You may ban me if you must, buying new speaker:

kenratboy

Well, you may ban me if you must, but I am in the process of buying a matching (as in, same series, voiced matched) center channel speaker for my HT. It uses the same drivers and is the same sensitivity, so it just makes more sence then buying a Klipsch that has nothing in common with the JBL's. I think the front three should match.

I have negotiated a price and if all goes well, will be in the mail be weeks end.

Mark my words: I WILL get Klipsch, maybe not today, but I will get them. When I do get them, they will be nice.

Well, one step closer to a real HT. Once I need to stop buying the bare essentials for a HT, I can start saving for some nice Reference Series Klipsch for the system.

Oh well, Klipsch or not, I will have a HT soon.

That's it you're FIRED.

JK3.gif

JBL makes some nice stuff.

Having some JBL speakers is not as odd as maxg preferring his Sansui over his heresy(he has since changed his mind).

I had my klipsch center channel between my JBL L46 and it was noticably brighter and more in your face then the JBL.

Now of course I have my heresies and it's a better match although not perfect.

Peace, Josh

Kenratboy,

to me is doesn't matter if you have JBL, Klipsch, or even 'yes' Bose.

Unlike other HT forums it seems the Klipsch forum is all about sharing experiences and knowledge, even about 350 engines.

Over the next 6 months there will be a slew of new members talking about synergy's, as they move into best buy, and the new Reference 3's and bookshelfs. There is going to be an awful lot of new info/experiences with the new lineup.

Stick around share your experiences with JBL with us. Heck you never know, JBL might be your speaker.

Scott

Actually, I really meant what I said about owning Klipsch.

I need to buy a car, and I am not going to blow a couple G's on speakers. I figure, after I buy my car and get settled financially, I will first buy the biggest (RF-35's with dual 8"'s) of the new Reference Series floorstanders, so probably before the end of the year, maybe by the end of summer even! Then, I will probably need to buy a new receiver, as my Sony isn't exactly the best thing to drive expensive speakers. After that, center and surrounds.

But really, soon, after I buy my car, I will buy some Klipsch. Right now just isn't the time 8.gif - I love Klipsch and I know I will have some in the (closer everyday I have a job and get paychecks) not-so-distant-future.

I just need to get some decent speakers to hold me over.

I have a few "hopeful" jobs lined up that would pay TRIPLE my current salary, and that could potentially let my get a Denon AVR-3803 and some Reference floorstanders in a few months.

this is from a discussion on another forum...they were discussing jbl vs boston acoustics....it is such a detailed response that i am presenting it here....

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JBL of the past was really impressive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, since the introduction of JBL N- & S-Series, they have come back with the goal to makes professional studio-quality sound available to movie enthusiasts and music lovers everywhere! The following Subjective & Objective Reviews seem to agree with JBL goals ...

Besides the two JBL S38 Reviews I listed above ...

1) January 2000 Sound&Vision Mag.- Daniel Kumin - JBL S38 Speaker Review

2) June 2001 Stereophile - Robert J. Reina - JBL S38 Speaker Review

... here's a few more, first from their JBL S-Series ...

May 20, 2000 - Home Theater Mag. - Clint Walker "Studio Series" S-Center/S26 Spkr Pkg

quote:

...the JBL system measured very flat in the lab; in fact, it had the flattest response of any ensemble in the roundup. . . . The JBL Studio ensemble offers excellent bang for the buck for those who are looking to get their feet wet in home theater.

May 20, 2000 - Home Theater Mag. Objective Benchmark reveals why Clint wrote "JBL Studio ensemble offers excellent bang for the buck"...

quote:

This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the Studio series' S26 mains/surrounds ...

On-axis response of the S26 L/R measures +1.7/-1.4 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 48 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 43 Hz.

On-axis response of the S-Center center measures +2.7/-2.0 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 76 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 60 Hz.

The above Objective Benchmark helps explain why audio journalists chose the JBL S26 over the Boston Acoustics CR8 & D&B DM601 in a "Blind Test" Session @ Harman built a blind-testing room called the Multichannel Listening Lab (MLL).

