Besides audio/HT, what other "fine" things do you like in your life?

kenratboy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/20/2003 11:14:30 PM j-malotky wrote:

Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...

Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...

Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...Flying...

Then more Flying.... LOOPS, ROLLS, HAMERHEADS, AVALANCHES, HUMPTY BUMPS, and don't forget engine torqueing.

Lifes all good when your flipping around in the sky.

JM

----------------

lol... you're insane.

my parents want to go to florida. i refuse, not only because the weather there would make me sick, but also beacuse i REFUSE to fly.

not natural.

To each their own. Gibson is the King of Sustain; of course, everyone who owns or records music with one could be wrong.

I can't find a decent acoustic/electric for $450. Maybe you have some suggestions? I am looking at Takamine. It must be a thin-body. It must have good electronics. It must play well both amplified and unamplified. It must be constructed of nice woods and have good bracing.

i have no knowledge of acoustics or acoustic/eletrics.

Gibsons are nice, dont get me wrong.

but ya just cant beat a start for versatility, those dirty blusey tones, and you can just bite into a strat. i'm gonna prolly put in a Semour Duncan Hot Rails at my bridge, so i can get some nastier tones when i need um.

right now i have SSS config with all vintage voiced pickups, but i'm a very versitile player, and need to be able to get some in your face kina sounds, and i'd like some stronger harmoics/feedback. its tricky to get a SSS vintage strat to wail and scream *chuckle*

i wonder what kind of pickups Hendrix used... and i should get a Texas Special in my neck... hmmmmmm *schemes*

I have two "strats" both by Ibanez in a SSD configuration. One is a hot rod with a Floyd Rose locking setup, the other is more of an entry level guitar purchased for my son with the old-style Fender tremolo - it seriously needs some hotter pickups although it does produce a very nice clean sound. For some things I prefer it to my rig. They are fed through a Zoom effects board and/or some vintage Ibanez pedals to a variety of amps including Marshall, Peavey, and Fender.

Kid wants an Epiphone Les Paul now while I am eager to grab the 68 Gibson after securing the Takamine a/e.

i'd really appreciate any insight you could give me on marshall products.

like i said, i'm considering a major purchase this summer.

prolly a half stack with a DSL100 or DSL50 and the cheapest 4x12

i dont like ibanez's very much. then again, Satriani played one so cant be half bad 3.gif

I don't know much about the stacks although I would like to have on for playing around with. We have one of the MG series and they have a very good sound, very tube like, but I find the bass to be a little lacking when compared to the Fender. Of course, I can't stand the overall tone of the Fender when compared to the Marshall. My solution is to feed both a signal and let the Fender do the bass reinforcement. YMMV.

The hot-rodded Ibanez is from around the time Satriani burst on the scene and Ibanez employed his services. I dunno - somewhere around 85 or 86. The other is relatively new.

PS. I would probably opt to get the larger Marshall head and build my own speaker cab. Cheaper and then able to 'tune' the sound.

i thought for the hell of it i'd post some little recordings of myself.

they're all made late at night, so i have NO tempo whatsoever... dont make fun of my 2:00AM tempo >=)

alright lets see...

these two are just me playing fast and sloppy

http://www.geocities.com/stevieraydude/guitar.wav

http://www.geocities.com/stevieraydude/manylicks.wav

---------

this first clip is a little riff from "Bad Horsie" by Steve Vai

http://www.geocities.com/stevieraydude/demoguitar.wav

you'll hear my tempo go way off in that one.

and heres me doing a little improv over "December" by Collective Souls

http://www.geocities.com/stevieraydude/decemberjam.wav

again, very sloppy and doesnt sound great but it was late at night. i completely loose it at the end, dont even bother listening *Cringe*

--------------

heres 2 clips saluting my mom. who always picks the worst times to harass me. i get a really good sounding recording going... and.. you'll hear

http://www.geocities.com/stevieraydude/wahfunk.wav

^that groove was sounding GOOOOD and she ruined it >=(^

Voodoo Child, when my buddy pat decides to call.

http://www.geocities.com/stevieraydude/patcallsvodoo.wav

anyway i know i dont sound great but i try and have fun

1.gif

Currently saving serious money to buy a 2003-4 Acura 3.2TL Type-S. Diamond White with Parchment interior. Opted out of having the Navigation system because it encompasses some of the HVAC controls (besides, it's a $2k option!).

If I get an '03 new on the lot late this year it'll probably be Satin Silver Metallic with black interior. Why? Because that's all they have left on the lot.

Did I mention a serious down payment?? How about $20,000? With the amount I make that's not a bad savings over two years (not including the sale of the current car).

After all that I want to be able to work on it myself after the warranty runs out.

Other than that it's competition handgun shooting and modifying the guns myself. My first serious attempt at an IPSC Class C weapon that still shot in Major catagory was a Colt Gold Cup (45ACP) Series 80 converted to a Series 70. Heine master grade bbl. & compensator (dual port), Videki trigger, Smith & Alexander flat mainspring housing and magazine well, Wolf springs, Hogue smooth Pau Ferro grips, Millett dual crimp orange front sight with Series 100 white outline rear sight, four finger main spring, Wilson extended safety and slide release (grips modified to clear extension), S&A reduced power magazine release with oversized button, Wilson 47DE 8-round magazines, Dura-Chrome plating on everything, compensator milled to clear two-piece rod guide, S&A recoil buffers and a Safariland 008 comp holster. Every internal part polished with trigger set to 2.25lbs. And bearly makes the maximum weight limit (43.78 oz.).Sorry so long....Cost of that one with me doing 90% of the work, $2,000 in 1990.

Fini - What's the going rate on those things now?

