Rediscovering automatic turntables.

Hello all,

Finally got myself an automatic today.

I had almost forgot how nice it was to not have to drop what i'm doing and rush to reset the tone arm.

Nothing will make you move faster than your favorite stylus dragging the run-out groove.

So, I took the plunge.

I really wasn't in the market for a new one.

Been quite happy with the performance of my SL-1200 mk2 and TD-124.

They give me no troubles at all.

But, as it happens, opportunity came a knocking.

Well....gotta answer, you know.

I met up with a fella who swapped his Technics SL-Q303 for my Numark Studio table.

I believe it was a good trade.

The Numark was just sitting around, collecting dust.

I've been spinning all types of albums and swapping different headshells on it all evening.

The stock Pickering that's on it is O.K., but not the best response.

I'm really liking my Shure M44E on it, though the M91ED sounds pretty good also.

Unfortunately, the M91ED isn't showing cats eyes, so I believe it's pretty well hit.

I've been waiting for a new needle for it, so in the mean time, the M44E will do.

My green AT and Stanton don't sound too bad on there, either.

I think it's safe to say that I really like this turntable.

You just sit back, hit start/replay, and let her rip.

Nice.1.gif

I can see myself grooving out another B side of Frampton Comes Alive disk two.9.gif

Regards,

John.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly and report to you just how bad your DD auto TT sounds. That, without even hearing it.

I like my comparably equipped TT too. Sure is easy to use and enjoy. That to me is what its all about.

Keith

LOL

Yeah, your probably right Keith.

Some may scoff at DDs.

To each their own.

Those people can go sit on my Thorens TD124/ w Rekokut tone arm and G.E. cartridge.

I like attributes of both DD and belt drive.

Too me, they each have their own place in my systems.

Sorry Fini, i'm a AA bond man, myself. 9.gif

----------------

On 3/4/2003 1:58:45 AM Audioreality wrote:

Sorry Fini, i'm a AA bond man, myself.
9.gif

----------------

Oooh, maybe you're the guy to ask whether now is a good time to sell some zero coupon bonds, and get into equities! (I know, I know...ask in the General forum...)

fini

Yeah, I get a kick everytime someone dis's a system without even hearing it. Nothing like a wide-open mind. My Rotel/SME is manual, but my Empire I use for 78's at least has auto arm pickup via magnets. Can't imagine how this could impact playback and it is awfully convenient. I DO wish I could figure out how to adjust the pickup point as it occasionally gets lifted on disks with long end runout grooves.

Anyway, I just realized I've an old M91ED kicking around which, I think, has a 78 stylus on it at the moment.

What's the general opinion of this old warhorse for LP playback? Think I should spring for a new stylus to check it out?

Heh heh...Fini, i've been wondering the same type of thing.

I'm sure plenty of us are.

Index funds are a viable option.

This might be a good time to read prospectus from a few solid blue chips.

I, personally, don't wish to comprimise my risk tolerance at this point.

So for me, the safe bet has been laddering.

I'm kinda waiting to see what Jr. is going to do in Iraq before I move into equities of any sort.

Great time to pick and peck with your play money, though.

IMHO. I just wouldn't bet the whole farm on it right now.

Mallet, somewhere on the suspension should be an adjustment screw.

Check it out when the tone arm is positioned above the run-out.

Maybe, it will be exposed at that point.

Sometimes, they remain hidden until the suspension assembly is turned in the right direction.

Just a thought.

Regards,

John.

Shoot. I was psyc'ing myself up to dump my old JVC at a garage sale price.

You are right! I kinda miss putting on a side and forgeting about it. It's great for casual listening.

Thanks! Now I'm back to keeping it. The wife's going to love that...lol

Speaking of garage sales, that's exactly where my turntable came from. I was looking to get back into vinyl after seeing various comments on this forum Happened past a garage sale where I found an old Dual 502. Needed cleaning up, a new belt, and I found a dust cover from another junk TT that fits it fine (just to set over it). Dropped $55 bucks for a decent Grado Prestige Blue cartridge, hooked it up to my old Yamaha integrated amp, and I'm off to the races. Sounds great!

As I recall, the M-91 was a good middle of the road cartridge from Shure Bros. It was a little bright and a little fragile, but overall a good buy for the (discounted) price. The list price was huge, but I remember you could get them from places like Dixie Hi-Fi for around $20.

The M-44 was more of an industrial workhorse - the radio station I work at used them - but was not as smooth or responsive as the M-91. It didn't track as well, either. But it, along with the Grados and the Stanton 500 series, was the cartridge of choice for the record changers in the BSR-Garrard-Miracord line.

