Try this turntable!!

DrPyro

I contacted the manufacturer last year with little feedback. There is no way to know what it sounds like without hearing it. I guess that sounds silly, but what I mean is compared to mechanical contact.

Last year they had prices of about half these. Don't know whether they are doing well or poorly from this huge increase.

Dave

Woh. Just noticed you've air motion transformers. My first big speaker purchase came down to amt's versus Rectilinear IV's. Went with the Rect's as I was (am) mainly classical. Thought the amt's just a bit too bright. Really liked them, though. Just ditched the Rect's a year or so back. Pretty beat up after being all over the world with them.

Didn't know any were still around. I've also wondered whatever happened to the big 360 degree titanium radiators of about the same vintage...forget the name at the moment.

Dave

Mallett-

Wow, I didn't really pay attention to how long the company had been alive. What did you hear back from the company? It definately has MASSIVE coolness factor, but how it sounds is the determining factor. Plus the $10K price tag (or even $5K) could get ALOT of vinyl or CDs, hell, that gets close to the price of a few cars 9.gif

-Dave

That turntable has been around over 10 years, perhaps more. In fact, I believe it was in development at the dawn of the CD age. This company acquired it from elsewhere. They responded to my questions pretty obliquely. One thing they said was they had no plans to market in the US.

I hunted far and wide for tests other than their own stooges, and could find no mention of it. Can't believe $tereophile hasn't reviewed it. Seems like a natural for Fremer.

Dave

I don't think I'd like the lasers melting my precious vinyl...I know it doesn't, but what if something malfunctioned and the laser just melted a hole into my LP or something along those lines? Naw...I think I'll stick to the mechanical medium. They're much more fun to watch.

Now I'd enjoy watching this 'table spin my LPs!

dragon-ct.jpg

post-11084-13819246633694_thumb.jpg

Ray-

I wondered when someone would point out an astronomically priced turntable. I guess it goes to show us the absurdity of the Capitalist system. The only think I can think when someone brings up the price of an audio device, "Only in America". But you still have to look at 'em 9.gif

Oh one question, has anyone ever worn out a record from playing it too many times?? Having grownup in the digital age and only really played with my folks record player a few times, I'm just clueless about such things.

-Dave

PS: Great Icon Ray!

Laser TT's aren't new. I first recall seeing one that played regular LP's in the 80's around the time CD's came out. They had a lot of problems back then.

I even recall a proposed new "LP" format from the early 70's which used "light & dark" areas on the surface of an LP sized record for the laser pickup to see. I have some technical white papers on it. I'll post it later, can't seem to find it right now.

I get stuff from that Japanese company like once a month. News paper clippings, CD's, all kinds of stuff. I even told them I was not in the need of one and that I did not have the means for a $14,000 TT... but they keep giving me stuff! Quite nice people they are!

Dave,

I believe ESS never stopped making the AMT's. About 6 months ago, I spoke to someone in their sales department. She told me they mostly export their speakers overseas nowadays. The factory is near Sacramento, California. As I have mucho family in that area, hopefully I'll be able to stop by sometime. I remember ESS speakers sounding pretty good "back in the day".

The website address is www.essspeakers.com

Regards,

Chris