Vintage Cornwalls

Brand new member here, and appreciate all the info available to date.  The experts here are likely tired of the same old questions, but after looking over the forum I’ve not seen an exact example of my vintage Cornwallis, and would love to get some dependable info on manufacturing date range, available parts, upgrades, etc.  (Labels are not legible)  

These were originally part of my grandfather’s highly coveted McIntosh system from the late 60’s early 70’s, which was placed in storage for decades after his passing.  At this point, I have an opportunity to get the system out of the original boxes and determine what it will require to enjoy it once again - and reminisce/honor my grandfather’s love of quality audio.  Assume they will at least need new caps and woofers, but have not been able to check them out just yet.  Any info/suggestions would be great.  Only have limited photos thus far, so no interior configuration yet.  

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Looks like an F in the serial number, just look in numerous stickied threads in the forum to find what that correlates to as far as manufacturing year.

I also see what looks like C-WR-15.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Wuzzzer, and apologies for the redundant question.   

Looks like F = 1968 per Historical Reference date codes.  Also found ref to 1967 in stickies, but will confirm via woofer #’s.  

C-WR-15

No reference so far on the “WR” code, but will assume for now it meant “Walnut Raw”, and was finished after purchase.  
15 = indicates white/black coarse weave grill - but looks more like cane to me in photos.  Assume from early model notes grills are wrapped & stapled to motorboards.  Should be fun to replace. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by Jammer-JDW

13 hours ago, Jammer-JDW said:

Thanks Wuzzzer, and apologies for the redundant question.   

Looks like F = 1968 per Historical Reference date codes.  Also found ref to 1967 in stickies, but will confirm via woofer #’s.  

C-WR-15

No reference so far on the “WR” code, but will assume for now it meant “Walnut Raw”, and was finished after purchase.  
15 = indicates white/black coarse weave grill - but looks more like cane to me in photos.  Assume from early model notes grills are wrapped & stapled to motorboards.  Should be fun to replace. 

Thanks again. 

Actually in that era 15 on the tag just meant it had a 15” woofer.  

The 15 does stand for a 15" woofer.  Early on a few were built with 12" woofers.  Without reviewing 100's of pages of records in detail, it appear at first glance that none were done after about 1963.  I've never seen one.

Grill Cloth 700000b 001.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight and help deciphering these Cornwalls.  Great to see a strong following and such detailed info still exists.   They will be my first set other than a Klipsch surround setup on my PC.  I also noticed from the grill fading these are vertical configuration, and have been reading up on their origin as a center speaker that later sold in stereo pairs due to market demand.  Not sure I’ll have room to lay them on their side, or if it will even be that noticeable to my well worn ears.  Either way, after decades in storage they will be a project to refurbish for sure.  

• Like 1

Look at the edge plys on the back for the serial number stamped into the cabinets. 

Listen to them for a while, before changing anything.  I had one late '60s H700 (a '67 and a '68, I think) that needed new capicitors because it sounded a little dull and recessed and another one that did not.  If you have no rubbing, buzzing, or ringing from any driver, they are good and need only to play music until they can't. 

On 4/28/2024 at 11:50 PM, Jammer-JDW said:

Brand new member here, and appreciate all the info available to date.  The experts here are likely tired of the same old questions, but after looking over the forum I’ve not seen an exact example of my vintage Cornwallis, and would love to get some dependable info on manufacturing date range, available parts, upgrades, etc.  (Labels are not legible)  

These were originally part of my grandfather’s highly coveted McIntosh system from the late 60’s early 70’s, which was placed in storage for decades after his passing.  At this point, I have an opportunity to get the system out of the original boxes and determine what it will require to enjoy it once again - and reminisce/honor my grandfather’s love of quality audio.  Assume they will at least need new caps and woofers, but have not been able to check them out just yet.  Any info/suggestions would be great.  Only have limited photos thus far, so no interior configuration yet.  

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

@Jammer-JDW  The walnut looks dry, from the appearance in your pictures. You might want to apply some Boiled Linseed Oil or similar treatment.

I would like to join or have access to the forum.

I worked in an electronics store in '70's and we sold Klipsch. Mr. K. flew in to our city and visited us. An unforgettable fellow.

One of my sisters has a pr. of Belle Klipsch. I installed a custom pr. of K Horns in a condo in Panama City, Fl. Very custom made because they were white--to fit his decor.

My next door neighbor Dan Bynum was an engineer @ Klipsch in 70's (E E Degree) Dan recently died @ 71.

regards

Harold

• Moderators
10 hours ago, old radioman said:

I would like to join or have access to the forum.

I worked in an electronics store in '70's and we sold Klipsch. Mr. K. flew in to our city and visited us. An unforgettable fellow.

One of my sisters has a pr. of Belle Klipsch. I installed a custom pr. of K Horns in a condo in Panama City, Fl. Very custom made because they were white--to fit his decor.

My next door neighbor Dan Bynum was an engineer @ Klipsch in 70's (E E Degree) Dan recently died @ 71.

regards

Harold

Can’t wait to hear some more information about this. Welcome to the Forum.