Jul 1, 2001 - Scott Wilkinson - "OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY" - Electronic Musician

quote:

During a recent visit with several other audio journalists, I participated in a sample test (blind test) run in the MLL, which was conducted by Sean Olive, manager of subjective evaluation for Harman International. Three consumer speakers were mounted behind the grille cloth: a Boston Acoustics CR8, a B&W DM601, and a JBL S26. At the end of the testing, we learned that most of us had ranked the JBL S26 as the best speaker on most clips, which certainly pleased our hosts.

The JBL N-Series bargain lineup also fared well when reviewed by these different Speaker Reviewers ...

April 11, 2000 - Brent Butterworth for etown JBL N24 bookshelf

quote:

There's a popular misconception that the more expensive speakers in a line sound better than the inexpensive ones. . . . To my shock and delight, the speaker with the best midrange was the humble little N24.

Performance:

For a speaker of its size and price, I can't find anything that the N24 really does wrong. But here's what amazes me about it. First is the bass, which sounds surprisingly full for such a small speaker . . . -- unlike the SuperZero XU or the ProMonitor 80, this speaker is very easy to match up with practically any subwoofer.

. . .When you get a listen to the mids, though, you'll forget how good the bass is. I think the midrange of this speaker may be the cleanest I've heard at $200/pair. . .

Every singer I listened to sounded better even than on a lot of good $1000/pair speakers.

The JBL's titanium-laminate tweeter is definitely doing something very right, though, because the JBLs out-imaged any other mini I've used in a wall-mount configuration.

Jul/Aug 2000 Sound&Vision Mag. - Tom Nousaine JBL N24AW Outdoor Speaker Review

quote:

Now this is a hi-fi speaker - and the N24AW looks as good as it sounds.

The sound was superb . . . Spectral balance was nearly identical to my reference speakers in almost every way except for the bass. Imaging was excellent. Sounds were spread evenly between the speakers and actually spread out beyond them. Ambience reproduction was also excellent in both distribution and spectral content.

The JBL, . . . speakers are so good that I'd recommend them for any stereo or home theater application, indoors or out. Its $250-a-pair price makes the JBL N24AW a special value.

Amazon.com Editorial Review by Wayne Garcia NSP1 Speaker Package

quote:

As for the NSP1 system's sound, starting with music only, the first thing you'll notice is that it produces surprisingly full audio. Jazz CDs sound rich and clear, . . . Trumpets and saxophones come through with terrific, brassy texture and bite, . . . Vocals are uniformly good--articulate, focused, and well balanced. With orchestral music, the N24s throw a relatively wide soundstage, with more than a hint of depth (that is, of the sonic space extending beyond the speakers).

With DVD-videos, vocal clarity is enhanced by the N-Center, which does a great job of routing the dialogue to the screen. Considering its small size, the complete NSP1 system exhibits very good dynamics, and JBL's close attention to driver matching yields a seamless transition from speaker to speaker, creating a wonderfully complete sonic environment.

To say that JBL has a good reputation in the pro-audio world is an understatement. A staggering 70 percent of the world's theaters, concert halls, and recording studios are equipped with JBL speakers. With the NSP1, JBL brings that experience home at a very attractive price. Minor complaints aside, the NSP1 is a sweet little home-theater speaker package.

August 3, 2000 - Brent Butterworth for etown JBL NSP1 speaker system

quote:

Look & Feel: This system certainly ranks a notch above most of what's available at this price.

Performance: I've already made detailed performance comments in my reviews of the N24 and N-Center. All I'll say here is that these speakers work together perfectly as an ensemble. The timbre matching is as good as any I've heard; that is, outside of systems that consist of five identical speakers.

The N-Center matches the sound of the N24 extremely well, better than Home Theater Direct's Level Three center matches the sound of its Level Three bookshelf. That excellent timbre matching lends coherence to the sound of the entire system, making movies seem more like I was hearing them in a real theater, not a home theater. As such, I highly recommend the NSP1 home cinema package to anyone looking to get into home theater without emptying his or her bank account in the process.

