Bybee Filters

Speedy

After monitoring this board for over 2 years I finally have something useful to post. I have been auditioning a pair of Bybee Quantum Purifiers ($85/ea at www.cryotweaks.com) on my La Scalas for the past month. These simple, inexpensive and completely passive noise reduction devices were reportedly derived from Navy sonar technology. You simply clip or solder one of these capacitor sized devices to the positive lead of each of your speakers. According to the manufacturer, all electronic music reproduction systems add specific types of noise to the music signal and this noise is often manifested as a lack of detail, focus, resolution. Removal of this noise, then, should restore these qualities. I am happy to say that my experience totally confirms this. The difference was both obvious and subtle. I immediately noticed a cleaner, clearer, and larger sonic image. My system sounded that much more like live music. It took a bit longer for me to realize that I was also hearing new information in recordings that I was very familiar with. This may be a cliche but it is absolutely true (and I am not one to hear an audible difference in cryogenically treated power cables, etc.). Individual notes were more distinct, subtle musical threads were more separated from each other. There is a ton of interesting technical information and reviews on the website. I have no personal stake in this company or product. I am just a big fan.

I don't know how to review/recommend something without it looking like spam. Again, I assure you that I have no stake in this company. The only negative reviews I have seen of the Bybee filters were from self procalimed engineers who dismiss them on theory without actually trying them. On the other hand I have seen some gflowing reviews from reputable folks who've actually tried them. I don't believe in every wacky tweak out there but I will try anything. These, in my opinion, are the best tweak available for the money. I use a pair of 3.5 watt SET amps with my La Scalas and adding the Bybees made as big a difference as when I changed from cheap RCA tubes to NOS Mullards.

I can assure you I am not a *self*-proclaimed engineer; I earned it. And again, there is no noise on the DC from a battery!

It is difficult not to find improvement when one makes his own tweaks. If it is supposed to be better, it WILL sound better.

This exactly why I hesitated to post anything here for so long. As I stated, I have found some useful tweaks here and I was simply trying to return the favor by suggesting something that has worked very well for me. I understand skepticism. I don't understand how anyone can be so sure about something they haven't personally tried. The Bybee's are very easy to A/B test and they have a money back guarantee, so no one has anything to lose by actually trying them. Certainly they won't work for everyone to the degree that they did for me. It would be shame, however, if someone who could have benefitted from them didn't because of some know-it-all's uninformed opinion.

I too have noticed that this is a heated topic on many other boards.

I decided to try them myself at the recommendation of a trusted friend, rather than trust a stranger's opinion. I am glad I did. Like Speedy said, they are easy to A/B test, and with the money back guarantee it is a no-brainer.

I noticed one of the posters (Mr. Albright) owns some Parasound equipment. I think he would be surprised to find out that Mr. Bob Crump (designer, engineer extraordinaire) of Parasound loves the Bybee filters, and highly recommends them.

John Curl (engineer and audio designer) also recommends them highly. I say: why criticize and peg the BS meter if you can try them money back? I am always willing to listen to fellow hobbiests who try something and then give feedback about it, if not I would not have looked into tube amps, SET amps, higher quality cables, isolation products, outboard DACs, etc. I tend to give the most weight to people who try something and then give me feedback. to date, most of the people I see on AA screaming in anguish about the bybees seem to be people who have not tried them in their systems. Do they work? are they science? I don't know but many people (some who's opinion carry some wieght with me) say they improved the sound of their systems. regards, tony

Well Speedy - I may have jumped the gun on the spam comment - my apologies if so. When a first time poster touts a product and includes where to look for the product and the price within the first two sentences my warning flags are raised. I wish you well with this new sound you now have.

As to A/B - I have two folks that have proven over the years to have similar tastes and share my opnions on the way equipment and loudspeakers sound A/B the Quantum Purifiers. Both could not tell any difference - while they may be in a small group that can't hear the difference, I am probably right there with them (since our tastes and opinions are so similar).

Bybee sure gets some good press and far be it from me to 'engineer speak' - so I leave it to each their own.

• 8 months later...

Looking at the website, I'm not inclined to buy, except maybe to test them.

There seems to be just enough truth to make it look legit, and enough nonesense to make me warry. There are too many half statements.

There is an implication the work is classified. These are sold on the open market. Huh?

It is like my take on super wire. Just show everyone a real world noise test. I'd think that if there is any merit to the claims, "real" engineers and manufacturers would be beating a path to his door. Howcome the best engineers in the commercial world have not turned on?

There is a lot of self deception in the world. It is an near accusatory statement and don't take it too harshly. Linus Paule evidently went to his death bed believing vitamin C could cure the common cold. One well respected physicist believes that wire is directional. Belden has never published this "fact" and I'd think they'd know.

I also have a little disappointment with Nelson Pass. He went through a detailed analysis of speaker wire, pointing to obvious. Then in the last paragraph he said something to the effect of . . . "If people think they hear a difference, who am I to say otherwise."

Ed Dell publishes some very welcome audio magazines, which I subscribe to. He had an editorial explaining away objective results, etc. It is just nuts. Or it drives me nuts. The underlying thought is that any test which debunks is somehow flawed by definition. Yes, he published the Nelson Pass article.

It is just a bit OT. When I was a kid, the independant channel had a kid's Saturday morning show and "The Amazing Randi" was a sometimes performer of magic, mentalism, etc. A good stage magician.

In later days he published a book, "Flim Flam". He takes a stong position on psychic phenomenon. His organization has $10,000 for anyone who can demonstrate any psychic demonstration under controlled conditions to a panel of stage magicians. So far, no takers.

That is the way it has to be in our "science". Anyone with magic has to show it. Otherwise it is like the "Indian Rope Trick" where people know people who believe they've seen it.

In my view, it is fair to make such demands.

Ahhh, I feel much better now.

Gil

----------------

On 3/22/2003 9:24:58 AM Speedy wrote:

The only negative reviews I have seen of the Bybee filters were from self procalimed engineers who dismiss them on theory without actually trying them

----------------

Perhaps your intentions were good... but hwatkins put it best in his retraction...:

----------------

When a first time poster touts a product and includes where to look for the product and the price within the first two sentences my warning flags are raised.

----------------

There are some simple things which will make a post be more believable to those reading it including...

1- be involved in the forums, even if it's just small talk. These forums are a community open to anyone who wishes to join... familiarity, friendship and trust is gained through posting. Just because someone says they trustworthy doesn't make it so, after all, I get emails daily from "reputable Nigerian businessmen" but you don't see me sending them money.

2- Insulting established and trusted members only discredits one own post... as there are many "earned engineers" on these forums. Most of the people who posted replies here have a long history on this forum... obviously their opinions will hold more weight

Hopefully your future interactions on this forum in the next coming years will entice the members to relook your tweak... but as it now stands, I too am sceptic on the possible benefits of these filters.

Rob

As a (very)overaged student I get to talk to some of the "heavy hitters" in the EE dept. and one of them who I respect greatly says the same thing as your Nuclear physicist friend. As a matter of fact when I showed a print out of both the Bybee ad and some of the raging debate among audiophiles on the web that I printed for him and others, he looked at me as if I were nuts, as in "you believe this?". But to be fair he has never used them, he likewise uses Klipsch though I'm not sure if he has the Heritage series........

Another EE here says BULL$HIT! It's total nonsense!! The things probably contain nothing more than a simple coil that filters out everything above 40kHz (or something like that). They can afford to offer their money back guarantee because they are making SO much money on these "snake-oil" items. It's a risk versus reward thing. People hear a difference only because they want to -- plain and simple. PT Barum put is best, "there is a sucker born every minute"!