What�s your guilty pleasure?

Colin

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought this thread might be fun: I forgot it was mine!

Guilty about the Beatles? I am getting old!

I confess to like Eddie and the Cruisers. I watch the movie when it comes on, went to John Cafferty and Beaver Brown band and bought the CDs (plural!)

I confess to thinking Robert Palmer was the slickest guy ever.

I admit that I love the god damn cheap manufacturer's radio in my truck and drive along on fresh days with the radio blasting Radar Love!

I admit watching Shania Twain slink across the stage even somebody might see me listening to country.

I watched Britney Spears (born-again Madonna) HBO special recently.

I love Chris Rocks comedy.

9.gif6.gif

• Moderators

cluless,

No, not a fan of the Quails, just that one song! Can't help myself. No worries--never listened to the Osmonds and have no desire to. This was a guilty pleasure post, not a "what are you a fan of" topic! If that were the case, I'd have to go with:

Chili Peppers

Dave Matthews

Soundgarden (Audioslave...)

Semisonic

Sublime

U2

Coldplay

among many others..

And, ok, I LOVE ABBA.

1.gif

Hello Posters:

20TH CENTURY FOX TITLE PIECE ALL BRASS FANFARE AND FOR THE ICING

THE U.S. NAVY HIT CHART: ANCHORS AWEIGH! I CRANK IT UP AND NEIGHBORS A BLOCK AWAY KNOW HE'S HOME! LOL! Naturally before our local noise curfew of 10p.

Best,

Craig

Broadcast standard equipment. Too numerous to mention!

BBB - You ever see "Demolition Man"??

Your "jingle" comments remind me of this "future flick", where the only thing played on the radio is advertising jingles, the last survivor of the "Franchise Restaurant Wars" is Taco Bell (who only serves health food), criminals are programmed during sleep to perform useful tasks such as knitting, meat and cheese is not consumed by those considered upstanding participating citizens of the society (it is instead only eaten by those living in the sewers, known as "The Underground", in the form of rat burgers), sexual diseases have more letters than a bowl of Alpha-Bits - therefore all sex is "virtual", and toilet paper is replaced by stainless steel seashells.

So I suppose a "guilty pleasure" is that I'm still wondering what's up with the seashells. With exception to the seashells, everything in this flick seems possible - in fact, we move closer to the state described in this film every day. Things that make ya go "Hmmmmmmmm"6.gif

Back to the Rock and Roll topic:

What defines a "guilty pleasure"?

It seems there is a very fine line between that which is just for fun (dare I say, uhhhhhh, masturbatory), and that which is taken more seriously. In no other genre - well, OK, Country could also qualify - is there such a dichotomy between that which is taken seriously, and that which must be a joke. Then there are some which cannot be placed into one category or the other on a mutually agreeable level.....often, such artists are on both sides of the fence. I feel it more informative and beneficial to discuss BOTH extremes - the seriously taken, and the not serious/just for fun - and admittedly, it's impossible to mention all that deserve it, but here goes:

Artists I sometimes (or used to) enjoy that could be called "guilty pleasures" - in the "just for fun" category:

Kiss: The original "just for fun" band. No one takes then seriously, and no one is expected to. Pure fantasy here, an escape from the everyday.

I don't listen much anymore, but one has to admit: they were good at what they did, but it's impossible to take them seriously - unless you look at the income statement.....and let's face it: not every band has a bass player that spits blood and breathes fire. The real Kiss: Everything prior to "Alive II".

AC/DC: Groundbreaking in that they were the original cheap sounding garage party band. Bon Scott added a bluesy dimension that was lost with his departure......Brian Johnson's graty, raspy voice wore out on me after "Back In Black". Bon was an infinitely better "bad boy". Best Effort: High Voltage.

Guns and Roses: Probably the most volatile band of all time (next to the Doors), but for a short period of time, as potent and firey as any band who walked on stage. For a short time they were THE ROCK BAND to see, and in the late '80s and early '90s were worth the trouble to go see. And there was sure trouble - last minute cancellations were standard, and even when they did play, it was often 2 hours after the opener left, so folks were never sure if they would in fact play. Axl had a penchant for attacking those he disagreed with, and made the biggest mistake a band can make: kicking the 2 best musicians - Izzy and Slash - out of the band. Every rock fan should have "Appetite for Destruction" in the collection.

THE "TWEENERS": These are some acts that straddle the fence between serious talent and sillyness - they show flashes of both:

The Rolling Stones: A big part of the 60's "british invasion", who get their due for the pioneers that they are. Still delivering the goods into their '60's. Mick's over the top show antics at times make them look a bit silly, but there's no denying the contribution they made to the genre.

Van Halen: Eddie Van Halen and Michael Anthony make this band go. A load of talent between these two, at times overshadowed by questionable lead vocal performances and antics. Both Dave and Sammy had good days and bad. On the whole, a talented band worth paying attention to, who ushered in an entire lineup of "hair bands" to follow.

