Pictures of $500.00 Cornwalls

01collect01

Yes, you were right I am located right outside of Richmond in GlenAllen, Va. Give me a call and we an set up a time for you to see them. P.S. call me biased but I like the cane better than the black grill cloth. and they are already clean. no pun intended.

Thanks, Rodney

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 3/18/2003 9:57:54 PM 01collect01 wrote:

Yes, you were right I am located right outside of Richmond in GlenAllen, Va. Give me a call and we an set up a time for you to see them. P.S. call me biased but I like the cane better than the black grill cloth. and they are already clean. no pun intended.

Thanks, Rodney

----------------

Mmm.. $500 is indeed an excellent deal. I would like to try to start a two-channel system. Now, only were to put the things. They sure won't fit in with my HT system. What I got barely fits as is. Only if I hadn't already spent $900 on the pair of RF-5s I just recently added (not to mention, that I still got to repair that f'ing crack in my foundation). If I go down to Richmond to look at these things, it won't be till at least Sunday, so that'll give me a couple days to think about it. I'll certainly will let you know if and when I'd like to come down and look at those.

Well, if I end up with these, that will rule out getting one of these for my home network.

----------------

On 3/19/2003 12:07:41 AM Bill H. wrote:

sky,

How much would the 80gb storage dirve set you back...............?

----------------

I saw prices on the internet ranging from around $450 to $550 for the unit. However, I did get an excellent deal on a western digital 120gb Harddrive. I got it for around $85 bucks. I stuck in my Win2K box and will use that as the file server. Having that NAS unit sure would be nicer and much easier than maintaining the win2K box.

Rodney,

Congrats on your speakers.

I have black speaker covers, but i have not had them on my speakers since the day I bought them last january. to me they sound better with them off.

I am wondering if that is how you have your speakers placed, in the corners?

How do you like the sound? I'm still experimenting.

Enjoy your speakers because I know I am.

Danny

Rodney - I e-mailed you from work today but left early so I don't know if you responded. If Frzninvt doesn't want them, Im only a couple hours away and would love to take a serious look. I wouldn't drive 2 hours through VA if I wasn't serious! Let me know the status and where I can reach you tonight or tomorrow. If you already replied to my e-mail, I'll see it in the AM. I'd love a second pair of CWs for my music room downstairs. I was going to wait and try to find some K-horns but after measuring my stairway I'm about 1 1/2 inches shy of fitting them through the door. Thanks!!!

----------------

On 3/19/2003 8:13:04 PM garymd wrote:

I wouldn't drive 2 hours through VA if I wasn't serious! Let me know the status and where I can reach you tonight or tomorrow. If you already replied to my e-mail, I'll see it in the AM. I'd love a second pair of CWs for my music room downstairs.

----------------

I was seriously considering them myself. I am only 45 minutes away. However, I have way to many other (more important) things I need the money for. Had I not already spent money on those RF-5s, I would have definitly gotten these. It is not just the $500 for the speakers. I would have to get something for amplification as well as a nice TT and CD player (and all the cabling to connect everything). By the time I would be done, that would easily be around $2000, which I am just going to need for other things right now. Unfortunatly, I think I am going to have to back-out on this one. If you can score them, awesome! I guess I'll keep a look out for that pair of LaScalas... Maybe next year, another pair of something like this will show up, especially by than, I'll have all my student loans paid off as well as my car.

Too bad, garymd. I hate when something like that would happen to me. And just when you think you've got 'em right in your hands, someone else sneaks in and nabs 'em from you! Well, there will be others to come along. Hope it was someone from these Forums that will really appreciate them (and tell us about them).

Nope, it wasn't me either. Would have liked them myself, but other things came up that required the money more. Also, I would not have been able to get to them until Sunday anyway, so somebody basically beat me to them also.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep my eye out for another oppurtunity.

Sorry guys but I'm the one that bought Rodneys cornwalls. I took off work friday afternoon to go get them. I live in roanoke, va about 3 hours away.