That being said, you might want to check out some of the cartridges by Grado. Older cartridges, I'm told, have damping materials in them which can deteriorate with time. Plus a new stylus can cost up to 80% of the cost of a new cartridge anyway. 9.gif

I ALWAYS hated automatic turntables. Quiet frankly, I can't think of a better way to destroy your vinyl other than maybe sandpapering it with some 60 grit C-weight paper electro coated garnet like our drummer used to do (at least it looked that way when you got your LP back). Or maybe the rear window of a closed car on a hot sunny day.

My Grandma wants convenience................. for her 10 LP's.

You want convenience? I thought that's what Cd's are for!...Even tapes!...8-track tapes!

The LP was never "convenient" other than being able to manually skip from one track, to what ever track you wanted (other than flipping it over) (another INconvenience).

Hmmmm. How does this destruction happen compared to the odds of dropping, scraping and otherwise accidently whacking one's arm across the disk with a manual? Yeah, I've seen badly designed automatics, and badly designed manuals.

I have a manual as well as the autopickup Empire, but I still can't really comprehend how properly designed automatics can in anyway impact sonics when the mechanics are completely isolated from the playback mechanism.

Seems like a fetish to me.

But I could be, and often am, wrong. Care to provide the apparently required education?

Dave

OK....sorry. My apologies!......when I hear the words "automatic turntable" I immediately think of "changers". Which, now that I think of it, is not what u guys are talking about. I was refering to those damn things you stack LP's on & let them fall onto & slip over each other. My mistake, never mind 16.gif

OK, I've got one. I was across town picking up my Scott amp and tuner a while back when the seller asks if I know anything about 'this' turntable, pointing across the room. It was an old BSR. 'No' I said, but what about that old Sansui over there, I said, pointing to a stack of old tube amps and Linn turntables on the other side of the room. 'Oh,take that with you' he said. I gave it a look and it looked like new. 'Let me give you $5 for it' I says, and he goes, 'OK'.

It needed a new belt, I added a good cartridge, and it sounds and works great.

End of story.

Keith

Auto versus Manual !!!!

What a subject . Is there a difference..... yes !! How large a difference ...... Small !

I tested this out a number of ways and here is my findings.

MMF-7 full manual with Erioca cartridge. Sounds awesome and brings all the best of subtle sounds in the music out better than my JVC with a Shure M97E this difference might be limited by using a better MM cartridge on the JVC maybe ! I took this theory to its extreme and installed a Erioca on the JVC this suprised me the motor noise and all the problems that others claim on DD turn table came smacking me in the face !! So with a direct drive turntable you don't want a cartridge of this caliber. Now I took the step even further and install my Erioca on my Dual 504 belt drive semi auto (it just lifts the needle off the record at the end all manual other then that). The difference between it and the MMF-7 was almost nothing if at all to my ear !

Now I still think the MMF-7 is a great table and a relative bargin with the erioca cartridge. I'm keeping it !! It just looks cool !

But for casual listening I still use my JVC / Shure combo !!

Craig

I have found that when using high quality cartridges on my old Technics SL-1300, it is not so much that the high quality cartridges have a problem with direct drive as much as it is that the huge magnet structure in the platter can have an adverse affect on SOME of those cartridges. IOW...one has to match the cartridge to the turntable moreso than one normally would have to do when using one of these. I like the auto features of my SL-1300...but only use the auto-pickup-return feature, always hand-cueing at the beginning. Some want to just "diss" DD turntables and further "diss" auto features...but I have found that one can find an ideal-sounding turntable/cartridge combo on most any high-quality turntable, whether it be DD, auto, or whatever!

Didn't get it fini. Maybe it was delivered to the wrong house, like my Scott. Did you use FedEx?

Keith

How about PM-ing me your e-mail address and I'll shoot you a mail and you can try replying to that. I can also use your address at some other sites I visit late at night.

Keith,

I got your email last night, but my reply came back. I'll copy 'n' paste to a pm, and also send the email again, but it's not like I have anything important to tell you...

fini

Interesting read, gentleman.

Learning alot here.

After returning to TT after 20 years, I'm just getting my feet wet again.

I have several nice platters with decent tone arms, but no REALLY good cartidges.

My 2 Shures are about the best of the bunch.

I'm happy with them for now.

The only set up that i'm really proud of is my Thorens TD-124.

It runs a dual belt configuration utilizing an idler pulley.

Weighs about 40Lbs.

You could beat a man to death with the extra stout Rekokut tone arm.

The smooth look of the big, brass G.E. cartridge is a sight to behold.

She is a true classic. IMO.

It's no SPJ La Luce CS Centoventi, but she's good enough for me.2.gif

Regards,

John.