Big complaint about VH: This band has no place for keyboards. Period. As much as I like keyboards, there's no place for them here. And STOP piping in keyboard music at the concerts, especially when there is no one playing the boards. It looks like hell. If you are going to play live, play live. Even the Who hid their board player, but at least they had one.

Phish: The Vermont quartet set new standards for consistency of performance in the early to mid '90's. They could be silly, uplifting, dark, and funny all at the same time. Excellent improvisational skills - especially at the peak of the band's existence. They created the greatest "tradition" in Rock and Roll - the performance of "the musical costume" (another band's album) on Halloween night.

Like many bands, however, the idea has run it's course. Phish's songwriting is less innovative than it used to be (IMO, a half assed attempt at "poppiness" has been the culprit), and less focus on the old material, which made them what they are. When they DO play the old stuff, it's sloppy and sounds unrefined. They don't play enough anymore to be the Tightest Band in Rock, a title they formerly held (in my mind) undisputably. For this reason (you may have noticed my sig), "I'm not fishin' anymore".

The Truly Talented:

The Beatles: Groundbreaking in the truest sense of the word, and a trio of talent that may never be matched in the genre. INCREDIBLE volume of work for the 8 years they were together. As solo artists, the trio achieved almost as much individually as they did together. The band evolved and innovated without getting stale, something that most bands (even the good ones) fall prey to.

Led Zeppelin: My favorite of the "goth/dark" rock bands. Again, talent galore in a band that still is one of the most listened to and respected bands ever. I was converted forever after seeing "The Song Remains The Same", and watching Jimmy with the guitar and bow. It will blow you away. I've seen it dozens of times, and it still does.

Pink Floyd: Again, talent at every position, with a live show that will melt the mind. David Gilmour's contributions to the band are VERY underestimated, and at times, simply ignored (especially by those "Roger is Floyd" folk). Just think what "Comfortably Numb" would be without Dave, as well as those other classic licks that everyone knows (Money, for example). Dave still managed to carry the torch of Floyd post Roger, and did a damn good job of it. Band was at it's best when the efforts were collaborative (written by Waters/Gilmour/Mason/Wright).

Grateful Dead: The original '60's improv rockers, who left a legacy and influence that is still expanding. The best band ever at expressing the "peaceful living" theme without sounding preachy (well, Throwing Stones, I'll give ya that one). Also fell victim to being on the road too long, resulting in inconsistent performances and the eventual demise of Jerry Garcia, but the feeling and message remained......and still remains, to this day. No band (with exception to SCI) could express and relate the concept of us spiritual beings having human experiences like the Grateful Dead.

Pearl Jam: My "most respected" of the 90's grunge groups. Had the gonads (albeit not the long term mettle) to take on Ticket(B)astard. Unbeholden to the megacorps who allow rock bands success, they have remained true to thier beliefs, and have consistently released original and continuously progressing material that keeps them from getting stale. Takes care of their own fans as well as any band on the circuit.

Talking Heads: My favorite '80's band. You don't understand?? Get "Stop Making Sense" on DVD, then I'll ask you, as David Byrne quips, "Does anybody have any questions???"

And finally,

The new and current champion.......

The String Cheese Incident:

This versatile musical unit is my "first choice" in the current realm of musical performances. Setting a new standard in consistency, they "bring it" on a nightly basis - which is TOUGH to do in an improvisational setting. Talent in this band is very underestimated, and while not in the league of the Beatles and so forth, they define what a GROUP is - an entity GREATER than the sum of the parts. The individual talent in the band often gets lost in the power of the group. It's not about who has the best solo, it's about who can play best in a group setting.

Free of the stereotypical trappings of rock bands, they are as true to themselves as any rock band can possibly be in this day and age. No phallic motions by the guitarists here - just pure, unadulterated musical joy. When they do show off, it's through the MUSIC coming from the stage, and not through unnecessary showboating and gesturing. The music is the focus here.

John Barlow, former songwriter for the Grateful Dead, who is now writing for String Cheese Incident, dubbed them "Grateful Dead, version 2.0". That's a pretty strong statement (which pi$$es off many old Deadheads), but I feel the assessment is correct. SCI has a knack for just being themselves, without coming off as fakey or overemphasized. As the Dead were, SCI has a positive message that doesn't come off "preachy", one gets the feeling that all this is natural and genuine, because it is.

They are as connected to their fanbase as any musical act on the planet. They are their own company. No nasty recording contracts, just complete freedom to be who they are. SCI is currently suing TicketMaster, as SCI wishes to be able to sell thier own tickets, printed by thier own ticketing system, to thier own performances, at lower rates than TM charges. The case is pending. They charge amongst the lowest prices for tickets in the venues they play. They also avoid playing Clear Channel operated venues whenever possible (and that gets tougher every day), since CC owned venues have exclusive ticketing contracts with Ticketmaster, and generally SCI has more/better control over details of performances in non CC venues, and can charge less money for tickets.

