What�s your guilty pleasure?

Colin

And you have been playing longer... 2.gif Did you start in6th or 5th grade? Here they start us in 6th... and they really don't motivate us at all. So I really only started playing seriously my sophomore year after I saw the DCI competition. I am working on range extenders, though. 9.gif

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I have a few years :) I have been playing since 6th grade as well, motivation? how about a lack there of. my motivation was beating my friend James Brown (not the singer, my best friend haha, though he does sing...)

Check out http://www.trumpetplayeronline.com/, I have been going there since... wow a long time. How is that monette mouthpeice working out for you?

just bought like 4 MF cd's on amazon.com...... BETTER BE GOOD! LoL!

I didn't like my band teacher in middle school... so a lack of motivation resulted. As bad as this may sound, I really didn't have to practice a lot to still be better than the other people there... apparently my class of trumpet players wasn't great. lol I generally sat first chair... except that the director didn't like me so she took every chance to move me down a few chairs.

Then in HS, my motivation was to be better, especially after seeing DCI.

The Monette is great. 9.gif A bit odd at times, though. I guess I haven't fully adapted to the Monette playing style. The mouthpiece is comfortable and can be bright or dark. Good enough for me. 1.gif Need a new horn though... mine is old and not really that great.

hey all you trumpet players!!!...i was playing maynard tunes probably before you were born!!!...i have about 35 of his albums/cds...

trumpet humor:

question:how many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

answer: 17...one to do it and 16 to say "i could've done it better."

by the way...what kind of horns are you guys playing? i've got a bach strad customized with a larger bore leadpipe and converted to a tunable bell.

russ

Wow... I envy you. And Justin. lol You guys all have nice horns and I am stuck with the piece of crap I play on...

Mine is a Bach TR200. Old. Tarnished (I like it that way, though...). Just all around sad. I am working on getting a Courtois Evolution I, though, or maybe an Edwards Generation II. Maybe a Kanstul. lol Anything but what I have. The strength of my gear is the mouthiece, and non Monetters will argue that.

a good mouthpiece is very important.....try not to fall into the constant..."is there a better mouthpiece out there?"....i've owned about 30 different mouthpieces in my playing career....

i think it's a trumpet player trait...always wanting to upgrade.....sorta like my audio equipment addiction....1.gif

now for some of the best sounds out there..get some recordings of wynton marsalis....sweet!!!!

russ

My little brother has a Bach strad from the mid eighties I think.

He also just recently got a flugelhorn but I haven't seen or heard it yet as I am 500 miles away.

A cool jazz player who I got to see live is Nicholas Payton(sp?).

As I call them the "blatty things" are cool.

Peace, Josh

The 19 rank pipe organ my dad built for our house back in '83 has a rank in the Great Division called an 8' English Trumpet (beautiful pipes with tin/lead alloy resonators made in the '50's). My old Yamaha Portasound PSR-500 (sold on eBay) had a covincing trumpet voice, as far as early '90's sounding MIDI keyboards went...but they can't touch the real thing, not by a long shot!

My favorite ashamed-to-admit album has to be Culture Club "Kissing to be Clever"; I still hate to admit I like the songs "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" and "Boy, Boy, (I'm the Boy)"...and this coming from a straight man!

Really...I am!2.gif

Really, Cluless' earlier post got me all hot and bothered!

post-11084-13819246603316_thumb.jpg

Thanks NOZ, but my dad takes all the credit. The 2-manual console was built in 1931, but I helped him refinish its solid oak and mahogany case. He either built the entire instrument from used organ parts, a few new parts, and the rest he built himself. Here's the 8' English Trumpet:

DSCN0424_a.jpg

It's no Bach Strad...the '50's vintage reed pipes are made from the Wicks Organ Company of Highland, Illinois. The chestwork he built from scratch using all popular wood. When in proper tune, this rank of pipes sound rich and clear, every note rings with a trumpet-like quality that can overpower the other stops of the organ!

I also dig some of the Pet Shop Boys...did I mention that I'm straight?12.gif

post-11084-1381924660459_thumb.jpg

I would not in any way claim this as a guilty pleasure... This is simply an awesome song, but i have no problem making my speakers hurt when I hear "Til Tuesday's, Voices Carry"... That song gives me goose bumps.

jt1stcav

Your dad built that? WOW! Very nice job. I would have to think you inherited some of your dad's craftsmenship.. Go make me a set of belles would ya?9.gif

----------------

On 2/27/2003 12:11:57 PM m00n wrote:

I would not in any way claim this as a guilty pleasure... This is simply an awesome song, but i have no problem making my speakers hurt when I hear
"Til Tuesday's, Voices Carry"
... That song gives me goose bumps.

----------------

m00n - Aimee Mann has some pipes, that's for sure. She can write, too. Ever hear "Coming Up Close" on the Welcome Home disk? You can sample it at Amazon.com...

Doug

----------------

On 2/27/2003 12:11:57 PM m00n wrote:

jt1stcav

Your dad built that? WOW! Very nice job. I would have to think you inherited some of your dad's craftsmenship.. Go make me a set of belles would ya?
9.gif

----------------

I wish I could, m00n...15.gif

Yeah, I'm impressed myself that my dad (who talked about building a residence pipe organ for years) could actually do it...All the years he worked for a pipe organ manufacturer here in FL (now defunkt), it took him 5 years to complete it. He's damn good at what he does (he's employed at an organ maintenance service company in CT now), but his genes rubbed off on my 26 year old brother, who builds 100lbs. subwoofer enclosures for his friend's car audio systems! This is his handywork:

P2271533_a.jpg

post-11084-1381924660627_thumb.jpg

P2271532_b.jpg

My bro built these 3-way towers a few years ago (his first attempt at home audio loudspeakers). Made of 3/4" popular plywood with 3/4" MDF front and back. Mid driver and cone tweeter are from a cheap consumer Bose model bookshelf from Sears years ago, and the 8" woofer's from RadioShack (ugh)! It's internally braced by two shelves; the bottom shelf with a hole cutout for the woofer and the port. Filled with damping, the crossover is from Dayton (Parts Express.com), and there's a polarity switch in the back near the speaker terminals...the cabinet is much better than the drivers/x-over mix (mids and highs sound thin, but with adequate bass to about 30 Hz. Until he can design (and afford) a better crossover and drivers from Peerless, Vifa, Focal, or Morel, these floorstanding towers will serve surround sound duty for his HT system.

Ask him to build ya a set of Belles!10.gif

I used to listen to Erasure, but I can't handle it anymore...

post-11084-1381924660712_thumb.jpg