JAN 2001 Sound&Vision Mag. - Daniel Kumin JBL NSP1 & PB10 Review

quote:

- Tonal balance The balance of the front L/R N24 speakers was pleasingly natural with stereo music, . . .Both male and female voices sounded excellent, evenly balanced. . .

- Subwoofer/satellite blending. This was very good - close to excellent.

- Surround imaging and clarity The JBL N24/N-Center combo produced a solid front soundstage. The cohesiveness of discrete sounds moving from left to right or right to left was above average, . . .The N-Center speaker kept good, solid male voices fixed onscreen, . . .The N24s worked well in the surround locations.

- Dynamic potential. The sound was solid up to a loud volume - the satellites 4-inch (nominally 5-inch) woofers and slightly larger cabinet give them a dynamic edge over most micro satellites with 3-inch drivers - . . ." (NOTE: The Energy Take 5 has 3-inch drivers)

- WRAP-UP This JBL system's value for the money is obvious. Getting such well-balanced sound, with notable bass extension and no salient vices, from a package priced just under $900 is impressive.

JAN 2001 Sound&Vision Mag. Objective Benchmark by Tom Nousaine shows why the subjective reviews were great:

Frequency Response

N-24 front left/right... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB (Averaged over a ±30° window, with double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30°)

N-Center................ 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB (Averaged over ±45°, with double weight directly on-axis,)

N-24 surround........... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB (Averaged over a ±60° window, with double weight given to the most common listening angle, 60°)

So, with accolades consisting with ""Timbre matching; sound was superb; Imaging was excellent; smooth, uniform response; rich and clear; pleasingly natural with stereo music; articulate, focused, and well balanced.", ... it seems JBL experience in the Pro Studio & High End world paid dividends when they created the JBL N- & S-Series! Based on the above, you can say they accomplished their goal to (quote from Greg Timbers, JBL Chief Development Engineer) ...

quote:

"...utilize many of the same leading-edge testing and design technologies included in our Professional Series LSR Linear Spatial Reference studio monitors, and allow home listeners to enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros."

Awards: JBL's Studio Series S38 & S412P loudspeakers - CEA Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Award Winner

----------------

On 2/23/2003 8:25:21 PM prodj101 wrote:

instead of holding back on the klipsch speakers, I would get the klipsch now, and slowly integrate them into your system. all together it will be faster, and cheaper. besides, I don't think the matching will be that much of a problem. just my oppinion.
----------------

DJ: The big thing is sensitivity. My JBL's are rated at 88 dB. 1 watt/1 meter and most of the klipsch is 6, 8, 10 dB. above that. I think that would pose major problems.

Also, I really do like my JBL's, they sound great! Seriously, I bought them over....................................some Klipsch Synergy 6.gif Anyway, I feel the front three should match. I will have to live with these things for probably 6 months to a year. I will get new Klipsch Reference gear after I buy my car (much higher priority than speakers 6.gif ) and then I will be settled in.

Yeah, JBL loudspeakers aren't bad sounding (look how many concerts, theaters, sound studios, etc. use 'em). You could've picked alot worse!14.gif

My very first high-end loudspeaker purchase were a pair of JBL L112 Century II bookshelf monitors back in '83. These monitors were huge, solid, real walnut veneered 3-way's with 12" woofers, and could easily handle 300 watts! Not nearly as efficient as Klipsch (86dB @ 1W/1M), they rocked the house nonetheless.

These 20 year old monitors are now used in my brother's HT setup...His mains are my old Magnepans MGLR1 planars, and both JBLs wired in parallel for his center channel. Believe it or not, the JBLs timbre and dynamics match up very well to the sonic characteristics of the Maggies; it's almost a seamless blend between the two. For DVDs, it's quite unbelievable how well they sound together, and it says alot about my ol' JBL monitors!

