Here's something you don't see every day!

Allan Songer

LOL Fini.

Really, though. Could the components be in prime shape after sitting in a box for 35 years? Wouldn't the physical law of entropy have some impact here and suggest that the item be in need of evaluation/repair/update?

Also, even if it has been sitting in a box, the box is not airtight and that English salt air could have impacted the cosmetics, undetected by the x-rays.

Even though this is a novel form of presentation, I'd rather he had opened the boxes on at least one of the units.

----------------

On 3/10/2003 2:57:32 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

once x-rayed they are ruined. forget about it. you can never get the sounstage right after that. cannot be fixed.

C&S

----------------

Really? That is a very interesting bit of information to know. What is it about the XRAY process that has a negative affect on the components?

I hope they used a professional to X-ray those things. They should have use a lead shield on the pair to protect the important parts before someone drops the family jewels to buy them. If not it could result in some lousy reproduction. Even then I would suggest getting a brain scan before bidding. 2.gif

----------------

On 3/10/2003 2:57:32 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

once x-rayed they are ruined. forget about it. you can never get the sounstage right after that. cannot be fixed.

C&S
----------------

What I heard is that the whole midrange is ruined if a amplifier is X-rayed. It reverses the direction of all the molecules in the cables, so those need to be redone. Very expensive to fix. Also, the oil in the capisitors is ruined during X-rays, so you will need to go to Wal-Mart and get the oil changed too.

----------------

On 3/10/2003 3:45:30 PM m00n wrote:

Really? That is a very interesting bit of information to know. What is it about the XRAY process that has a negative affect on the components?

----------------

m00n, I think your leg is being yanked here!9.gif