Another jewel in the ruff !

NOSValves

As if I didn't have enough tube amps around here I stumbled on this 7189 based amp on ebay with no bids starting at $95 so I said what the heck and won it for $95 LOL !! Its not a cosmetic beauty but man this things sounds great with a wonderful phono stage and the amp can be decoupled from the preamp and run as a power amp.

Its made by Stromberg Carlson Model ASE-6 Preamp and ASP-60 Amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=3003853446&rd=1

Just had to share this it was a real shocker !!

Heck the thing works perfect for $95 hard to believe no hums, no noise . Incredible !! I have no clue what I'll do with it though. I'm sure I will give it a freshening and offer it to someone on here to get a taste of tubes and they will pass becuase its not a HF-81 or Scott 299 !! Like I've offered my Heathkit AA-151 a million times for $175.

Craig

I don't understand why they don't jump on that Heathkit.

Vintage tube amps doesn't just stop at Eico and Scott.

I would, but I am a poor bastard for another month or so.

Nonetheless,

Good score Craig!

It's nice when you get a tube amp dirt cheap and requires very little work if at all.

My Monkey Wards SE 6BQ5 receiver was ten bucks, bone stock and quiet. I just had to replace a few wanked tubes.

Enjoy your new amp, Craig.

eBay has some deals, don't they? Last night I came across a restored H.H. Scott LC-21 preamp in very good condition for $350 Buy It Now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3007755580&category=14974

I was doing some research on it on the web, and when I got back to the auction, some lucky devil beat me to it and bought it from under me! 7.gif

I still don't know whether the preamp has 2 outputs for bi-amping (I need that feature for my 15" sub)...please tell me that it only has one output, then I won't feel so bad for not buying it! 15.gif

It only has one output but it also has a Mono center channel out that works perfectly to power a Sub. I bought a Scott 130 Preamp (LC-21 is the Kit version) which I'm waiting for which I hope to be my final preamp solution. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $600 to $1K for the newer offerings out there used with circuit board and the like. I guess I'm just a hopeless vintage Hi Fi guy !

Craig

Preamps are one thing in which I personally seem to prefer modern over vintage. I think the good modern quality tube preamp tends to do a better job at combining transparency and musicality. Much of this has to do with better wiring, less pots and switches, and better parts. The transformers in the vintage tube amps tended to weigh the pendulum in their favor, however.

kh

What's the opinion on Stromberg Carlson? I've seen a few of them going fairly cheaply on ebay lately and have been considering them as my poor man's way to get into tubes. I know, I might be better off to wait and save money to get a really good amp (I'm currently thinking about saving up for a decent set of monoblocks, like the Bottleheads), but if I hear that one of these things is a good buy, I may look into them and save money up for a nice sounding turntable. BTW, I'm currently powering my system with a 70s model Onkyo TX-1500. Sure, it's not great, but it's 17 watts of power that will get these heresies blasting me out of my room if I crank it up. Thanks for any help!

Gentlemen, what are your thoughts on some newer tube preamps from 1980 on, such as the Counterpoint SA-1000 and SA-2000, Cary Audio CAD-5500, Audible Illusions Modulus, conrad-johnson PV-1 thru PV-10, etc? If they're operational in very good original or restored condition, are they worth the $350 to $650+ price range? Are they compatiple with today's 24/96 HDCD CD/DVD/SACD players? Just curious...

Hmmm. Not sure what happens to some of these RTF posts. Think I'll switch to normal and try again.

>I don't understand why they don't jump on that Heathkit.

Vintage tube amps doesn't just stop at Eico and Scott.

Same reason folks (except me!) don't jump on vintage Frazier speakers.

Speaking of little know vintage amps. Anyone familiar with the Grommes "Little Jewel" 17 watt integrated? Sounded great with my Frazier Monte Carlos (which I still have). This was my first VT amp, and I pretty well used it up before getting a "new" Dyna SCA-35. After that, it was the SS and CD wasteland for 25 years before I figured out why I remembered those first systems so fondly.

Dave

Kelly,

Well you know me I'm a vintage man all the way and may learn the hard way with this preamp journey of mine. But one thing I can tell you I had a EICO HF-85 here for about a month and it was awesome. I did a slight mod for a board member and he was nice enough to let me keep it through the Mark III project. Toward the end I started messing with my PAS 3 and bypassed the Tone controls and installed a new Alps pot also in the process bypassed the Loudness switch. It helps the old PAS 3 out a good bit and was easy mods. I just didn't want to go any further with it. The Scott is all point to point and has a incredible reputation as being very open and transparent and the big seller for me was it has the infamous Scott Phono section. I wasn't overly disapointed in the HF-85 or PAS 3 phono section but something was missing compared to my Scott 299B so we will see if this way a mistake or not but I don't think it will be. The only negitive I have heard and really haven't investigated it yet is that it has some strange phase reversal circuit that I may have to get rid of to get all the neutrality and transparency out of it it is capable of.

gerbache,

I like it and think it a great value in a market where value is shrinking fast. If you can get in for $110 shipped what is there to loose you can always sell it if you don't like it in fact if you don't find one I may sell you this one for what I paid plus something to cover some updates and shipping or whatever. I really don;t need it and for the life of me don't know why I bought it !!

Craig