Musically, they bring a combination of flavors to the table, often through what is known as "the cover". Bluegrass, calypso, groove, jazz, irish jig, you name it, they go there. No band plays other artists' music and makes it thier own better than the String Cheese Incident. Amongst the hot, gooey covers they do:

Impressions

Mauna Bowa

Rhum N Zouc

Birdland

Voodoo Chile (lead guitar is a fiddle here)

Land's End

Blackberry Blossom

Lonesome Fiddle Blues

and there's about 100 more, plus the SCI catalog, so they are working with an available song pool of about 200+ songs on any given evening......quite gouda and unpredictable9.gif

They aren't your stereotypical rock and roll band.......and they certainly have been accused of being "all happy - all the time", which is changing (hear: Untying The Not), but for me right now, there's no better musical space for me than here. And for that, I feel no guilt at all1.gif

So, the point of this long wordy diatribe is this: In order to ask "what's your guilty pleasure", what do you take seriously??? Many I recall or know (like Allan Songer's love for 50's-70's Jazz), what what do you take seriously, and why??? Both tell a much more complete picture, and since we're discussing, let's discuss both extremes at the same time, shall we????

Audible Nectar! Fess Up! Exactly what is your affiliation with String Cheese Incident? Are you Promoter, Manager, a Family Relation, or just an Avid Fan. I think that your posts contain more references to the band than mine do to chocolate, flompy doodles and rabbit stew.2.gif

Cluless:

I'm just a fan. You see, cluless, most folk are "clueless" when it comes to how to and where to find GOOD MUSIC. Good music should be shared. I liken this to many of Allan's posts, where an underappreciated genre (in his case, Jazz) is explained and offered for all to hear. After all, what good is this forum if we don't discuss the music we listen to - because all these big boxes are really about MUSIC.

If the String Cheese Incident were pumped out on the radio dial 15 times a day, I wouldn't need to explain all of this. Since they aren't, they deserve the pub, because they really are unique in many ways in the sometimes nasty business of Rock and Roll (and the music biz in general). If SCI used the traditional methods of publicity, they would be beholden to the interests of the companies who made them - which gets in the way of the MUSIC. So the result is a much better experience, especially if one is willing to see them in concert.

If SCI isn't your flavor, there are are a seemingly infinite number of bands who are "under the radar" yet putting out excellent stuff!! Go to Bonnaroo, High Sierra, New Orleans Jazz Fest (where it's not just Jazz, it's sooooooo much more), 10,000 lakes, Wakarusa, and on and on and on.....

You won't generally find 'em on the dial of the highest end of McIntosh tuners folks - but you can find 'em on the web (start at www.jambase.com), and find enough goodies to keep you listening for years. Then you gotta hit the road, folks, cuz the live stage is where it really happens.

Oh, BTW, one more public service announcement - SCI will be headlining day two at most Lollapalooza stops this summer9.gif

I know this is a little late in the game, but a good song for some pure, outright, full volume blasting with plenty of dynamics, bass, and speed is.....

Europe - Final Countdown.

According to my Rat-Shck SPL meter at me seat (about 10 feet away), it's between 104 - 107dB!!!!!!

LOUD!!!!!!

Another good one is Billy Idol - Eyes Without A Face

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing guilty about Romantics What I Like About You, except when it comnes on the classical rock station, it makes me drive over the speed limit

Nothing guilty about Thriller either awesome album = guilty artist.

Daymar, who you calling manly (wait, is that an insult?)

3.gif

Dave Clark Five. These guys had 17 top 40 songs

and 8 top 10 songs in the U.S.

They may have sold more records but the

Beatles owned the charts at their peak.

Dave Clark Five.jpg

Album : THE HISTORY OF THE DAVE CLARK FIVE

eBay Item number: 4015460248 Current bid $40.00

Disc 1: Glad All Over / Bits And Pieces / Do You Love Me / Can't You See That She's Mine / Because / Don't Let Me Down / Any Way You Want It / Everybody Knows (I Still Love You) / Anytime You Want Love / Thinking of You Baby / Whenever You're Around / Little Bitty Pretty One / Crying Over You / Don't Be Taken In / When / Reelin' And Rockin' / Come Home / Mighty Good Loving / Hurting Inside / Having a Wild Weekend / Til the Right One Comes Along / Catch Us If You Can / I'll Be Yours My Love / I Am On My Own / I Need Love. Disc 2: Try Too Hard / All Night Long / Look Before You Leap / Please Tell Me Why / Somebody Find a New Love / Satisfied With You / At the Scene / I Miss You / Do You Still Love Me / Nineteen Days / I've Got to have a Reason / I Like It Like That / Over And Over / You Got What It Takes / Doctor Rhythm / Small Talk / Concentration Baby / Everybody Knows / Inside And Out / At the Place / Best Days Work / Maze of Love / Here Comes Summer / Live In the Sky / Everybody Get Together.

post-7563-1381924660845_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I know like most of you guys, I like slipping into something silky and frilly, on occasion. A little white wine, a Michael Bolton CD, some aromatherapy candles...I am getting goosebumps so heavy, they're bordering on convulsions. I am guessing some of you are having the same experience reading this.