AK-3 Crossovers?

The AK-3s are a two piece K-horn crossover used from sometime in the '90s through 2000. They are enough different from the AB-2 and AL-3 that I don't think you'd want to use them in anything but a K-horn. They are said to sound quite good.

Peter,

I took a look at the Klipschorns on ebay. The pictured K55M midrange driver is also an upgrade to match the AK-3 network. That means they most likely also have the newer square magnet M77M tweeter. He probably did the complete upgrade. Ask him if the tweeter has a round or square magnet. Also ask if they have the K-33E woofer. The rope caulk and or dampening material is also a good mod.

They look like a pair that I would buy. The mods might scare off other buyers so maybe the price won't go too high. I would pay up to $3,000.00 for them.

• Klipsch Employees

One thing that most do not do when upgrading is change the tweeter mount.

Pre-1985 the tweeter was mounted from behind the motor board. When we to the AK network the tweeter was moved forward to be flush with the outside of the motor board and "Z" brackets were added. This helped with the time alignment of the drivers. Changing from an AA to something else without changing the tweeter placement can cause a "dip/notch" in the response at the HF xover point.

Steve P and I hope to cover this as the manual for the AK-4 upgrade is made.

• Klipsch Employees

One thing that most do not do when upgrading is change the tweeter mount.

Pre-1985 the tweeter was mounted from behind the motor board. When we went to the AK network the tweeter was moved forward to be flush with the outside of the motor board and "Z" brackets were added. This helped with the time alignment of the drivers. Changing from an AA to something else without changing the tweeter placement can cause a "dip/notch" in the response at the HF xover point.

Steve P and I hope to cover this as the manual for the AK-4 upgrade is made.