How about a jet, a 100+ foot Feadship yacht, the new Mercedes Benz Maybach, a 25,000 square foot home on a river or lake, a home theater room designed around 8 Klipsch Jubilee's, styling your parents, a month in the Caribbean every year, a month in the Rockies every year, a month in Europe every year, homeschooling your kids with private tutors!

Just a thought...

----------------

On 2/21/2003 10:44:26 AM dougdrake wrote:

Fini - What's the going rate on those things now?

----------------

25 cents each, at most garage sales!

Oh, for got the brown paper packages tied up with string (goes without saying, though, eh guys? Woo-Hoo!).

fini

Thought I wanted to fly and to own my own plane. Took lessons, got private pilot license, quickly realized I have no business flying airplanes. See, I tend to push myself when behind the wheel (car, boat, plane or bike.) I have survived a couple of events that should have killed me in a car (endoed my 1985 Mustang GT at 80+ mph on a backwoods dirt road; missed an antelope by about 10 inches at 130+ mph in a Toyota Supra Turbo in just outside of Del Norte, Colorado; got a ticket for going through a radar trap at 119 mph on Route 8 in Connecticut just north of Bridgeport in a Subaru SVX). I found myself starting to do the same thing in a plane (Gee, let's see how many G's we can pull before we go into an accelerated stall in this little Cessna...) Decided I like living more than I miss flying.

Thought I wanted a motorcycle. Bought a used Yamaha Virago 250. Took lessons, got motorcycle license, quickly realized I have no business riding a bike. See above. Sold bike.

Have a friend with a boat. This is much better than actually owning a boat. So far have sheered off two lower units running over submerged water soaked logs while waterskiing in Lake Lillinonah.

Love fishing. Wedding present from father in law was old Orvis fly rod, pre-Battenkill series, marked Orvis Impregnated Bamboo - Patent Pending. Nice gesture, but to be honest, modern graphite rods have it all over this thing.

Avid astronomer - currently using 8 inch Dob I built, long for Televue scope. Only thing more expensive than feeding the Audio habit is feeding the Astronomy habit. Newest Nagler's go for over 600$ a pop...

Mmmm, telescopes. Reno has a SICK astronomy club. Someone has a portable (~15' long poles to go up to the eye piece!!!) 30" Dobsonian refelctor. That thing is AWSOME. It is the biggest portable telescope on the West Coast, takes a big van and 2+ people a few hours to set it up. Any wind? Forget it. All homebuilt, obviously Plenty of 10 and 12=inch Meade's at the club, so you can play with those too.

I like guns...they don't have to be "fine" just as long as they are accurate and function well. Most of my former pretty nice collection are no longer with me...sure wish I still had em though. Had a nice Springield Armory National Match M1911A1 .45 model I carried up to Berryville and had Wilson's shop do some things to...beavertail grip safety, extended ambidextrous thumb safety, lightweight commander style hammer, polished and adjusted firing pin, extended slide release, extended oversized knurled magazine release, match competition barrel and bushing, full-length solid recoil-spring guide-rod, three-dot low profile SOLID front and rear sights, trigger job with Plaxco trigger(Videcki not long enough body for me), heavy recoil springs(dual)w/shock-buffs. I could crossload a magazine with military ball, truncated cone hollow points, wad-cutters and standard round-nosed hollow points, and knock the black completely out of a standard .22 cal. rifle target at 50 yards with that thing...helluva custom carry gun...no creep, crisp LIGHT let-off..simply amazing!! My ex had never fired one before...just little .22 pistols...we were with some friends shooting one day...using wadcutters...target was at 30 yards...was an old iron flywheel laying up against a piece of old plywood on a pond berm...I just told her to line up the dots, center dot right on center hole of flywheel and gently squeeze...she slowly emptied the mag...other people laughed because no lead was smacking the flywheel. We walked up to the flywheel...not a mark on it...but within the 2-1/2" hole in center of flywheel all the wood was gone from the plywood behind the flywheel. She couldn't believe it...neither could the rest of them there...she said "I want one of THESE!!" LOL! I said..."Let me know when you have $2,000 saved up, and we will run up to Berryville with another S/A N/M 45, a Plaxco trigger, and a bottle of Wild Turkey...because if you don't take the Turkey with you, then the main gunsmith won't be moving you to the top of the waiting list!! And you will be waiting around a year for your gun!!" LOL!

My favorite rifles are military rifles...love 6.5 x 55mm M1896 or M1938 Swede Mausers(Gustaf or Husky are OK by me!), 7x57mm M98 or Kar-98 military Mausers(Chilean-issue are nice), FN-49 semi-autos in either 7x57mm or 30-06 (7.92x57mm is ok, too!), M1-Garand, M1903A1 Springfield(w/C-type stock), Swiss Model 1911 Schmidt-Rubin(7.5mm Swiss), etc. But favorite hunting rifle was always 1977-made pre-warning Ruger M-77RS in .300 winmag....I prefer the "shotgun-type" thumb-safety on these because they are much better for hunting in deep woods...never pulled the trigger on that thing and didn't have a deer on the ground immediately...heart shot everytime...open sights! Gotta love a hunting rifle that always does the job! 2.gif

After the first deer season I used it, the locals knew the sound of it. I would show up at the little "country store" deer-check station (about 5 miles as the crow flies from where I hunt) with my deer...the folks there would always say: "We were wondering how long it would be before you showed-up with your deer...seems like every time we hear that damned cannon of yours go off in the bottoms you show up here with a deer that has a hole through its heart!" LOL! It even got to a point where they were betting each other on my arrival time there! LOL! I sighted that rifle in with Remington Core-lockt 150 grain for open sights and 180 grain for the scope the year I bought it. Never changed a thing on it. I hunted with it for over 20 years. Everytime I pulled the trigger, I had a deer to drag out of the woods!