What�s your guilty pleasure?

Colin

----------------

On 6/24/2004 12:38:43 PM fini wrote:

Well, I know like most of you guys, I like slipping into something silky and frilly, on occasion. A little white wine, a Michael Bolton CD, some aromatherapy candles...I am getting goosebumps so heavy, they're bordering on convulsions. I am guessing some of you are having the same experience reading this.

----------------

AY you're sick!!

14.gif

Tom

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alrighty then, I think it's time to bump Colin's thread up once again for all the latest newbies out there who haven't read this thread and had the chance to add in all their guilty pleasures.

Thought I'd add that I also like Kenny G and Chris Botti smooth jazz tunes, and I now own nearly all of Diana Krall's CDs...can't help myself!5.gif

This isn't much weirder than some of the other selections written about here. But from a Led Zep/Deep Purple/Yes fan, I really enjoy some of my Dad's old music. Takes me back..

Boots Randolph- Yackety Sax

Al Hirt

Christy Minstrels

Herb Alpert

Willy Nelson- Dad LOVED WIlly Nelson

It was May 15 that Dad died during heart surgery, about 21 years ago if my math is right. Losing your father at age 25 just sucked!

Michael

----------------

On 5/8/2004 9:24:25 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

If SCI isn't your flavor, there are are a seemingly infinite number of bands who are "under the radar" yet putting out excellent stuff!! Go to Bonnaroo, High Sierra, New Orleans Jazz Fest (where it's not just Jazz, it's sooooooo much more), 10,000 lakes, Wakarusa, and on and on and on.....

----------------

To reply to a year-old post....:

I've listened to SCI, and they are good, although not my flavor. However, what is my flavor is some of the power/prog rock and metal that I've been finding myself listening to quite a bit over the past few years.

One group in particular, Sonata Arctica, has really been making a name for themselves. I finally got to see these guys live just back in April. This is some excellent musicianship with very original music. I'll be getting to see many more of these bands live. In August, I am going to go up to Jaxx again and see Hammerfall and Edguy live. In September, I'll be going to Atlanta to ProgPower VI to see, amonsgt others, Stratovarius, Therion, Manticora, Circus Maximus.

You won't hear these guys on even the highest end of tuners either (unless your tuner get pick up XM satellite radio). In fact, most of this music, you are not likely to find on your typical radio station. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you will hear it on XM Radio (just this past week, I heard a Hammerfall track on XM-41 on the way home from the gym! I could not believe it!

But I agree with your post in general, although I am not a huge fan of SCI. To find good music, you gotta be willing to go beyond the "mainstream" and really start exploring around. The internet does make it much easier. For example, those that are interested in progessive/power rock/metal, check out the Laser's Edge site. Just about as complete of a Progressive/Power Metal/Rock catalog as you can get. They got stuff on there I've never even heard of. It'll be years before I even come close to hearing a fraction of this stuff. The only gripe I got with that site, I wish I could hear samples of some of those CD's, to get an idea if I like the sound of a particular band enough to want to buy thier album. Well, there is always good ol' allofmp3.com. 11.gif

OK here goes and don't tell anybody. This happens only during the day when I'm home from work early and the neighbors are still at work. I live on a quiet little cul-de-sac..you get the picture. Everybody knows everybodies business.

First it's...

Forget me nots- Patrice rushen

Boogie oogie oogie- taste of honey

Le freak-chic

ETC. ETC.

I DJed at a few of the local clubs in the 70's and still can't get this crap out of my head. Does bring back a few memories though.

OH THE SHAME!

Big D

Guest Anonymous

The 70's hard rock still get's me fired up, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, etc... However, with three other young men in the house, I wish some of the lyrics were not so clear!

I don't feel as guilty playing other 70's classics such as Kansas, Foreinger, Styx, etc...

Nothing like "Now Your Messing with a S.O.B." by April Wine or "Storm Troopin" by the MOTOR CITY MAD MAN before a hockey game.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 2:11:13 PM bigdnfay wrote:

Forget me nots- Patrice rushen

Boogie oogie oogie- taste of honey

Le freak-chic

ETC. ETC.

I DJed at a few of the local clubs in the 70's and still can't get this crap out of my head. Does bring back a few memories though.

OH THE SHAME!

----------------

No shame at All! I started collecting this music as therapy after the break-up of a girlfriend. It was damn hard to find in 1987, even on 45's.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 8:03:38 PM No NHL ! ?? wrote:

The 70's hard rock still get's me fired up, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, etc... However, with three other young men in the house, I wish some of the lyrics were not so clear!

I don't feel as guilty playing other 70's classics such as Kansas, Foreinger, Styx, etc...

Nothing like "Now Your Messing with a S.O.B." by April Wine or "Storm Troopin" by the MOTOR CITY MAD MAN before a hockey game.

----------------

Wow!! I'm a fan of every band you mentioned. Ted's first album is one of my all time favorites. Too bad he got so full of himself after that.

BOC is freakin incredible in concert, especially during "Godzilla". The drummer used to put on a big Godzilla head and they'd point a strobe light on him while he beat the hell out of his drums.......what a trip.9.gif

And how in the world does Angus play guitar so well while running around on stage like that?!? It's like he's possessed or something.....totally amazing. But, having graduated high school in 1980, I loved their early stuff and really miss Bon Scott. Brian's singing(?) just ain't the same.

Rick.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 10:45:27 PM Thumpelstiltskin wrote:

..."And how in the world does Angus play guitar so well while running around on stage like that?!? It's like he's possessed or something.....totally amazing. But, having graduated high school in 1980, I loved their early stuff and really miss Bon Scott. Brian's singing(?) just ain't the same."

Rick.

----------------

He's just a hyper lil' Aussie that can't sit still...the music "moves" him, so he said in some guitar mag interview I read recently at work. Guess that's why he also gets the urge to "moon" the audience, like he did when I saw AC/DC at UT in Austin, TX back in '81. Wish I saw Bon Scott perform...don't get me wrong, I like Johnson too, but Scott's voice was more "bluesy" and not so much a "forced scream" like Brian's can be.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...