to wait until I get what I want - ok, I am prepared to wait until I have NOS bring my Eico to spec if it needs it - I almost sold myself on the MMF 7 but don't want to be bothered with a turntable that is too susceptible to vibration.

Still waiting for C&S to give me his thoughts on this issue and his overall assessment of the MMF 7. With no intimate knowledge, I think it looks cool but I also think the Linn is very classy. 10.gif So we see, I definitely am relying on others input.

Crash,

Once I solved the isolation problem for the MMF-7 by setting it up on a marble slab and four handballs sitting in furniture cups, the unit sounds great. I see this as a permanent fix and it looks kind of cool as well. There is a round bubble level on the deck of the turntable so I did some minor shimming under the furniture cups to get it perfectly level. The marble slab is 19" X 21" so you need some space to set this up. This whole-set up is on a larger table. I plan to leave this just this way. The spit plinth does not deal with isolating the table from footfall vibrations in the house and from the loudspeakers. What that does is to totally isolate the motor from the turntable. The only connection between the motor and the turntable is the drive belt. The motor has a cool blue pilot light which is nice.

I like this table and the cartridge which is quite detailed. I still have the Technics 1200 also. Sometimes, with some compromised vinyl, the Technics is better because it doesn't pick up as much detail. It has been fun having both tables. The other day I picked up an old Roost 10" , Bud Powell's first LP. This beat up old vinyl did not sound so good on the MMF-7, but was more tolerable on the Technics. Often I will shuffle old vinyl around until I find the table which is best. For good clean or perfect mint copies or new vinyl recordings I always go with the MMF-7 now. Aside from having to fix up the isolation platform, the MMF-7 was pretty easy to get going and was a lot of bang for the buck.

Hope this helps.

C&S

Thanks C&S,

That does help. Maybe I am just cheap but for close to $1G, I expect something that doesn't have isolation problems - frankly, my conspiracy side looks at it and says these peckerwoods got together and said "uh, look we will sell this kick-butt turntable but it won't work worth that well UNLESS they buy a good stand from us or from one of the other guys so we can make certain to have a steady income stream."

Heck, my Technics sounds ok but my own experiments have shown me lack of isolation has serious effects on the sound. I want something much better but I don't want to be dealing with suspension issues on a thousand dollar table. It moves me closer to grabbing a good vintage table and throwing a great cartridge on it or waiting to see if a Linn drops in my lap.

Now if I find out that even with all that suspension wizardry in the Linn, I will still have suspension issues, I am going to get pretty annoyed and vintage will definately head to the front of the class...or a Rega. Well, hell, who knows. I will just buy what I perceive to be the best value at the time. If I have $2G to blow, I could still end up with the MMF 7 - it is a cool looking table.

IF you have some patience and are willing to tweak a bit, I think the Linn LP-12 with a good arm is one of the most musical tables out there. It is rich sounding, with a very tube-like midrange which adds to the realness. It is not quite as neutral as some of the more modern offerings but in many ways I think it sounds more real, despite the apparent contradiction. After doing extensive comparisons to a near State of the Art table I will say the well setup Linn LP-12 is every bit as musical, if not easy to setup and use. Granted, the PE table is so turn-key, it's amazing. It's a tour de force build wise. It is probably the most overbuilt piece of gear I have ever had in my home. And the sound is excellent.

On the other hand, I believe the Linn LP-12 has a certain soul and richness that is hard to find in gear. I have heard a lot of great gear over the years. But only a select few have that soul and magic that defines a classic. Along with the EICO and Cornwalls, the LINN LP-12 tops the list.

kh

I feel the same way about Ortofon SPU cartridges (and to some degree Decca London catridges as well). I have never found ANY other cartridge that can deliver the overall "musicality" (for lack of of more scientific term) of the SPU. But to get the most from an SPU you need a beast like an SME 3012 or FR64 tonearm and these work best with beasts like the Garrard 301/401 or the Thorens TD-124 and so it goes . . .

Naysayers can ramble on all they like about rumble and noise, but man-oh-man the SOUL of the music comes through LOUD and CLEAR.