Turned out to be a great buy. All original in very good condition. Grills are good. Only thing wrong is they are missing the klipsch name tags on the grills and the wood is pretty dry. I oiled them heavily in boiled linseed oil last night and again today. I'll do it again tomorrow. They already look very good. Hooked them up last night and they sound great. I messed with HT for a while but really only watch movies maybe a couple of times a year. My real interest is music. I have a 2 channel setup using a pioneer sx-1280 receiver driving, now the cornwalls, and a pair of Chorus I's. I run both at the same time and I can assure you the sound is outstanding. the

cornwalls are replacing a pair of klf-20s which in themselves are very good sounding speakers. I will probably set those up in the living room for the wife to listen to while she is cleaning house. My listening room is 14X21 and both sets are more than enough to make the room rock. I have been a klipsch fan for about 3 years now after buying the klf-20's. I have owned jbls, infinities, bics, sansui's, bose(real trash), kenwoods and corals. Seems I was always looking for a 'certain' sound. I do believe I have found it now. I had planned on buying some cornerhorns when I got moved into my new house but really couldn't pass up this deal. I may still purchase them in the future but will always keep these corns and the chorus's. The chorus's are also great speakers. Not as extended in the lows, but tighter sound to the bass. I'd be hard pressed now to make a choice between them and the cornwalls. They are both outstanding classics.

Dave Potter

this is only my second post. I only found this site a couple of weeks ago. I posted on the 'what to use on oiled speakers' thread after I read the info from hdbrbuilder about what the factory used on the speakers when they were produced. The corns and the chorus's are both oiled walnut. I tried his recommendation of using boiled linseed oil on the chorus and they look just like they came from the factory. For those with oiled finishes I would highly recommend it.

Dave

Congrats, Dave. You will indeed love your NEW Cornwalls...I know I do with mine. I gave up a pair of magnificent sounding Magnepan MGLR1 planars for these horn loudspeakers (also owned JBL L112 Century II monitors, outstanding also), and I do not regret the tradeoff one single bit! Glad their walnut veneer cleaned up real good for you. HDBRbuilder knows his stuff when it comes to the building and maintenance of Klipsch loudspeakers (he built my Cornwalls in '79).

Enjoy your latest purchase!

Way to go Dave, you SOB. Just kidding. You'll really enjoy them. I really can't complain too much since I've enjoyed mine for the past 23 years. Another pair would have just been icing on the cake. Too windy for golf today so I think I'll watch the war for a while and listen to some tunes. Congrats.

----------------

On 3/23/2003 12:04:26 AM dp1954 wrote:

Sorry guys but I'm the one that bought Rodneys cornwalls. I took off work friday afternoon to go get them. I live in roanoke, va about 3 hours away.

Dave

----------------

I also want to say congrats - you did indeed get an excellent deal. I guess it is also appropriate to say thanks to Rodney to offer them up on here before going to say, eBay, for such an excellent price.

I really think you'll greatly enjoy those and I am glad that somebody that will really apprecieate them has gotten them. I'll continue to rock-on with my RF-7s 9.gif. I am still planning on putting together a dedicated two-channel setup anchored by something from the Heritage line. The search goes on, especially once I get the student loans and car paid off...

I appreciate the responses from you guys. Yes I will enjoy them and they will be around for a long time to come. I oiled them for the 3rd time today

and they are back to looking new again. Great condition. I am also starting to get used to them. they have a lot 'more' bass than the chorus's.

Just not as tight but very very good. I really couldn't tell from the picture that Rodney posted what kind of grills they had on them Turns out that they are cane. Really nice retro look that goes well with my sx-1280.

By the way, anybody use one of these receivers. It is really a nice unit. I purchased it on ebay about 2 years ago. It too is mint. I also brought my chorus's on ebay for 700. cost me 200 in shipping to get them here from GA but they have been well worth it. they don't have a scratch on them. I only signed up for this BB a couple of weeks ago and happened to see the post for the cornwalls for sell. Timely look for me. I will continue to read this forum with interest and post where I feel competent.

Dave