DBX 3BX....Wow

Mallette

My DBX 3BX I picked up on Ebay for 80.00 delivered showed today. Exceeded my expectations both in function and cosmetically considerably. I've been using a DBX 117, the original, since 1976 and played only a handful of LP's without it. However, I put on my well loved Dark Side of the Moon a couple of weeks ago and really noticed how the groove damage pulsed with the bass on the opening heartbeats. Took a look on Ebay and found several 3BX units. The 3BX originally sold for 650.00. Several were at 130 and above. I noticed one lower, not only that, but it was in San Antonio at an outfit called "Sound Investments" saying it was excellent cosmetically, and the unit and all controls had been cleaned and tested. For some reason, it never went that high and I nabbed it.

Dropped the needle on the Dark Side album and immediately noticed what I had expected. No more hash on the heartbeats. Took 20 years off that album immediately.

As if I needed more proof, the Perfect Audiophile Wife arrived from work and promptly listened to a whole side of it non-stop saying I'd done good, especially after I did an A-B with the bypass switch.

Very imposing unit, at least 4 times wider than the 117 and that much heavier as well.

Though I've found that the Sound Forge NX unit has a dynamic range expander, it requires a bit of fiddling. The DBX sounds so good I am just going to pre-process my 24/96 recordings of LP's from now on and save the Sound Forge for clicks and pops.

If you are into LP's, you need one of these.

Highly recommended!

Dave

If you think that 3BX is an improvement you should try the best and last version that DBX made before going under in 1990 the 3BX-DS. The original 3BX used stereo triggering and the image would tend to wander sometimes, the Series II model had a noticeable breathing affect when running the expansion and transition level further than the 1/2 way point. The Series III version was nice and they added the impact restoration circuit at this point. All these versions were geared towards vinyl and tapes the last version the 3BX-DS had compression as well as expansion on all 3 bands, had three bands of impact restoration and an ambience circuit that would let you trim or widen the soundstage. Last but not least DBX made the coup de'gras of all their processors the DBX 5BX-DS a five band version under the complete control of a NEC processor, this thing is awesome, five independently adjustable bands. As you can see from my signature I love the DBX products and what they can do. If you need any info on your unit please just let me know. Enjoy! 1.gif

Not sure what you mean be dbx "going under" unless you mean they are owned by the Harman Corp. now. They no longer make high end consumer items, but make great studio products (E.Q.s, Comp/limiters/gates, preamps both digital and tube combos). They are in daily use in so many studios (just not mine, although they make a couple products I would like to get).

An easy way to add some dynamic range back into vinyl tranfers would be great though.

Marvel

The original DBX consumer group has long been defunct as well as all their talented engineers, Harmon International resurrected the name and sells strictly pro gear under the DBX name. They no longer design, support, or produce products designed for consumer use. The old DBX consumer group designed and built some of the finest processing gear ever produced. Using a combination of their gear the possibilities are endless, I hate some people with the purest attitude. What the hell do they think the sound engineer is doing behind the glass when the band or singer is recording? He is manipulating the sound from the actual performance! Hello! I can bypass the units individually using the program route selector when they are not needed. I don't have any noise or hiss when the system is idle or running either. Good stuff! 9.gif

Ahh, Herr Marvel. I've been hoping to hear from you. Please see the "Rega/M-audio/Card Deluxe" thread and tell us your opinion of the M-audio I am told you have.

Frzninvt: I know that you mean about the "attitude." My Perfect Audiophile Wife, when I bypassed the DBX during Dark Side playback, immediately said "Turn it back on!" Whatever effect such divices MIGHT have on the signal beyond their design intent is made utterly irrelevant to the massive improvement in noise floor and dynamic range. Lots of LP freaks forget that, whatever the advantages of analog, LP's have a very small dynamic range compared to the real world that digital, including CD, does not suffer from. Being a MUSICAL purist as opposed to being wed to some philosophical or metaphysical belief system, I find Midnight Oil much more satisfying on CD, but chamber music far more compelling on LP.

That said, an LP with an outstanding dynamic restoration applied is the best technology has to offer, until 24/196 or similar is within our reach as consumers. Even then, it will be well after I am dead and gone before the balance of available great music is can be had in new media, and some never will be.