Enjoy your JBL loudspeakers!2.gif

I have listened to the JBL Studio series and to be honost, I really like them. I usually play with them everytime I go into the local Best Buy. They are by far the best sounding speakers they got in the place. Will be interesting to see how they match up with the Klipsch Synergy series. The JBL will certainly give the Klipsch a run for the money. Almost tempting to get a set for a PC based gaming sound system, especially if more games comes out that uses true DD or DTS 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound.

but better to come. KLIPSCH soon!*****

****end quote*******

maybe not, ...bb where good audio goes to die....

when the mass merchants become 65+ % of a mnfgrs buisness , as best buy will certainly be, they begin to dictate terms . They say "gee, we don't think that your models x and y fit into our price structure ; so either figure out how to make them cost us $40 and $60 less or we can't carry them"....The Klipsch guys (like polk in a similar situation) grab their ankles and say "yes sir, great idea sir!"...and thus goes quality audio...... 15.gif

****end quote*******

when the mass merchants become 65+ % of a mnfgrs buisness , as best buy will certainly be, they begin to dictate terms . They say "gee, we don't think that your models x and y fit into our price structure ; so either figure out how to make them cost us $40 and $60 less or we can't carry them"....The Klipsch guys (like polk in a similar situation) grab their ankles and say "yes sir, great idea sir!"...and thus goes quality audio...... 15.gif

Klipsch takes its leadership role as the number one supplier of high-performance loudspeakers seriously. The sale of audio separates has been declining at 15-20% per year for the last three years. The primary reasons are that times have changed, people have changed and consumer desires have changed. Most specialty manufacturers have remained focused on limited distribution, with little regard to the environment in which many consumers want to buy products. We feel an obligation to try and bring the experience of better audio to a larger audience. As a market leader, we refuse to sit by idly as the market continues to shrink.

Klipsch firmly believes our state-of-the-art, high-performance products must always be represented by our highly trained and knowledgeable specialty retailers. We also believe that many consumers in many markets have never had the specialty retail experience, nor are they familiar with what it is. For 2-1/2 years, we have successfully executed our Klipsch ProMedia strategy through Best Buyconnecting with an entirely new customer, giving them their first step-up audio experience with a true high-end audio company in the multimedia space, and educating them on the advantages of our high-performance home loudspeakers, only available through our specialty retail partners.

As many specialty retailers migrate toward custom installation, Best Buy is filling the lower mid-fi void in an environment where many highly educated, high-end consumers want to buy. Best Buy will do a great job representing our Synergy Series, enlightening significantly more people to the experience of high performance audio. The natural evolution will be converting many of our best Synergy customers to the ultimate in high-performance loudspeakersthe Reference Series.

Paul Klipsch brought the Heresy (non-fully horn-loaded speakers) to market because times had changed, people had changed and consumer desires had changed. He too wanted to reach out and expose more people to the passion of high performance audio.

With regard to the new Reference speakers, Klipschs top 25 retailers have been in Indianapolis over the last 3 weeks and their unanimous opinion is they are the best sounding line of speakers Klipsch has ever produced. You dont have to take my word for it, but I encourage you to audition the products when they hit the stores in May. Ive been with Klipsch for over 11 years and I think these new Reference products are the finest products weve ever taken to market.

****end quote*******

when the mass merchants become 65+ % of a mnfgrs buisness , as best buy will certainly be, they begin to dictate terms . They say "gee, we don't think that your models x and y fit into our price structure ; so either figure out how to make them cost us $40 and $60 less or we can't carry them"....The Klipsch guys (like polk in a similar situation) grab their ankles and say "yes sir, great idea sir!"...and thus goes quality audio......

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Gee, I think I am required to post a "cut and paste" response to this as well,

Is there anyone else on this board who thinks that going into best buy is a move in the right direction in so far as quality is concerned?

8.gif15.gif15.gif

refseller,

question: does best buy dictate to jbl what their pro lines should be??? is jbl changing their synthesis line to accomodate best buy????

not in a million years....even if best buy made "demands" concerning the synergy series, how would that affect the reference and heritage lines???

what is the best selling speaker brand out there?? bose...because they are sold at best buy and similar stores....you want klipsch to be a household name...then sell it at best buy.....

and i'd bet quite a bit of money that more than a few people will hear klipsch at best buy and want even more and then search out the reference line and buy it!!!

your logic is very faulted.....

russ