Klipschorn Issues... please advise

Johnny dB

My horns don't sound the same. The right horn is much brighter than the left. Switched wires on the amp, same results. Leads me to believe I either have faulty wiring, crossover, and/or tweeter. I will first change the wiring. They still have the original '84 Monster Cable speaker wire. What's a good upgrade wire that won't break the bank?

Is one side 'brighter' than the other, or just 'louder'? Been like this for a while and you just noticed -- or did this just happen? Before you worry about wiring (which probably doesn't have a thing to do with this unless a lead came off one of the drivers) -- you need to carefully check to make sure each driver is working. Low volume, and careful listening with one of your ears.

I'm close -- if you want me to come and take a peek -- shoot me an email.

Dean he just switched to a Scott 299 and because of the better sound field of a tube amp the difference reared its ugly head and we both thought there was a problem with his amp. But he switched the channels and the problem followed the speaker so .....

Craig

I'd unscrew and rescrew each connection, particularly if you have an old crossover/balancing network. If you're lucky, it could be as simple as a bad connection. You can't *see* a bad connection, so just go ahead and loosen and then retighten the screws.

Paul, I'm going to try that.

Randy, I don't think the tweeter is fried. It's not distorted. I have sound coming out, but it just isn't as prominent in that speaker as the other.

Dean, I'd love it if you came by. I'd like a second opinion on this setup. I'll email you.

DougD:

I guess I could switch speaker placement and see if that's an issue. I don't think it is because you can hear the difference a foot away.

Unfortunately, my 299 went out on me so I'll have to wait to try new things. It was running with a cracked resistor for a while, but now I think it's down for the count. 14.gif

Dale,

Can you explain your problem alittle.

I thought (and this is what get's me in trouble) is that they either work or not.

When I bought my Cornwalls one tweeter was dead and the other one was scratchy as all get out.

I found this out by first noticing there were no hi's. I then took a towel and stuffed it into midrange.

I then took the tweeter's out and hooked them up to my amp and very low volume. The results were the same.

What are you doing on this board? Why are you not listening to your new system?

Danny