Having experienced this awesome improvement over my long-serving 117, which now goes to the LR "casual" turntable, I will definitely be grazing Ebay in the future for at least the last 3BX model you mentioned, if not more.

Your system "sounds" awesome. Many purists forget what you mentioned...it can be bypassed...but only a monk would want to!

Dave

The DBX 3BX-DS is spefically designed with digital media in mind and will make incredible differences in CD or DVD playback without any sonic artifacts whatsoever. The 5BX-DS can even make a DDD recorded CD sound better, the 5BX is so sophisticated the level is never higher than the original recorded one, it is a true linear controller.

• 7 years later...

I am thinking about the 3bx for reel to reel tape only, for playing back of factory recorded tapes, the sound from good tapes is incredible but the hiss is a pest. Is a 3bx good for hiss reduction? I know there are hiss reducers out there but I thought a 3BX for a little dynamics as well..... Should I stick with series III. Should I be looking at a 4bx or the holy grail 5bx??? I had ( actually still do stored away) a DBX 5 CD player, it had the features a DS series offers built in, I never used the features as they did nothing for me, maybe I was using them wrong I dont know........ looking for some opinions from folks who have used these units.....Thanks

• Moderators

As if I needed more proof, the Perfect Audiophile Wife arrived from work and promptly listened to a whole side of it non-stop saying I'd done good, especially after I did an A-B with the bypass switch.

SOLD, what better could you have asked for ? A happy PAW is a happy Dave ! [Y]

I am thinking about the 3bx for reel to reel tape only, for playing back of factory recorded tapes, the sound from good tapes is incredible but the hiss is a pest. Is a 3bx good for hiss reduction? I know there are hiss reducers out there but I thought a 3BX for a little dynamics as well..... Should I stick with series III. Should I be looking at a 4bx or the holy grail 5bx??? I had ( actually still do stored away) a DBX 5 CD player, it had the features a DS series offers built in, I never used the features as they did nothing for me, maybe I was using them wrong I dont know........ looking for some opinions from folks who have used these units.....Thanks

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum 1216audio, we're glad you're here. Hopefully someone can help with both of our questions.

Dennie

"can anyone tell me anything about the DBX 21?"

It is for decoding DBX records and tapes that you have made that were recorded with the DBX 128.

Thank djk, so it is specific to "those" recordings?

It is of no use for regular, non-DBX records and tapes?

Dennie

"can anyone tell me anything about the DBX 21?"

It is for decoding DBX records and tapes that you have made that were recorded with the DBX 128.

Thank djk, so it is specific to "those" recordings?

It is of no use for regular, non-DBX records and tapes?

Dennie

Wow. Talk about a blast from the past. 2003.

If I don't address one of the new questions, please let me know. It's late and I've been enjoying a few whisky's and likely to miss something.

The DBX21 isn't useful unless you have or acquire a DBX record or tapes. If you are into analog R2R, it will provide you with digital like bandwidth and reduce tape noise to near digital levels.

Only the DBX companders such as the 117 original, the the 1-5BX series provide any usefulness otherwise, and in good hands they can greatly reduce tape noise and LP surface noise as well as provide a fix for the dynamic compression that is present in both those media.

Dave

The DBX 3BX-DS is spefically designed with digital media in mind and will make incredible differences in CD or DVD playback without any sonic artifacts whatsoever. The 5BX-DS can even make a DDD recorded CD sound better, the 5BX is so sophisticated the level is never higher than the original recorded one, it is a true linear controller.

I check from time to time on ebay for either of the DS units and never seem to see any...where do these show up for sale? regards, T

BTW, long since I started this thread I obtained a 4BX. I've never found a 5BX and never succeeded in getting a remote control or clone of one for my 4BX...both "holy grails" in the DBX arena.

The 4BX is a marvelous unit, and I still run the 3BX on a secondary system. I also still have in good working order my original 1976 117.

Playing records without a DBX is almost as difficult for me as listening to a Dolby cassette without Dolby...though, of course, my cassettes are long since digitized and only a few here would even know what I am talking about.

Dave