Craig gives birth to another 222C.

Lonelobo

Well, it's time to acknowledge all of Craig's (NOS 440)help in getting my Scott 222C up and going. He held my hand, offered sage advise, and refrained from telling me to put my tongue on that big silver can in the back to see if it was hot. I sit here listening to Midnight Oil and all I can say is "WOW"! For those who don't remember my previous gloat of several months ago, I found the 222C at an estate sale for $5. After bringing it up on a variac, it was a true hummer. Hum in both channels...and some distortion to boot. So with Craig's help and advice, I replaced all the non-polar caps under the chasis with Orange Drop 715's and the big positive grounded 75/75/75/75 multi-section can with a Vibroworld custom replacement cause it showed signs of leaking. A week or so ago I finally found time to put it to the test. I fired it up and it sounded pretty good through an LP and a half before sputtering, clicking, blowing the fuse, and going dead. Just before this it exhibited some distortion as well. Back to Craig for more advice. I found that even 20 minutes after blowing the fuse, the 20/20/20/20 mf multi-section was still hot enough to burn flesh. Don't ask me how I know this. Got a JJ replacement can and fired it up again. True bliss at last..... I've been listening for a few hours and it seems to be sounding better and better. So altogether I've got the following money into the beast.

$5....Amp

$18....715 Caps

$30....Vibroworld Multi-Section Can

$15....JJ Multi-Section Can and mounting clamp

$68 Total for a butt kickin restored Scott 222C.

Now it's time to try to restore an Eico ST70 I picked up at another estate sale. I'm especially looking forward to listening to it as it's packed with Mullard and Western Electric tubes.....Life is good.....

Thanks Craig!!!!!!!!!!!!

My advice to all here is to send your gear to Craig if it's in need of attention . You won't be disappointed.

Another kudo in the craig pot , must be getting close to full by now . lol

Great work on the 222c , nice to see these vintage amps restored. I could not even begin to imagine how many of these things hit the thrash bin years ago. What a shame indeed.

Now guy's a locked in bidding wars over them , wish i had a few hundred of them in storage. Could make some good cash .

Craig's da man!

A month ago I came across an H.H. Scott preamp (forgot the model, but it was a kit, I think), and the first person I thought of was Craig...I almost bought it, but I knew better of it because it was only a matter of time before I'd be laid off, and I won't have the extra money to spend on audio for quite some time. I'm still looking for work (been 2 weeks now), but there will be more tube amps/preamps out there that I can finally latch on to that could be brought back to life from NOSValve's skills!

Enjoy your 222C!

Hoo Hah! Congratulations !

One caution though !

While the problem very likely was a bad filter cap there is still the possibility that it was a failure in another component that blew that cap up. Don't leave that thing on and unattended until you are sure that the cap itself really was the problem. Electrolytics are robust litlle SOB's and will frequently continue operating for quite some time under undue stress before failing.

Things that can eat a filter cap:

Bad rectifier

Plate shorts in o/p tubes

wonky power transformer

As noted above the failure was most likely merely a bad cap but watch for these other possibilities.

lynnm is absolutely correct althougn the chances are slim that it is anything other than the can went bad. I personally try to advise all my customers not to leave there amps on when there out of ears shot for very long. You just never know and the added sound quality of leaving your amp on isn't worth the chance or the wear & tear on tubes and other components . I just flip my amp on when I get home if I know I will be doing some serious listening later !

Lonelobo,

No thanks required you did a bang up job !! Did you not replace the other can also ? You really should usually if they start going bad they all go slowly. You can order this one from vibraworld or I have a way to do it with a JJ and seperate under chassis axail types. I think vibraworld is able to make that one 2X30 @ 450V and 2X30 @ 50V upping the value will get you closer to what the original realy was when new. The Sprague's Scott used were always above the stated value.

Craig

It is with mixed emotions that I hear from Ron that the Scott is hot to trot. I suspect that means the Heresies in my Living Room will be leaving soon. Guess that means the Frazier Monte Carlos come out of the attic...

Wait a minute...storage charges for six months...hmmm. About the price of used Heresies. :-)

Dave