Class project

Invidiosulus

This is just a project I did for the cg class I'm in.

As someone who hopes to one day be a well to do graphic designer please let me know what you think.

I have already turned this in to be graded but I can resubmit if I feel the need to change something 1.gif

This was done entirely inside of Adobe Illustrator 10, I used a photo for refference but the finished layout contains only original vector art by myself.

btw, these things do sound pretty good for music on the go.

Peace, Josh

post-10623-1381924656295_thumb.jpg

What where the requirements for the project? Were there specifics on how much blank space you needed where there was no graphic or text? Or was it a free for all? If you were able to add text, it may have been a good idea to add some features about the player, perhaps some specifications to help fill the empty space on your advertisement. But again, I have no idea what the requirements were...

Though I personally don't care for the color scheme (not much into brown and mustard colors), the colors you chose work very well together.

I definitly like the image of the player and the tilted angle, that looks very good.

Anyway, you asked, I gave. 1.gif

It looks hella fine, but the big "SONY" in the top corner doesn't quite look right. I know it is VERY VERY VERY difficult to copy (without a font or image to use), because I had to do that with a companies logo and spent like 12 hours working on it 7.gif

Other than the SONY, it looks great, like something Sony would actually do for their web site!!!

Keep it up, that is a job that is growing in demand!!!

I can appreciate that part of the project is to make the computer draw an image.

You have done that.

The color choice is very wrong. The use of browns and yellows are too reminiscent of organic waste. Blues and greens are the color I choose, to quote the song. They are happy and peaceful.

I'm a child of the '60s where we were very sensitive to hype. Is this little gadget going to make my life better? The graphic artist can't dispell this suspicion.

None the less, this gadget is going to have to be sold with images of happy people doing happy things. E.g. my girl friend and I are sitting in a happy color, listening to "our" song. But that is too obvious.

You might work in some some low level romantic conflict. Her finger is on button "one" while his is on button "two". That is to say we agree on the gadget as being a souce of music, though then, there is some playful, or serious, conflict. That could sell.

Give me credit, in the form of money, should you sell it to an ad agency.

Gil

First off I.A.N.A.P.D (I am not actually a professional designer)

However...

I respectfully disagree, I think the color choice is great.

Earth tones are very in, and subtely I think the choice of earth tones for an electronics device is very good for some markets. It suggests a more natural, non-electronic feel for the product. This could do well in magazines where the readers are not overly technical, (ie. scared of very complex modern gadgets) On the other hand, the font is very rounded, giving it a more up-to-date modern feel. I think the juxtaposition of the two concepts really gives it a middle of the road quality that appeals to the extremes of both groups (the technogadget loving geeks, and the people who afraid of the complexities of modern electronics)

The overall package has a pretty nice design, reminds me a lot of work by the designers republic, http://www.thedesignersrepublic.com/ , one of my favorite graphic artist groups.

These guys got their start doing all the design for the british band Pop Will Eat Itself, excellent album covers and inserts. They've since gone on to doing a lot of popular design, swatch watches, sony, supergrass, etc. If you're into graphic arts, they are a definite "must see" (especially their old pop will eat itself lp covers :) )

-mkl

Thanks for all the comments.

The open space was intentional, I tried the design with a larger logo at the top as well as larger text up top, all in all though the extra weight at the top took away some of the visual emphasis of the player itself.

The logo was deliberately different from the actual sony logo as per project requirements(We have to do a new Logo for every project, even if it's not that much different), as far as being able to copy a logo from an image(we have digital cameras and scanners in lab) that's the easy part, the walkman/netMD/minidisc logos were drawn with the pen tool.

The color scheme was kinda intended to provide a retro feel, another guy in my class did a blue mini disc player with blue tones for the background and it had a much more techno/corporate feel.

About the romantic interest, a very good point indeed. However one I felt not entirely necessary for the marketing angle I was taking.

btw, it took me long enough to draw the player, I'm not ready to draw people just yet9.gif Also if you could see two people pushing buttons on the player and see the joyful bliss on their faces I think the camera angle would require the player to appear rather small.

Once again thanks for the constructive criticism. Even the things I would tend to disagree with I shall note for future refference.

Peace, Josh

Now if only you could learn proper HTML for showing off graphics :) hehe.

mini_disc_net_md.jpg

I like it, I think you are going the right way. All the translucent blue, grassy green and sunny orange companies went to the bucket with the .com crash... maybe this will last :)

of course... i do like the translucent blues and whatnot, like the site i just finished a few weeks ago, www.expochem.com

Justin,

The web site design you did looks nice. It loads pretty quickly. SOmething dial up folk can like. Some sitesa re pokey even when using broadband. I tend to like the les is more design philosophy.

Marvel

Gil,

I at first thought the colors were kinda pukey, but he is my son. I'm just impressed with the drawing of the player itself. This is a good sign that the money for this education will pay off someday.2.gif

So what do you think of some of the color schemes that Klipsch has had for their web page?

Marvel

----------------

On 2/22/2003 9:08:17 PM Marvel wrote:

Gil,

I at first thought the colors were kinda pukey, but he is my son. I'm just impressed with the drawing of the player itself. This is a good sign that the money for this education will pay off someday.
2.gif

So what do you think of some of the color schemes that Klipsch has had for their web page?

Marvel

----------------

Marvel, your son is invido?

thanks for the site comments. less is more in some cases.

Justin,

Yep, marvel is my dad.

It's his fault I'm interested in speakers and such, but that's a good thing.3.gif

He doesn't have any klipsch yet, but he does have some nice JBL's.

Btw, I think the expochem site is really nice. It's very easy on the eyes yet retains a sense of detail and visual interest, and on my DSL it is very fast2.gif

Next month I have a class called Fundamentals of Web Design so I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of html code crammed into my brain.

Peace, Josh

another idea for a netMD campaign.

it is called the NetMD from that you go to teh computer where youg et the music which is connected to the internet which is where it is likely you got your music (though sony promotes this in a sense they are fighting it in their publishing co.) which leads you to the world (as in www). so instead of having the entire net in a more convienent package... you have "the whole world, in your hand". needs a lot of work but you have a world of music in your hand...